Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anybody heard of callanetics?

• 08-12-2009 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi just wondering if there are any fans out there?
    I have been doing it for years, absolutely adore it.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Bolloxology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

squod wrote: »
    Bolloxology.

That's rude!

It's exercise, close enough to Pilates and stuff like that. If it works, don't knock it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

Reminds me of Tai Chi.

Its far superior to doing nothing.

EileenG wrote: »
    That's rude!

It does seem rude, I'm old so I can remember the woman who invented it. 'New age' I suppose you could say. She did change her name to Callan. Her numerologist told her to. After hearing the stories surrounding her I never bothered with the exercises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

I don't know much about Callanetics Exercises however certain statement from an article caught my eye

This program is so remarkably effective that just one hour of Callanetics exercises has the tightening and lifting value of 20 hours of aerobics.

http://www.callanetics.com/method.php

is it really?

OP...Since you you have been doing it for years would you please elaborate
    more on the topic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 oatsareclass

squod, i really think you should read up on, and actually try something before making such a strong judgement. I am the most skeptical person around, and try to avoid any new age mumbo jumbo, but these exercises are amazing. They are like a mix of ballet and yoga, and use tiny pulsing movements to strengthen and condition muscles in a very short time.

see the 142 reviews on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-VHS-Eve-Brody/dp/6300185486

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭Lothaar

Callanetics is based on isometric movements. It's like pilates, except better (IMO).

My wife has been doing it for yonks and it rules. Don't pay any attention to the hyperbole on the website - that would scare me off, to be honest.

Callan Pinckley was a ballet dancer until an accident (I think it was skiing) left her with a seriously bad back. She devloped Callanetics as a way to increase strength and flexibility with minimum stress on your back and joints in general. All the movements are slow and controlled. I've a bit of a bad back, and I found these exercises very comfortable.

Whether or not you have a bad back, Callanetics is the shizzle!

My missus has all the videos and DVDs (some from the 80s, some new) and swears by them. She currently does the 'mini-workouts' (20 mins a pop) five nights a week, just after the kids go to bed.

In fact, she did Callanetics five days a week during her last pregancy right up to the day before she gave birth. Labour lasted 20 mins (might have been a coincidence) and she walked out of the hospital in her pre-pregnancy jeans (definitely not a coincidence). Within a month she pretty much had her pre-pregnancy body back.

I can't endorse Callanetics enough.

There are a million threads on Callanetics, along with anecdotal evidence of its benefits, here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/exercise-board/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭TheJones

callanetics? not quite boloxology but not far off, remember anything endorsed by Madonna should be viewed with severe caution, not taking anything away from the ballet dancer who invented it I'd have to put more faith in other forms of exercise such as Pilates etc. which have a scientifically proven history of sucess in aerobics and rehabilitation and up until recently was still considrered ''new age''!

However if it works for you, no ones going to stop you just don't start eating raw meat and adopting poor African children!

squod and TheJones - have you guys ever tried it? Do you know anything about it other than stories about Callan and Madonna?

By the way, I've never heard ANY of the stuff you've referenced. My wife has practiced it for about 15 years, on and off, and has only had positive experiences.

I wouldn't feel justified in posting a requested opinion about a particular subject had I not previous experience. In short yes I have tried callanetics, it was part of a PT instructors cardio routine which I relunctantly but diligently participated in for just under a month after which we requested the instructor be replaced. This was subsequently granted.

For the record if you or your wife find something you enjoy and are experiencing benefit in kind then I wish you the all the best. But I along with most are of the opinion that any form of physical motion is better than none at all and wonder if you wouldn't also feel some benefit from a routine of stretching and running on the spot for ten minutes rather than this codology. There has been no clinical testing or verification of any Callanetic routines such as but not limited to,''Quick Callanetics-Hips & Behind” and “Quick Callanetics-Stomach'' which are in reality have far more in common with a celebrity fitness DVD than any beneficial form of exercise.

• Advertisement

Lothaar wrote: »
    squod and TheJones - have you guys ever tried it? Do you know anything about it other than stories about Callan and Madonna?

By the way, I've never heard ANY of the stuff you've referenced. My wife has practiced it for about 15 years, on and off, and has only had positive experiences.
    squod, i really think you should read up on, and actually try something before making such a strong judgement. I am the most skeptical person around, and try to avoid any new age mumbo jumbo, but these exercises are amazing. They are like a mix of ballet and yoga, and use tiny pulsing movements to strengthen and condition muscles in a very short time.

see the 142 reviews on amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/Callanetics-VHS-Eve-Brody/dp/6300185486

Good points, well made. I'll have a look.

TheJones, i would say you didnt have a qualified teacher...if you go on their website they actually only have one qualified teacher in Ireland, in Dublin i think.

TheJones wrote: »
    I have tried callanetics, it was part of a PT instructors cardio routine which I relunctantly but diligently participated in for just under a month after which we requested the instructor be replaced.

Callanetics is not cardio. I'm not surprised you asked for your instructor to be replaced! Oh, and Pilates wouldn't have many aerobic benefits, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

Interesting that you use the term 'codology' without providing anything to back up your broadside on a subject that you appear to have little knowledge of. THAT is codology.

Thus far, your argument consists of:
    1. Madonna endorses it (apparently), so it must be bad.
    2. You think Pilates is better.
    3. The person who invented it changed her first name, so she's a crazy hippy (?).
    4. A PT instructor made you do callanetics as cardio exercise (which I find hard to believe, tbh).
    5. Running on the spot and stretching would be just as good! You think. (Even though running on the spot would be a completely different type of exercise.)
    6. It sounds like a celebrity fitness DVD. (Unlike the millions of pilates and yoga DVDs with similar titles and formats.)

What can I say? You've convinced me. :rolleyes:

I can't believe I'm getting into this but heres the response to your bullet points,

1. Madonna does endorse it and that is bad very very bad, however was only using it satirically to make a point.

2. Despite pilates having clinically tested and verified benefits for exercise and rehabilitation I did not say it was better than any other form of exercise and was simply drawing comparisons to another discipline which until recently was also considered 'new age', arguing to an earlier post that one shouldn't dismiss callanetics on the sole fear of it being 'new age' but should question its claimed benefits which are derived without any scientifically verified proof whatsoever.

3. I never mentioned the inventor and was only aware of it being derived from ballet movements, however if it is indeed true that this person changed her name to give some credibility to this nonsense in trying to mimic the success of 'pilates' for instance which subsequently is simply named after Joseph Pilates then I do have to ask questions concerning the actual benefits of this untested exercise.

4. Although you might find it hard to believe a PTI did indeed try using this as a cardio warm up, it is shockingly true and the cause of her replacement, a quick google has listed numerous other dvd, books and literature but try the below link if you still need more proof; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lw_UiILQvw

5. ''Running on the spot'', it may have come across as sarcastic but as the previous poster did not list what actual benefit they obtained by partaking in callanetic routines I was again asking if similiar weight loss/ fitness levels would not be achieved instead by a warm up and stretching session followed by a spot run. I believe you missed the point as was trying to say that doing any physical exercise is better than none at all and don't believe that callanetics would be any more beneficial than any other form of light exercise.

6. I agree with you whole heartly, there are alot of terrible celeb, yoga and pilates fitness dvd's and they are all God awful, but these are no better, just another way to take your money while providing minimal returns. Money that would be better spent in purchasing a good quality pair of trainers and going for a jog!

And finally I'm not trying to convince anyone, it may surprise you to know that I don't care what exercise anyone does, if you believe its beneficial then congratulations and all the best but this thread was started to ask for opinions and you got one.

wow, didnt mean to start any arguments guys!!!!, just wanted to know how well known it is in Ireland, as i am moving home next year and hope to begin classes in the method.... (am currently in training)....anyway...everyone is entitled to an opinion, but i do think its a little unfair to knock something on the grounds of some celebrity endorsing it....i think you can find madonna endorsing a little bit of every exercise technique ever known to man if you try hard enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

there are quicker ways of getting better results is all.

might be good for a very small proportion of the population but there is no way i would spend even 20mins with a client doing them as again there are better ways and things have moved on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

Transform wrote: »
    might be good for a very small proportion of the population

It's the ideal way to introduce people into fitness, especially for sedentary individuals who have never exercised before and/or are limited in their range of motion (e.g. arthritis)

Many people who exercise regularly don't seem to realise that there are loads of people who can't even perform one single bodyweight squat. Such people are petrified by the thought of getting assessed in a gym, and as a result, stay well away.

Callanetic classes get them doing something, and greatly helps give them some much needed self-confidence and motivation to progress further.

It doesn't matter how good a particular exercise style or nutrition program is. If a person is not motivated and doesn't enjoy what they're doing, they won't last very long at all.

Callanetics is an ideal entry point for people who are typically intimidated by conventional gyms, which typically cater for 20-35 year olds. They can always progress to the likes of Pilates, Yoga and strength training soon afterwards.

I agree with both of the above posts!

Lifting weights is undoubtedly a quicker way to get results. Callanetics is a very good home exercise, though, requiring no equipment. For anyone using exercise DVDs, these are the best I've come across. My wife doesn't have time to go to the gym (two kids, fulltime job)... and doesn't like the gym anyway! She cycles 2 hours a day, to and from work... so there's her cardio. She does Callanetics for a bit of resistance and flexibility training.

TheJones - that 'Cardio Callanetics' stuff is indeed dubious. I'm not sure how they got to use the name, as it seems very different to Callan's exercises. Possibly just cashing in. I would agree that, if you want an aerobic workout, you'd be better off buying some runners and hitting the road. The regular Callanetics is more like Pilates/Yoga, involving stretching and isometric movements. There's no cardio aspect at all.

It depends on your goals. My wife's goals are perfectly satisfied by cycling, Callanetics and a solid diet. Personally, I much prefer to hit the gym. But I'm not into exercise DVDs.

well think about it - how often does 99% of the population NEED to perform a squat every day? Going to the loo and sitting into/out of a chair comes to mind.

I have a client in her 70's and on day one we were doing squats (with a swiss ball at first) - of couse callanetics is good for entry level but even at entry level i would be looking at limitations caused by poor flexibility, weak muscles etc and work on that not just throw in callanetics becuse its easy to started with.

would i like it if my mum did a class like this - yes! I would be delighted for her to get up off her bum and move a bit more but i again think this form of exercise is going to appeal to those looking for exercise without really getting to the real nuts and bolts of training and if that is good for them then cool.

wow guys i think its funny how much you all think callanetics is a walk in the park, for elderly etc....it is FAR from it let me tell you. If done correctly, i believe it tightens the body faster than pilates or yoga...i wont go into weight training, i know weight training works well, but i personally dont like the jerking involved with using machines. I like to be able to tighten up anwhere, not need a gym, or weights or other equipment. For me, i see dramatic results in my belly flab after 2 sessions of callanetics, and i cant say that for ANY other exercise i have tried. Also with regard to the cardiocallanetics, it is legit and while it is quite different to the traditional exercises, it is still under the Callanetics Management Company in Chicago...so its all legit.
    I hope that when i am fully trained and move home (to Galway) that i will be able to convince some of you callanetics non-believers out there!

Cheers :-)

• Advertisement

wow guys i think its funny how much you all think callanetics is a walk in the park, for elderly etc....it is FAR from it let me tell you. If done correctly, i believe it tightens the body faster than pilates or yoga...i wont go into weight training, i know weight training works well, but i personally dont like the jerking involved with using machines. I like to be able to tighten up anwhere, not need a gym, or weights or other equipment. For me, i see dramatic results in my belly flab after 2 sessions of callanetics, and i cant say that for ANY other exercise i have tried. Also with regard to the cardiocallanetics, it is legit and while it is quite different to the traditional exercises, it is still under the Callanetics Management Company in Chicago...so its all legit.
    I hope that when i am fully trained and move home (to Galway) that i will be able to convince some of you callanetics non-believers out there!

again it is not about being a non-believer its that ANY trainer worth their salt knows there are faster ways of getting in shape.

Weight training and jerky motions?
    weight training and needing equipment?

Come on give me a break! I have posted plenty of videos showing clients working out or me doing demos of exercises that require NO equipment and NO jerky motions.

Finally, please stop trying to sell it to the reader based on 'noticable difference in belly flab after 2 sessions' as it reads like a commercial. Again if it works for you then super but i would argue that there are wayyyyyyyyy faster ways to get in shape without equipment and for the average person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Bodysmart

For me, i see dramatic results in my belly flab after 2 sessions of callanetics, and i cant say that for ANY other exercise i have tried.

Decreasing bodyfat is mainly down to improving your eating habits.

Even if callanetics was 10 times as good as yoga, pilates and strength training, it would still do little to nothing to directly decrease your belly flab after just 2 sessions. It will only strengthen and build the muscles underneath the flab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Words in bold say it all really.

OP its great that it works for you - but on the other hand it just goes to show how much you really know about fitness by the bolded statements. Biggest fitness misconceptions rolled into 13 words there.

god you guys are tough on here!
    all im saying is weight training isnt for me, i know it works, but i feel it does nothing to keep you flexible and light as yoga, pilates, callanetics. And yes you may think im talking crap about the belly flab in 2 sessions, but seriously, if i have something coming up and want to tighten up quickly, i do a few sessions....it works for me, in saying that i dont have a lot of fat to lose, and know it is not quite as easy as a few sessions for everyone....

god you guys are tough on here!
    all im saying is weight training isnt for me, i know it works, but i feel it does nothing to keep you flexible and light as yoga, pilates, callanetics. And yes you may think im talking crap about the belly flab in 2 sessions, but seriously, if i have something coming up and want to tighten up quickly, i do a few sessions....it works for me, in saying that i dont have a lot of fat to lose, and know it is not quite as easy as a few sessions for everyone....
    yes it works for you and if you go work with a couple hundred people a year your ideas on training might change quite dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kickbox6

Did callanetics for a year, definite excellent results but have to do 100 reps of most movements to get there, 2-3 times per week, switched to pilates when discovered could get same with 10-20 reps of pilates movements, plus prefer the attention to core contraction and breathing with pilates. Def works though

i would say thats all for this thread....

MODs please close or delete
    cheers

Advertisement