Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The City Gallery is to be extended - will this encroach into the Park?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

This story was in the Leader this evening.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/City-gallery-of-Art-to.5893531.jp

Apparently the City Gallery is too overcrowded, and it is planning to extend on three sides.

Which leads me to think that the People's Park will shrink.

The Park already lost space in the opposite corner to that hideous block of apartments during the Celtic Tiger years. No fault of the City Gallery perhaps.

However, if the City Gallery does need to expand, I'd much rather it relocated rather than take away the space of a valuable public amenity.

Many visitors I've spoken to speak very highly of the park but not so much of the Gallery. (Maybe they found it too overcrowded - though in fact most of them just told me they thought it was boring, each to their own when it comes to art I suppose...)

It just seems a pity that should these plans go ahead, the Park will be further reduced in size.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

In recent years it has become acceptable to build stuff in The Peoples Park.

A few years back the Pery Family donated a large plot of land to the City for the use of the People of Limerick. They envisioned People reading books on the grass on sunny evenings and kids playing chase in the midst of all the greenery and flowers.

The Limerick City Planners envisioned something altogether different and merrily facilitated the building of retail units and Apartments because Vermin like those enjoy the petitioning company of W@nker Developers chasing tax breaks, planning permission irregularities, corruption and moral vacuums to the whole dull realm of Kids playing games of soccer on Parkland.

- I think they are aiming to have the entire Park built on by 2050 with the exception of a small concrete plinth in the very centre with a potted geranium perched on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭phog

gaf1983 wrote: »
    The Park already lost space in the opposite corner to that hideous block of apartments during the Celtic Tiger years. No fault of the City Gallery perhaps.

However, if the City Gallery does need to expand, I'd much rather it relocated rather than take away the space of a valuable public amenity.

The appartments are not built on what we know or knew as the park.

Is the City Gallery not a public amenity?

phog wrote: »
    The appartments are not built on what we know or knew as the park.

Is the City Gallery not a public amenity?

WE know or knew? ??? You should really speak for yourself - That land was in the park in every respect imaginable - rather than being planted with bedding flowers etc. as the rest of the park was it was just cut grass and lots of it - perfectly suited to soccer, picnics, Kids playing or relaxing after work on any evening in the year.

Furthermore when the appartments and shops were constructed in highly suspicious and in my opinion, under circumstances probably brought about through boundless corruption and greed they created an eyesore visible form anywhere within the Park - wheelie bins, balconies full of shíte, washing lines, etc. - Its a Monument to how low Public bodies can stoop if they are paid well enough to prostitute themselves.

- That Gallery is visited by .00001% of the City's population once every Century - If they lack space to hang their dull paint splays and unappealing Masterpieces then let them relocate somewhere practical......

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I honestly had no idea that building was an art gallery, shows how much its publicised

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Raiser wrote: »
    - That Gallery is visited by .00001% of the City's population once every Century - If they lack space to hang their dull paint splays and unappealing Masterpieces then let them relocate somewhere practical......

There's actually some great stuff in that gallery, just because you couldn't be arsed checking it out doesn't mean nobody else goes there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

krudler wrote: »
    I honestly had no idea that building was an art gallery, shows how much its publicised

My girlfriend took a friend of hers over from Prague to visit the gallery last year. Her words to describe it were 'embarrassing'.

WE know or knew? ??? You should really speak for yourself - That land was in the park in every respect imaginable - rather than being planted with bedding flowers etc. as the rest of the park was it was just cut grass and lots of it - perfectly suited to soccer, picnics, Kids playing or relaxing after work on any evening in the year.
    Furthermore when the appartments and shops were constructed in highly suspicious and in my opinion, under circumstances probably brought about through boundless corruption and greed they created an eyesore visible form anywhere within the Park - wheelie bins, balconies full of shíte, washing lines, etc. - Its a Monument to how low Public bodies can stoop if they are paid well enough to prostitute themselves.

The area where the appartments occupy was unused ground, a laneway to and including the bedding area and office space for the parks department, all of this was outside the "enclosed park area" the public had no access rights to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

The area where the appartments occupy was unused ground, a laneway to and including the bedding area and office space for the parks department, all of this was outside the "enclosed park area" the public had no access rights to it.

Unused in what way..I live beside it and have done for most of my life...it is still an extremely sore point in both mine and the residents in the area. The area was often used by locals to walk their dogs and for children to play in an area where there is extremely busy roads...when the park was closed. The land was owned by the people of Limerick and should have remained so. The cottages that lay on the site were bulldozed to the ground and our heritage destroyed. Another house lay at the end of the site...which was burned to the ground as the owner refused to move out. Another resident of the laneway was compulsory purchased out of his home for over 50 yrs and was given a house in Griffith Ave in weston....all because of greed....and in my opinion the whole site should be bulldozed as they are an eyesore, especially from within the park where you can no longer sit in the sun and enjoy the peace and tranquility as now you are blown out of it from people sitting out on there balconys...And blasting there radios....

There's actually some great stuff in that gallery, just because you couldn't be arsed checking it out doesn't mean nobody else goes there.

Listen Kid - I've been in that Gallery more times than your Mummy has walked in on you doing the under duvet shuffle - If you knew what you were talking about then you'd surely know that regional Art Galleries display different works at different times throughout the year - Its always been pretty poor in my experience, but in fairness, probably through no fault of their own given their tenure, funding and pretender *Cough* 'Fans'.....
    The area where the apartments occupy was unused ground, a laneway to and including the bedding area and office space for the parks department, all of this was outside the "enclosed park area" the public had no access rights to it.

There is a World where People can justify greedy People, coercing easily-influenced and corrupt people into paying People of low moral standing to burn houses, and bulldoze other houses, while happily cheating the People of Limerick out of their recreational space, all in the interests of further filling their already overflowing bank accounts......

Why? To build shops and apartments IN A PARK.

Phog - Could you please stay in that World and leave the rest of us pay our taxes, hold down a job and raise our Children?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Fuck that, I'm sick of your posts.
    Condescending bullshit does nothing to strengthen an argument, and if you're old enough to call me "kid" then you should know that by now.
    Ignored from here on out.

• Advertisement

Fuck that, I'm sick of your posts.
    Condescending bullshit does nothing to strengthen an argument, and if you're old enough to call me "kid" then you should know that by now.
    Ignored from here on out.

*Ooooh - I hate you*

*Door slams*

*ARRGHHHH*

*Its SO unfair*

*STAMP*

Good riddance Tearasil and NewHormones Kid - Come back when they've dropped......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Great news, the park is a great resource and having an improved City Art Gallery should add to that. I just hope they dont take from the building - its such an amazing building and is testiment to Carnegie, the man who funded it and donated it to the people of Limerick.
    The 'regular' displays in the Gallery can be quite boring and dull, but it really takes on a new life for the Ev+a festival. Its a great free resource which sounds like its getting bigger and better.
    Personally, I would like to see more free buildings in the city for the people - great to duck out of the rain or if you need to head to the toilet! ha..
    If the building is in keeping with the Park, I think it'll be great - that whole section is taken up by the Gallery at the moment anyway so they'd need to like double the size to infringe on the park in any meaningful way!

And with the other buildings, i think they do take from the park a little alright... but in terms of corruption or whatever - i think thats a load of rubbish! It wasnt public land to start with - it was just built beside the park! Unfortunate now that most the units remain empty and we'll see the building run down over the next decade or so though :(

steveon wrote: »
    Unused in what way..I live beside it and have done for most of my life...it is still an extremely sore point in both mine and the residents in the area. The area was often used by locals to walk their dogs and for children to play in an area where there is extremely busy roads...when the park was closed. The land was owned by the people of Limerick and should have remained so. The cottages that lay on the site were bulldozed to the ground and our heritage destroyed. Another house lay at the end of the site...which was burned to the ground as the owner refused to move out. Another resident of the laneway was compulsory purchased out of his home for over 50 yrs and was given a house in Griffith Ave in weston....all because of greed....and in my opinion the whole site should be bulldozed as they are an eyesore, especially from within the park where you can no longer sit in the sun and enjoy the peace and tranquility as now you are blown out of it from people sitting out on there balconys...And blasting there radios....

Most of what you say actually back up my posts in that the appartments weren't built in the park but in property adjacent to the park. I agree with you the appartments are an eyesore and should never have got the planning permission but that's another issue.
    Listen Kid - I've been in that Gallery more times than your Mummy has walked in on you doing the under duvet shuffle - If you knew what you were talking about then you'd surely know that regional Art Galleries display different works at different times throughout the year - Its always been pretty poor in my experience, but in fairness, probably through no fault of their own given their tenure, funding and pretender *Cough* 'Fans'.....

There is a World where People can justify greedy People, coercing easily-influenced and corrupt people into paying People of low moral standing to burn houses, and bulldoze other houses, while happily cheating the People of Limerick out of their recreational space, all in the interests of further filling their already overflowing bank accounts......

Why? To build shops and apartments IN A PARK.

Phog - Could you please stay in that World and leave the rest of us pay our taxes, hold down a job and raise our Children?

Post reported:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Aidric wrote: »
    My girlfriend took a friend of hers over from Prague to visit the gallery last year. Her words to describe it were 'embarrassing'.

Prague seems to have slipped out ahead of Limerick lately. Taking our eye off the ball here people!:mad:

I don't know what your girlfriends friend is more urgently in need of - a crash course in art appreciation or a crash course in European geography. Either way, I don't think travelling is her thing.

Apparently they're hoping to extend the building on three sides, obviously they're not building outwards into Pery Square, meaning they're going to knock the three remaining walls thus destroying the buildings original character and simultaneously encroaching on to Parkland in three directions at once..... Nice.

- Curious to see if they go all Modern Arty in Glass and Steel or try to recreate the original effect on a crap budget with new cheaply sourced stone and just fail miserably as is the norm these days.

Destroying such a nice building that has so much history and character, while building on Public Parkland is a really terrible idea. To have it done in the name of art appreciation is a sad irony.

- If they have outgrown that building they should gracefully leave it intact and relocate elsewhere......

Phog wrote:
    Post reported :mad:

I initially felt bad, was worried that I'd overstepped some mark..... but then I re-read my post - Toughen up for God's sake Phog, does everyone you meet in daily life always agree with you or something?!?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Aidric wrote: »

Really? That's a bit harsh. How many cities in Ireland even have a municipal art gallery, never mind one as big as Limerick. Yes, it needs the space to expand, particularly when you compare the spacious new sections where the temporary exhibits are and the old section at the back, but it's a fine little gallery and it's free!:D

What is embarrassing is the Modern Art gallery in Kilmainham. It has no room whatsoever, and that's a national gallery getting plenty of dosh from the central government.

As for extending the building itself, it's been done before and it can be done again.
    2hga60z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I did work experience there, I guess making it a little bigger wouldn't be too bad as long as it was filled with something good, I've seen some amazing stuff there over the years.
    The mountain of futons, I don't care what anyone said, it was killer, also the little jars with the lights, I've a photo there
    n1277863976227160862.jpg
    I did actually stay there for hours

Advertisement