Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free car parking from today!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭

Just over 1200 free car park spaces will be made available in Sligo Town from today and lasting through the Christmas period.

At last night’s monthly meeting of the Borough Council, members unanimously agreed to suspend Parking Charges in all Public Car Parks in the Town.

The move involves the suspension of “pay and display” parking, in all public car parks as and from today until 12.00 midnight on 31st December.

Its part of a bid to attract more shoppers to the Town and stem the flow of cross border shopping.

Fine Gael Councillor Matt Lyons proposed the motion last night and welcomed the fact that things have progressed so quickly.
    Source

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

About bloody time......and bugger I paid in Connaughton road today.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

magnumlady wrote: »
    About bloody time......and bugger I paid in Connaughton road today.
    Ow.. €3 daily rate? Anytime I'm in and need to go to the bank, I try JFK Parade (normally wedged) or Abbey Street as I'm not paying €3 for an hour in town.

No it was 2.50 for the day.....the end up near the hospital. I'll know tomorrow though.

Just read this....it says they aren't sure when the free parking will take place:
    http://www.sligotoday.ie/details.php?id=6943&PHPSESSID=0f56097a02c138314dccee636a9c455e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

The weekender claims that the suggestion was thrown out by the council, so no freebies.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Vorrtexx

Big_Mac wrote: »
    The weekender claims that the suggestion was thrown out by the council, so no freebies.....

Maybe the weekender went to press before it was fully decided?
    It says here that it's free.

http://www.sligoborough.ie/News/Name,15453,en.html

Parked in Connaughton Road today, no signs on meters saying free parking. Other people were paying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Truly amazing news, I knew something was strange about today when I saw a pig flying past my window this morning.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

They've no signs up on the meters, just paid it in wine st car park this evening.:rolleyes: Doubt they'l be in any hurry to put up signs or cover the meters either!:rolleyes: Now that I think of it I do remember seeing a sign opposite summerhill school about sligo borough council car parks but never passed any heed of it!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That would be fairly typical of them. It would probably cost them a tenner to photocopy a few notices, laminate them and stick them on the machines.

I wouldn't chance it if I wasn't sure, I'd buy a ticket. Yet they will clap themselves on the back at such forward thinking, and berate people for driving 40 minutes to cross the border for huge savings.

Any fees gone into those machines, if it is free parking, need to go to a local charity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

There was a sign at the top of Pearse Road this morning, just as you pass the retail park saying about the free parking but when I went to park in Connaughton Road there was no sign there and loads of people had paid. We didn't though! ^_^

Like dee o gee said, there is a sign at the roundabout by Summerhill College saying about free parking in Borough Car Parks and a from and to date were mentioned.

I saw the big sign this morning coming into town.
    The JFK machines said 'free parking'.
    I paid in Connaughton Road again, didn't pay but plenty of people did have tickets on their cars.

I saw the big sign this morning coming into town.
    The JFK machines said 'free parking'.
    I paid in Connaughton Road again, didn't pay but plenty of people did have tickets on their cars.

Do you live in a different dimension where this makes sense? ;)

Sorry heads all over the place, hubby in hospital and Jono due surgery next week....I'll crawl back under my rock.

Sorry heads all over the place, hubby in hospital and Jono due surgery next week....I'll crawl back under my rock.

Aw sweetie I'm sorry, you know I didn't mean anything. *huuuuuuugs*

Ah you're grand pet. Just don't know if I'm on my arse or my elbow at the mo:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 totomcgrath

stopped some people paying for parking, while flashing my sligo champion at them in Stephen St yesterday, seems a lot of people dont read the champion LOL.

At least the borough council have done one thing right. Its ironic that it was suggested by their arch enemy of late - the chamber of commerce... haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jeez you will have two people in hospital next week? Hope Jono gets on well! Tell him we think of him! He is such a great lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Best of luck Magnumlady. Hope all goes to plan.

Why isn't it on the meters that it is free, a sign at Summerhill isn't much use. I bet I'll forget tomorrow and pay. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 LadyDotty

I usually park in Abbey Street car park at lunch time. They are usually spaces. Today it was chocobloc for the first time in the last 7 months since I started using it. I went in after 5 and it was still packed! Unfortunately people were parked up outside on the double yellow line
    They should have done this two weeks ago, it's a great initiative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Parking in Sligo is always free. Well, at least, I've never paid for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Sligored

Drove down kennedy parade at 8.50 this morning- every car park space taken and no customers in the shops yet.
    I dont know where the shoppers are going to park.

Sligored wrote: »
    I dont know where the shoppers are going to park.
    Yep.. agreed!

Even Tesco yesterday at 7pm was absolutely wedged.. there were cars outside of spaces at turns as you drove around the car-park. A tad ridiculous!

at least you can drive through o'connel street to see the shops you can't go to because there is no parking space!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I parked in Connaughton Road car park yesterday and when I went to pay it said "Free Parking - Happy Christmas!" on the screen of the parking meter - I'd heard nothing about this, as I'm not living in Sligo at the moment, so it was a nice surprise for me :D

How's it working out though? I assume that the majority of spaces are taken by those working in the town, as opposed to shoppers?

If people are willing to pay whatever amount in petrol to go shopping in Enniskillen, unfortunately I doubt that a couple of euro saved in parking would stop them from going. Still, it's nice to see that the council are making some effort.

signs appeared at the side of the road from Dromahair (Calry) aswell to tell you it's free.

Advertisement