Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big engines, quote your MPG here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Ive found CC to be more economical than my driving too. I naturally pulse and glide, in a bad way. Every little bit of over acceleration uses up more fuel than required. CC seems to have a "lighter" constant acceleration than me.

Hollows and dips in the road? I only use it on motorways and rarely at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

cadaliac wrote: »
    WTF?
    What do you mean by this?

got the car back with cigarette ash and long hairs on the seats and floor and with over 100 additional kilometres on the clock.

I went mad at them with the crappy result of the manager calling me to say that the head mechanic took my car to see his mother in Meath.

dwsl280 wrote: »
    BMW 530D M Sport

37 MPG Motorway
    33 MPG City

Auto?

E39MSport wrote: »
    got the car back with cigarette ash and long hairs on the seats and floor and with over 100 additional kilometres on the clock.

100k = 100,000
    100km = 100 kilometers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I went mad at them with the crappy result of the manager calling me to say that the head mechanic took my car to see his mother in Meath.

In a fcukin' Suzuki!?! :D

• Advertisement

Matt Simis wrote: »
    100k = 100,000
    100km = 100 kilometers

Was asked and explained.

What is it in Europe btw?

100k = 100,000
    100km = 100 kilometers
    MCMLXXV wrote: »
    In a fcukin' Suzuki!?! :D

giz a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

In my EVO 8 GSR I was getting :-
    Town/Traffic - 18
    Heavy Foot - 11 and below
    Motorway - 26

Now have a CL7 Accord Euro R and that gets me :-
    Town/Traffic - 28
    Heavy Foot - 20 ish. Doesnt seem to stray too far below.
    Motorway - 33, could probably go higher without odd spirited catchup/overtake ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Also with bigger engine cars, the temptation always is to put the foot down. With cruise control you just sit back..

....maybe it's just me, but I find it the other way around. In a smaller car, I find myself more likely to thrash it, and the bigger one (say my 968)...I'm inclined to ride the torque, which in a big car, is at quite a low rev.

I also find an auto is more .......consistent ?....to drive as, you're inlined to drive at X speed, and the 'box/engine does what it want. In a manual, you're inclined to 'chase gears', and that becomes the arbiter of your driving speed, so depending on the car, can be anywhere from goddamn slow to too fast.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Cionád wrote: »
    :eek: Was there something wrong with it?

I'd be running the 2.3 LPT - Jeremy Clarkson calls it a turbo... :pac:

Yea loads of things, it burned oil badly and made a loud clacking sound, still id say its my favorite of all the cars i have owned by far. Id love to get a really good one some day and stick a bigger turbo and a few other bits on it, i think you can make them 300bhp easily, it was the hpt model i had with is about 190bhp i think. I think they have forged pistons and some other really good bits as standered. Anyway id highly reccomend one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

previous 330ci = 21mpg

current Q7 = 22.5 mpg

(luckily my fuel is free)

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

1.3l Kia - ~37mpg on Motorway journeys
    2.0l MG ZT Diesel - brim to brim average of 44mpg after 6,000 miles, about 900 of which are dublin rush hour traffic.

Was asked and explained.

What is it in Europe btw?

"Km" in English... I dont know all the other languages. Its never going to be just "k" as it already mean something, "thousand".

• Registered Users Posts: 23 --paul--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKTOyiKLARk,
    Shows that your driving habits are a much bigger influence on mpg than your engine size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

test drove a 4.4V8 Volvo S80 - 5.6MPG driving the arse off it in town. Averaged 17MPG over 30kms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

2004 JDM Mazda RX-8 - 275 bhp

Average - 18 MPG (Petrol), 20 MPG (Oil) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 V8 BiTurbo approx. 15 -18l/100km urban, city - 20l/100km. Overall - 15mpg.
    As driving is only on the weekends it's not that bad :cool:

pcardin wrote: »
    Maserati Quattroporte 3.2 V8 BiTurbo approx. 15 -18l/100km urban, city - 20l/100km. Overall - 15mpg.

Can I please have a job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MASTIE

Focus ST 2.5 Turbo (mapped to 265bhp):
    16-18mpg town
    30-32mpg Motorway
    25mpg Average

Can I please have a job??

That Maserati is 1997. You don't have to be a millionaire to own it ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Johnny_Klebitz

Im getting roughly the same in a 130bhp Tdi Passat 5 speed.
    The trip computer slightly over reads though when you actually compare it to the calculated mpg figure. I do roughly 56miles round trip on good enough roads trip reports 53mpg calculated figure more like 51mpg.

In work these mornings before 7 so very little traffic in my neck of the woods and with a lead foot returning roughly 48mpg by the time I park up.

Some additional things that noticably effect the returned MPG value are the weather.
    -If its very cold ill burn more juice in the mornings as the engine takes longer to get up to optimal temperature.

-The diesel I use. I find that Tesco diesel gets less miles to the gallon than than diesel sold by branded filling stations. BTW I work a bit abroad from time to time in developing countries and I notice that they have different types of diesel similar to different RON for petrols.

-A properly serviced car. there is a noticeable difference with new engine oil, new airfilter, new fuel filter and of course properly inflated tyres!
    One of my regular trips is 148 miles round trip and do this a few times a week so that helps the economy big time, but have the usual cold start trips to the shops which drop the average, probably take the engine about 5 miles before its warmed up right in this weather.

I don’t have the instant mpg on my model, only the remaining miles per tank, so when I fill up, it will indicate anything from 700 to 840 miles remaining in the tank, and its not far off that figure. On a few occasions its returned just over 800 miles to the tank, but that was down to a series of long runs in summer temperatures.

Surprisingly it’s the Amber brand which is usually discounted and seem to return the best figures, but I always wonder about the calibration of the pumps and how much is actually delivered to the tank versus the indicated litres on the pump. I know their checked annually by the legal metrology, but things go wrong with pumps and they could be wrong for quite some time!

Servicing makes a difference alright like you say, I use the 0w-30 Castrol Edge engine oil, and the car is always more economical for two or three tanks following an oil change, but the biggest thing is by not driving aggressively and keeping the average speed down, and using engine braking where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Joe 90

As someone said in an earlier post driveing habits have a helluva lot to do with it. The other big factor is the size and weight of the car. Bigger car, more aerodynamic drag, heavier car, more enrgy needed to accelerate it. I would put engine size fairly low down in the scale of things, it's not about the size of the engine but about the pwer that you need to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

BMW E38 740i - V8 4.4l 21 mpg per tank on my normal short trips in the country. 25 mpg if I put a halo on and 17 mpg if I felt like living a little.

Now driving an Audi A4 1.9 Tdi remapped to 180 bhp. I seem to get 40+ mpg no matter how hard I drive it. I get around 50 mpg if I put the halo back on. Can get nearer 60 on motorway runs.

Love the economy and torque on the Audi tractor but still really miss the E38...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

Focus RS, 2.5L turbo petrol

average 12.4L/100km, think thats about 22mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

E46 M3 3.2 - around 25MPG mixed driving

pmq71 wrote: »
    BMW E38 740i - V8 4.4l 21 mpg per tank on my normal short trips in the country. 25 mpg if I put a halo on and 17 mpg if I felt like living a little.

Now driving an Audi A4 1.9 Tdi remapped to 180 bhp. I seem to get 40+ mpg no matter how hard I drive it. I get around 50 mpg if I put the halo back on. Can get nearer 60 on motorway runs.

Love the economy and torque on the Audi tractor but still really miss the E38...:(

What BHP did the 740i have out of interest??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I just filled up and put 70 litres in, having driven just under 450 miles since the last fill. I think that works out at 29.2, so as someone said, the OBC is over-reading by about 1mpg. Not great, considering that's all motorway/national roads with very little traffic, plus I've been taking it pretty handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

MASTIE wrote: »
    Focus ST 2.5 Turbo (mapped to 265bhp):
    16-18mpg town
    30-32mpg Motorway
    25mpg Average

which remap did u go with?

code red?
    bluefin?
    dreamscience?

did it improve your mpg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭746watts

Toyota Landcruiser 99 (1KZ-TE engine 3.0) LWB commercial = 31mpg
    With horsebox at 80kmph = 19mpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

1999 Mercury Grand Marquis (think civilian Crown Victoria), 4.6L V8 - about 18MPG :eek:
    And even with an engine that big it only makes just over 200bhp. Company car you see, I'd much rather have a Dodge Challenger :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

E39 525i, shortish rural runs, 32MPG, 39MPG long haul.
    E36 318i, ditto above, 36MPG, 40MPG
    Trooper 3.1, twenty something on long haul... ditched after three days.
    LR V6, 27MPG long haul. (also ditched)

Light Foot Fishtits.

(PS the E39 could do 25MPG and I'd suffer it. The supreme motor bar none.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Fishtits wrote: »
    E39 525i, shortish rural runs, 32MPG, 39MPG long haul.

525i or 525d? Your worst usage is still more efficient than my absolute best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

2003 Audi Allroad 2.5 TDi
    25 mpg around town
    29 mpg mixed motorway/town driving.

Not too bad looking at some of the figures here.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭pmq71

What BHP did the 740i have out of interest??

286 bhp

More stats here if you're interested. http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Detail.aspx?deriv=11627

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

08 L200 2.5 DiD chipped to 168Bhp by RalliArt

Town: 18-25 mpg
    Motorway: 35+ mpg
    With 3+ton behind it: 22mpg

All according to the OBC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭UhOh

BArra wrote: »

code red?
    bluefin?
    dreamscience?

did it improve your mpg?

I had a ST with a bluefin remap & yes it did improve my mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Hammertime wrote: »
    previous 330ci = 21mpg

current Q7 = 22.5 mpg

You've gotten old ;)
    pcardin wrote: »

So you finally got rid of them crappy Lancias then? :p;)

Pics of the Quattroporte please! Is it LHD?

unkel wrote: »
    So you finally got rid of them crappy Lancias then? :p;)

Pics of the Quattroporte please! Is it LHD?

No, I still have Kappa Coupe and Thesis. This is the Quattroporte. LHD of course :)

1494a6r.jpg
    2z7iir7.jpg
    2quj8mu.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Hifive

3.5 litre BMW 635 CSi (1989)

I mostly do very short runs around town and average 13.2 MPG
    It'll do about 22 mpg on a decent run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

1990 Mazda mx5 1.6.......30mpg
    2005 Dodge Ram 5.7.......20MPG
    1965 Ford Mustang 4.7.....18MPG

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 MASTIE

BArra wrote: »

code red?
    bluefin?
    dreamscience?

did it improve your mpg?

Dreamscience.
    Not much of a difference. Maybe 1-2 mpg better off.
    What a transformation it made to an already fantastic car though.
    Downside is there is a weak batch of clutches fitted and I got one. So I have put up with some slip. Redundancy has just put dampener on the new RS clutch I had planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Mark iv, TT Toyota Supra, 13MPG - In your face ozone layer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

98 Lexus GS300, average 23mpg, lots of short runs and a heavy foot

Hoping to turbo it next year (full kit out of a box:pac:) so it will be down to the low teens!:D Same engine as the Mk4 Supra, actually this engine was first designed for the Aristo/GS300 then used in the Supra!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

2.4 puma Defender- 27mpg average (town, motorway, back roads)
    1.8 mx5 -30ish average (it makes you press on)

This is sooo relevant to this thread :)
    http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=2&a=429078

18 miles per gallon but still cheaper to run than the hybrid Prius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Mark iv, TT Toyota Supra, 13MPG - In your face ozone layer.

What effect does burning petrol have on the ozone layer? :confused:

"Km" in English... I dont know all the other languages. Its never going to be just "k" as it already mean something, "thousand".

kilo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

BMW E30 318 Touring (with M42 engine out of a 318iS) get 26mpg consistently around town. Got her up 30ish once with some Dublin-Cavan driving. Currently 270miles on the clock with fuel left, might see 30+mpg

I know it's not a big engine but I've seen smaller on the thread.

Judging by the numbers I wouldn't be much worse of sticking an M50 engine into the car :rolleyes:

Just to show that new isn't always better either, my brother has gotten 52mpg from his '89 1L mini on several occasions, pretty decent if you ask me.

EDIT: Would be interesting to see some Prius figures (haven't seen any posted on the few pages I read) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

18 miles per gallon but still cheaper to run than the hybrid Prius

Yep, Toyota and Lexus Hybrids are in no way cheaper to run, than a normal car. Actually, they are quite poor.

I guess they were only really interesting here, because you didn't have to pay VRT on them.

/M

kilo?

Would you please stop!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo
    Kilo may refer to:

* kilo-, a prefix meaning a thousand

* Kilo, Espoo, a district of Espoo, Finland
    * KILO, a Colorado radio station
    * Kilo class submarine, the NATO reporting name for a type of Russian submarine
    * Kilo Ali or Kilo, a rapper from Atlanta, Georgia
    * Kilogram or Kilo, a unit of mass

Kilo is an abbreviation of kilogram. You said "100k" meaning distance and now you are (incorrectly) suggesting "k" is short for a unit of weight (Kg) which makes even less sense the way you use it. Just use the correct nomenclature and you avoid unnecessary confusion!

Distance - Km
    Weight - Kg
    Numerical Thousand - "K"

• Advertisement
Advertisement