Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big engines, quote your MPG here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Now that's settled, can the pedantry end now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Marlow wrote: »
    Yep, Toyota and Lexus Hybrids are in no way cheaper to run, than a normal car. Actually, they are quite poor.

I guess they were only really interesting here, because you didn't have to pay VRT on them.

/M

Thats misleading, the annual cost to RUN the Hybrids was much less than the Impala's in the article. Only when Total Cost of Ownership was factored in was the Impala cheaper, mainly due to the fact Impala's are very cheap and Prius's not so much. Change a couple of profit margins and the Hybrids walk away from the woefully inefficient Impala.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Thats misleading, the annual cost to RUN the Hybrids was much less than the Impala's in the article. Only when Total Cost of Ownership was factored in was the Impala cheaper, mainly due to the fact Impala's are very cheap and Prius's not so much. Change a couple of profit margins and the Hybrids walk away from the woefully inefficient Impala.

Yeah but begin to compare it to a petrol with half decent fuel economy or any diesel and forget it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Audi A4 Cabriolet 1.8T - 32MPG average with 15mins motorway driving, 15mins country roads. Have to say its not too bad.

This can increase up to 35MPG if you never go past 80km/h!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Seat Leon Cupra R, 1.8 turbo 225bhp - 30.7mpg average with a fair mix of around town and motorway.

Renault 5 1.4 - 60bhp :D - 45+mpg going from wicklow to UCD everyday. Not bad considering it needs full throttle all the time

Lancia Integrale - 2.0 turbo - 240bhp - 12mpg. The odd times i've taken it to college (70 miles, around 45 on the N11/M50) its hit 18mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Audi A3 2.0L TDI Quattro Sport (170 bhp)

37 mile trip this morning, mixed driving - 42.6MPG
    Most of that spent at 75-85 mph

I use imperial measurements because I live in the UK and that's how my car records it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bazzjazz

1999 Mercedes E300 TD - in traffic low 30's mpg, long runs - late 30's mpg
    1977 Daimler XJ6 (3.2 l) - 13 - 18 mpg depending on traffic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Would you please stop!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilo

Kilo is an abbreviation of kilogram. You said "100k" meaning distance and now you are (incorrectly) suggesting "k" is short for a unit of weight (Kg) which makes even less sense the way you use it. Just use the correct nomenclature and you avoid unnecessary confusion!

Distance - Km
    Weight - Kg
    Numerical Thousand - "K"

I'll stop when you're ready to stop misinterpreting me. I meant kilo as in kilometre. YOU said k is for thousand. I said, 'k' is for kilo as in kilometre.

btw, meter is an American word which is what I meant by the Europe reference. You seem to have missed that.

And, its lower case 'k' as per SI.

Now, will you stop? I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

But kilo is for mass as in weight...

• Advertisement

Moving on please...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Actually my pedantic friends, Kilo refers to thousands no matter what way you look at it:

(Kilo)meter - 1000 meters
    (Kilo)Gramme - 1000 grammes
    (Kilo)watts - 1000 watts

and so on and so forth - why are you fighting over semantics?

(p.s. a millipede does not have a million legs, a centipede does not have 100 legs);)

For the last time, can we stop the pendatry please.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 ol84

2005 M5 18mpg in 400 Bhp
    2005 M5 13.3mpg in 500 Bhp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

1999 Landcruiser 3Lturbo - 18mpg pulling weight, 23mpg road driving

ol84 wrote: »
    2005 M5 18mpg in 400 Bhp
    2005 M5 13.3mpg in 500 Bhp

Ah so there is a difference? I was led to believe you only 1-1.5mpg in 400bhp mode, which didnt sound right (as its more than BHP presumably, throttle response etc).

• Advertisement

(23) That's pretty low. You should be looking for 27 if its the 1KZ-TE engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

02 C180 - 2L petrol

Motorway best: 45Mpg (6.2l/100 Km)

City average: 27Mpg (10.2l/100 Km)

from OBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1999 Opel Astra 1.4l - 37 - 40 mpg

I know its the over 3l category but basicly I get twice as much traveling done compared to a 3L petrol car from the same about of petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

08 335D

Motorway in a hurry 35mpg
    Motorway not in a hurry 38mpg but can go up to 42mpg with some care
    City driving 25-27mpg

traffic lights must be the biggest contributor to global warming on this planet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

VW Golf R32 - Combined 29-31MPG
    Back Road with heavy foot 21-23MPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

AMG C Class 4.3 V8 - 26mpg
    E300 3L Diesel Estate - 36mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

09 BMW 330D

Computer saying 49 - 53 mpg

Most trips are cross country about 100 km,I consider myself a fairly gentle driver.

Wow thats considerably better than my 335

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

06 Merc CLS55 AMG

Size: 5.5

MPG:15:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

WHAAAAT????:eek: Thats terrible mpg!

I have a 3.0 td Toyota surf, same engine,chassis & running gear as a LWB landcruiser & i get about 32/31mpg on a longish trip & about 23/24mpg in town.

Are both your figures in relation to towing? If not you should get it looked at.

WHAAAAT????:eek: Thats terrible mpg!

I have a 3.0 td Toyota surf, same engine,chassis & running gear as a LWB landcruiser & i get about 32/31mpg on a longish trip & about 23/24mpg in town.

Are both your figures in relation to towing? If not you should get it looked at.

^ +1 re: getting it looked at. Has it been serviced recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 bmoregan

Figures just in...

14 MPG.

But hey, it only covers 2->3k (eh... thats thousand) miles a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

E39MSport wrote: »
    ^ +1 re: getting it looked at. Has it been serviced recently?

Diesel engines are bulletproof & fairly economical as long as there looked after properly as we all know.
    I change my oil/oil filter/air filter every 5/6 months. Fuel filter should be checked regularly as well.
    Last time i changed these items there was a definite reduction in engine noise & slight improvement in fuel economy.

kluivert wrote: »
    1999 Opel Astra 1.4l - 37 - 40 mpg

I know its the over 3l category but basicly I get twice as much traveling done compared to a 3L petrol car from the same about of petrol.

No you dont..? Thats the most revealing thing about the thread, 100-250% larger engines can (depending on car) only take a 25 to 40% hit in fuel economy.

Take the 530i Touring I posted, I have got 32mpg on a round trip before. It generally delivers 28/29mpg on a mix of roads (not city), thats a car with over 100% larger engine capacity, plus its heavier and with a fairly lead footed driver getting 75% of the economy, not the 50% economy you are predicting. There are probably better examples in the thread too.

Even my 5.6litre car gets just under 60% of the economy you are getting, with (exactly) 4 times larger capacity (and 6 years older).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

BMW 535d
    Motorway around 40 mpg
    City driving - high 20's
    Overall average around 34/35mpg

I must say I always thought my next motor would be an RS/M/AMG wagon but based on some of the real world consumption figures quoted here I will have to think again given I do around 40k kms per year. Maybe the technology will have improved some much by the time I change that I will get mid 30s mpg from one of these motors...................I don't fancy holding on to mine for 30yrs though:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭Seweryn

ktulu123 wrote: »
    06 Merc CLS55 AMG

Size: 5.5

MPG:15:(
    M-B S123 300TD 1985, 3.0 Diesel Estate: 39-40mpg (total average),
    M-B S124 E300 1994, 3.0 Diesel Estate Auto: 34-35mpg (total average),
    M-B W201 190D 1993, 2.0 Diesel: 49-50mpg (total average).

The most impressing is the quarter century old, 3-litre engined, 1600kg Estate with 50 year old technology and brick-like aerodynamics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

i have a 07 passat diesel and getin 5l/100km on long spins or on the motorway at 110 kph im getin 4.5l/100km. a full tank of juice normally gets round 1200 kms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

Volvo S40, 2l petrol

cold engine, traffic 11.1mpg (one km)
    Celbridge-D15 (backroads) with some traffic 27.7mpg
    Carlow-Celbridge 37.3mpg

I would say in average 29mpg, 35 in longer runs

Seweryn wrote: »
    M-B S123 300TD 1985, 3.0 Diesel Estate: 39-40mpg (total average),
    M-B S124 E300 1994, 3.0 Diesel Estate Auto: 34-35mpg (total average),
    M-B W201 190D 1993, 2.0 Diesel: 49-50mpg (total average).

The most impressing is the quarter century old, 3-litre engined, 1600kg Estate with 50 year old technology and brick-like aerodynamics.

Good going there.

That reminds me.

1994 (with 1997 plate) MB C280 W202 22mpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭TM RACING

Alfa 156 GTA 3.2 v6 24v
    anywhere between 18 and 27mpg. A price worth paying if you ask me.

Maseratti Ghibli 3.2 v6 twin turbo
    between 14 and 22mpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8 luklawecki

allroad 2001 2.5 Tdi 180KM

Winter around town : 24 mpg
    Summer around town : 27 - 29 mpg
    Motorway : 31-36 mpg (depends on speed:D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

luklawecki wrote: »
    allroad 2001 2.5 Tdi 180KM

allroad 2001 2.5 TDI what ? VW ? Audi ? What model ?

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

allroad 2001 2.5 TDI what ? VW ? Audi ? What model ?

/M

Allroad is an Audi I think.

Allroad is an Audi I think.

He didn't state that and it still could be an A4 or an A6. Big difference there in weight and size.

/M

He didn't state that and it still could be an A4 or an A6. Big difference there in weight and size.

/M

Neither an A4 or A6 as it is an Audi Allroad Quattro I would imagine. Am I right in saying Allroad is the model? And weighs roughly 1900 kg.

• Advertisement

Neither an A4 or A6 as it is an Audi Allroad Quattro I would imagine. Am I right in saying Allroad is the model? And weighs roughly 1900 kg.

Audi Allroad Quattro exists in a version of the A4 and in a version of the A6:

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/a4/a4_allroad_quattro.html

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/a6/a6_allroad_quattro.html

And there's a huge difference.

/M

Audi Allroad Quattro exists in a version of the A4 and in a version of the A6:

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/a4/a4_allroad_quattro.html

http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/models/a6/a6_allroad_quattro.html

And there's a huge difference.

/M

His is a 2001 model. And am I not right in saying the A4 allroad model has only been around since 2007. The original Allroad was based on the Avant version of the A6.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mini-E

Its very difficult to quote a mpg figure when it comes to big engined big power cars. Iv been asked many times, but its a really a question of how your driving, morotways, round town, trackdays, ect.

I drive an lightly tuned r34 gtr (2600cc/twin turbo/4wd) so it likes to drink fuel:o Normally i dont do much miles, mainly to work(locally) but due to the fact its all round town driving its not great, maybe 12-15mpg, but if i was to go on a long journey its not too bad and it'd be nearly double that, 25mpg or so. On saying that i was recently on a trackday and i was probably getting sub 8mpg:o(180euro on fuel in 1 day and car was empty when i got home:eek:,but worth every penny:D)

So to answer the question... i dont know, ...15mpg:rolleyes:

His is a 2001 model. And am I not right in saying the A4 allroad model has only been around since 2007. The original Allroad was based on the Avant version of the A6.

Dunno, but honestly, it's still quite rude to assume that everybody knows, what he's talking about. I didn't know the Allroad model, assumed VW or Audi based on 2.5 TDI and found the two models on my first Google search.

Essentially, just saying Allroad tells a lot of people nothing. I'm not trying to be trolling here, but being precise helps a lot.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭herbiemcc

i had a mark iv golf 1.8T two years ago which averaged 35mpg. 150bhp. Pretty nippy once turbo got started. i now have a jag s-type r. supercharged 4.2 v8 with 400bhp. average 25mpg. i think it's worth 10 mpg - it's a flying machine.

Mini-E wrote: »
    Its very difficult to quote a mpg figure when it comes to big engined big power cars. Iv been asked many times, but its a really a question of how your driving, morotways, round town, trackdays, ect.

That's why you can quote more than one category. 15 mpg for a Skyline sounds not way off and yes, on a trackday you're ripping the **** out of it, so you'd be down to 6-8 mpg.

Motorway driving on high powered engines will nearly always give you the best mpg. Those engines aren't happy under 120 km/h :)

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

teednab-el wrote: »
    Well you will have to believe it i guess.

I have a 1.9 TDI (115bhp) Audi that does an average 58MPG

57 MPG for me. Damn you! :P

Indeed he best believe it. I always got nearly 700 miles to a tank during the summer when I did a few road trips.

EDIT:
    Thats interesting now. I never actually knew if the PD TDI was better MPG wise then the older ones. They seem the same/similar, although mine is the lowly 90bhp but all the specs I read up and there was never more then 3 or 4 mpg between the least and most powerful.

Dunno, but honestly, it's still quite rude to assume that everybody knows, what he's talking about. I didn't know the Allroad model, assumed VW or Audi based on 2.5 TDI and found the two models on my first Google search.

Jaysus, give luklawecki a chance to respond; it was his/her first post on the site, and barely an hour ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

Essentially, just saying Allroad tells a lot of people nothing. I'm not trying to be trolling here, but being precise helps a lot.

/M

If you react like that to something so small Id hate to be in the room if your pipes burst or something :(

eoin wrote: »
    Jaysus, give luklawecki a chance to respond; it was his/her first post on the site, and barely an hour ago.
    bbk wrote: »
    If you react like that to something so small Id hate to be in the room if your pipes burst or something :(

I was only asking, what car/model it was. Nothing more, nothing less. tallaghtoutlaws was then making assumptions without knowing what it is in fact. I'll leave it at that.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭remotesensor

An allroad is an allroad. The a4 allroad was only released last year and are extremely rare to see. If you google "allroad 2.5tdi" only one car comes up.

I was only asking, what car/model it was. Nothing more, nothing less. tallaghtoutlaws was then making assumptions without knowing what it is in fact. I'll leave it at that.

/M

• Advertisement
Advertisement