Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big engines, quote your MPG here

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Marlow wrote: »
    I was only asking, what car/model it was. Nothing more, nothing less. tallaghtoutlaws was then making assumptions without knowing what it is in fact. I'll leave it at that.

/M

Wait I was making assumption? I think you find I was right in the end. I know cars but dont know Audi too well and off the top of my head was saying Allroad was a exactly that an Allroad. No assumptions there I actually thought you knew what you were talking about hence why it was put in question form. Look at my 3 posts all 3 are correct. Next time learn to use google better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Look at my 3 posts all 3 are correct. Next time learn to use google better.

Depending on what you Google for, you get different result, I didn't know, the Allroad was an Audi and a search came up with A4 and A6. Full stop. I'm sure the guy posting the values will/would have responded in time.

The discussion ends here, it has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Marlow wrote: »
    The discussion ends here, it has nothing to do with the purpose of the thread.

Yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 luklawecki

Sorry for misleadin guys.
    Audi allroad i ment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 martind81

Have a 2001 1.4Golf - Get about 32-33 mpg out of her.

Girlfriend has a 2004 2.0 D4D corolla - Gets 54 mpg.

My dad drives a 2004 1.4 corolla and gets about 39 mpg but he drives like a nun!! Good thread btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

martind81 wrote: »

That's fairly poor, do you do mostly town driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

martind81 wrote: »

Girlfriend has a 2004 2.0 D4D corolla - Gets 54 mpg.

My dad drives a 2004 1.4 corolla and gets about 39 mpg but he drives like a nun!! Good thread btw.

Whats the diesel corolla like in general? Nice performance? Servicing costs decent?

There is an 04 automatic petrol corolla in the family and its poor MPG wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 limpopo

We've a 3.0l X5, new shape but early build so no efficient dynamics like the newest models. Easy driving (mam in nun mode :D) gets 34-36mpg but goes down to about 22 pulling a box, that'd be mainly national roads, with the big tank we get about 600miles to the fill most of the time. Not bad considering the size of it :) As a comparison, our Freelander 2, 2.2dsl only manages about 400KM's to a fill, with about 12l/100 km indicated but it's mainly used for short journeys or towing farm equipment, animals etc. Just goes to show!

Myself I drive a '07 3 series 318d, getting about 45mpg, expected better to be honest but I like to stretch her legs every so often so can't complain!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Peugeot Partner van 1.8d no turbo doing mostly motorway driving does
    42mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

limpopo wrote: »
    with the big tank we get about 600miles to the fill most of the time. Not bad considering the size of it :) As a comparison, our Freelander 2, 2.2dsl only manages about 400KM's to a fill,

When quoting "to a tank" figures you need to state the tank size!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

2002 520i M-Sport Auto (2.2L)

IMG_2050.jpg

The first week I got it before xmas...... 16-18mpg ;-)
    Run to Galway with cruise control - 32-35mpg
    Spirited driving around town - 24-28mpg

S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Land Rover Series 3 V8... 8-12mpg Urban...
    20mpg+ on a run.. like when I drove from Derby to Kerry.

My other car.. Berlingo 1.6HDi Multispace.. 55-65mpg over a tank.. with AirCon too!

Best ever car I had... Fabia vRS.. Swindon to Derby, 50mph whole way on cruise control.. 75mpg!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

IS200, usually about 30mph, for fun usually about 25mpg, terrible economy.

That's fairly poor, do you do mostly town driving?

Alot of motorway driving, its not geared the best for it and i tend to have a fairly large load of tools in the boot. She has to go!

bbk wrote: »
    Whats the diesel corolla like in general? Nice performance? Servicing costs decent?

There is an 04 automatic petrol corolla in the family and its poor MPG wise.

I find the diesel corolla a pretty good alround car, its pretty good in all aspects to be honest. my only issue with them is i find the driving posistion comfy but abit cramped-but i'm 6'1. Performance is good, nice torque. I do the servicing myself so its pretty cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

1994 E36 M3. 28MPG combined. (driving legaly) It is however possible to get 6 MPG so a nice balance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

2006 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid Vector Sport Combi, 150bhp, 6-speed manual.

Currently averaging, on 25km commute: 40mpg, on run to Killarney last week, 43.5mpg.

Other commuting, maybe 39mpg.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Best I had was a BMW 320d 6 speed. 50€ = 500 miles etc. Not bad for 150Bhp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,027 ✭✭✭opus

I got ~31mpg on a return trip from Cork to Dublin in a '96 E36 328i doing ~75mph which I checked by brimming it before & after. Lot worse than that around town of course but I've never really worked it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Best I had was a BMW 320d 6 speed. 50€ = 500 miles etc. Not bad for 150Bhp.

Depends on how much diesel cost at the time though, given that there's been a 25c or more range in the last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 limpopo

Matt Simis wrote: »
    When quoting "to a tank" figures you need to state the tank size!

68 litres for the freelander,
    65 litres for the 3 series,
    85 litres for the x5

eoin wrote: »
    Depends on how much diesel cost at the time though, given that there's been a 25c or more range in the last few years.

Diesel was more expensive then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

VW Golf 3.2 V6

Motorway Cruise - 28-30MPG
    Urban - 24-27MPG
    Twisty Back-road - 16-20MPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Diesel was more expensive then

Yes but how can we work out the mpg if you won't tell me how many litres or we can do the extremely complicated maths for you if you tell how much diesel was selling for at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Jaguar XK8 4.0 V8

Motorway: 24 - 26 mpg
    Urban: 16 - 18 mpg
    Average: 22 mpg

Probably could be better but I have an induction kit on the car so tend to play the engine like a trumpet :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

galwaytt wrote: »
    2006 Saab 9-3 1.9 Tid Vector Sport Combi, 150bhp, 6-speed manual.

Currently averaging, on 25km commute: 40mpg, on run to Killarney last week, 43.5mpg.

Other commuting, maybe 39mpg.

I am surprised you don't get more.. i used to have a 150bhp Vectra.. I had it remapped to 205bhp and regularly got 52mpg as an average over a tank(on the computer). Okay then I was in UK and did a lot of motorway work.

tuxy wrote: »
    Yes but how can we work out the mpg if you won't tell me how many litres or we can do the extremely complicated maths for you if you tell how much diesel was selling for at the time.
    50MPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

si_guru wrote: »
    I am surprised you don't get more.. i used to have a 150bhp Vectra.. I had it remapped to 205bhp and regularly got 52mpg as an average over a tank(on the computer). Okay then I was in UK and did a lot of motorway work.

....me too, to an extent. But it's better than the Mazda it replaced (37mpg), and better than the other car........in my sig, so I can't complain !......I have, on a run to Dublin, got 50.2 mpg, but that's an exception - most of our driving is short spins, so that's what counts to us, really.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I gets 40 rods to the hogshead, and that's the way I likes it!!

Naah - just kidding:
    2001 BMW 320
    22/23 about town.
    35/6 on the motorway at 120 kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭crótach

08 Škoda Superb 2.0 tdi
    58mpg - mostly motorway but including some city driving and regional roads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,479 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

95 Mitsubishi Shogun 2800 LWB manual

Motorway 27
    Urban 18
    Combined 23

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

1980 Merc 200 - average 28-30
    1994 Merc 220 estate - average 28-33
    1993 Merc 300 diesel estate - average 33-35
    1999 Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 - average 23

50MPG

So that would mean you paided €1.09 per litre. What country do you live in?
    Because diesel is now about 1.18 per litre in Ireland.

What is paided?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ronnie147

my lexus is250 is a 2.5 v6 im getting around 25mpg around town 30mpg on long distance and 35mpg on motorways

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Watch Ryder

My Nissan Skyline 2.5 Turbo Straight 6 = 30mpg on highway driving mostly off-boost. Less so around town, and even less when blasting off :D
    For those that don't know what a skyline is...

http://www.squidoo.com/nissanskyline

My Landrover Defender 2.5 Straight 4 TDI = 32 mpg on highway, less around town etc.

The difference is probably from the diesel left in the system & dude you got way to much time on your hands. 50MPG average is what came up on the computer every 2 weeks when I tanked up.

What is paided?

Apologies that was a typo. Should have been paid.
    What country are from that you are now paying less than €1.09 for diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Interestingly, diesel in my part of the UK is now averaging at £1.09 per litre (edit, except on M/Way service stations where it's about £1.14 per litre...captive audience so to speak :)).

Today I got 48 MPG from my 2.0L TDI (170 bhp) A3 quattro. This was on a 25 mile stretch of dual carriageway at a steady 70-75mph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

With gentle driving enforced by the recent weather -
    comp. in my 330d is showing a steady 55.4 mpg - incredible.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭TJJP

CL600 - 8-12mpg in town, best ever close to 20mpg
    E39 525d - 36mpg in town, 38 on an economy 'drive'
    E60 520d - 5.7L/100km I'm a convert!

Based on brim-to-brim rather than in car reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

TJJP wrote: »
    E60 520d - 5.7L/100km I'm a convert!
    Based on brim-to-brim rather than in car reading.
    That is exactly the same figure as I get out of my 190D 2.0 - 5.73 l/100km - total average on 21k miles of everyday drive (1993, 325k km on the clock). But the Benz is 30 years behind with technology, aerodynamics, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

1995 bmw 316.......1.6 litre 30 mpg
    2004 bmw 320d.....2.0 litre 48 mpg
    2005 bmw 330i......3.0 litre 32 mpg
    2001 Audi A6........2.4 litre 23 mpg
    2003 bmw 325i......2.5 litre 29 mpg
    2000 bmw 523i......2.5 litre 31 mpg
    2003 bmw 330d.....3.0 litre 48 mpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

davy_b wrote: »
    2005 bmw 330i......3.0 litre 32 mpg

Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭bmw535d

had an 04 530d average 44.8mpg,42.8 town and 48.8 motorway with cruise controll..535d not to bad either 40.8mpg :)

97 shogun is a sow on diesal

bout 21 average:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Heroditas wrote: »
    Sweet!

hmmmm, he must drive like a pensioner, I got 22mpg out of my 330ci, which is pretty much the norm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

On a long motorway cruise my 3.5 v6 petrol gets up to 43mpg! And I can get over 1000kms to a tank. Most economical car I've owned since a 3 cylinder corsa!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

On a long motorway cruise my 3.5 v6 petrol gets up to 43mpg! And I can get over 1000kms to a tank. Most economical car I've owned since a 3 cylinder corsa!:eek:

On my 3.5 V6 petrol (which I suspect is possibly the same engine) I get around 19-21mpg ! :(
    Although, I'm usually doing short trips for the last while and not on motorways (and very little cruising!).

I'd imagine 6th gear @ 75mph'ish and resetting your OBC's mpg, to ensure it's wiped all other driving, will give 40'ish but it'd only be for that stretch of the motorway and pretty much any obstacle will crucify that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

What car exactly? What about around town driving?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

also now driving an 850i

'97 Starlet 1.3l 45 mpg combined
    '02 BMW 530d 45 mpg mostly long runs
    '00 Amazon 4.2td 22 - 25 mpg mostly long runs
    '91 BMW 850i auto Motorway 21 mpg, Town 12 mpg

Advertisement