Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big engines, quote your MPG here

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

On a long motorway cruise my 3.5 v6 petrol gets up to 43mpg! And I can get over 1000kms to a tank. Most economical car I've owned since a 3 cylinder corsa!:eek:
    You were either 15 minutes early with that post, or you have a 200 litre tank! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

10 year old Lexus GS300.
    Normally averages out between 30 to 32 mpg (keeping to the posted speed limits);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

On a long motorway cruise my 3.5 v6 petrol gets up to 43mpg!

my 3.5 V6 petrol Nissan is getting 18mpg around town and 26 mpg motorway :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭znv6i3h7kqf9ys

BMW M3 3.o. Average of 29mpg normal driving combined. Foot to the floor gets me 8MPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Mercedes Benz Actros 15 litre V8, nearly standard 6.5MPG but out in the hills like Norway it can drop close to 5MPG on a bad day:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I posted with the Mazda 3 MPS in this thread a while back, have since changed to a vauxhall monaro which is certainly not covering itself in glory in the MPG department!

Looking at average 15.3 (including loing motorway trips
    I can get 30 MPG on the Motorway (strange that 70 mph to 85 mph constant gets 30 mpg)
    about town, joke city 8-11 mpg!:(
    flooring it 2.1 mpg!:eek:
    Idling at taraffic lights 0.62gallons per hour!!

I have developed an antidepression tecnique, only look at the MPG display when braking or going down hills and singing happy songs to myself at the petrol station!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Granted im stateside, but anyway.....

'99 Volvo S80 T6 (2.8L Twin Turbo inline 6)
    Typical road trip, cruising at 70-80 on the freeway: 32 UK MPG
    Average work week, bit of freeway, bit of city: 25UK MPG.

Sounds optimistic, but the figures are solid for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭whippet

my two babies:

MKV GTi DSG 2.0L Turbo 25-31mpg depending on run
    E36 323ci 2.5L Straight 6 Auto 23mpg on the button urbanish commute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

bmw535d wrote: »
    had an 04 530d average 44.8mpg,42.8 town and 48.8 motorway with cruise controll..535d not to bad either 40.8mpg :)

97 shogun is a sow on diesal

bout 21 average:(

Hmm I'm getting closer to 30mpg recently on my 535d - due a service soon anyway. Also I tend to drive on a bit which doesn't really help :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Vertakill wrote: »
    On my 3.5 V6 petrol (which I suspect is possibly the same engine) I get around 19-21mpg ! :(
    Although, I'm usually doing short trips for the last while and not on motorways (and very little cruising!).

I'd imagine 6th gear @ 75mph'ish and resetting your OBC's mpg, to ensure it's wiped all other driving, will give 40'ish but it'd only be for that stretch of the motorway and pretty much any obstacle will crucify that.

The cars OBC only give the current L/km reading, which translates into UP to 43mpg. I can easily manage 25mpg in traffic.
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    What car exactly? What about around town driving?

Nissan Skyline 350gt with exhaust and breathing mods, As above I regularly see 25mpg in town.
    Tea 1000 wrote: »
    You were either 15 minutes early with that post, or you have a 200 litre tank! :D

The car has an 80L tank and other then that I'm not sure what you mean. On one fill of the tank, I did some of my regular driving and a trip from Louth to Limerick and back. Trip computer was at 1022kms when I filled up again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Granted im stateside, but anyway.....

'99 Volvo S80 T6 (2.8L Twin Turbo inline 6)
    Typical road trip, cruising at 70-80 on the freeway: 32 UK MPG
    Average work week, bit of freeway, bit of city: 25UK MPG.

Sounds optimistic, but the figures are solid for sure.

That's pretty good factoring the cost of fuel over there. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Not a big car but my audi a3 1.6 averages always around 39/40 mpg. Quite happy with that but costing me neatly 70 quid to fill up is not a happy feeling.

Seeing the high mpg on here puts me off buying a bigger car but i'd love to have the power. One day maybe when insurance doesn't cost a bomb:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

The cars OBC only give the current L/km reading, which translates into UP to 43mpg. I can easily manage 25mpg in traffic.

Nissan Skyline 350gt with exhaust and breathing mods, As above I regularly see 25mpg in town.

The car has an 80L tank and other then that I'm not sure what you mean. On one fill of the tank, I did some of my regular driving and a trip from Louth to Limerick and back. Trip computer was at 1022kms when I filled up again.

Yeah but when people here are quoting their MPG's, it's usually their average MPG rather than what their car is capable of (despite the fact I still don't believe the engine is capable of 43mpg in real world conditions).

I've the exact same engine as you and, although I'm aware I can maybe just about push 40mpg with a tail wind, driving downhill with it in 6th.. I wouldn't dare say my mpg is good.

Even if you do 90% of your driving on a motorway, you still would not average 43mpg out of the 3.5 V6.

Post what your l/km is as well so that we can convert it.
    Also, has your car come in from the UK? (Has it been converted from MPH to KPH or vice versa?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭cullen5998

Mitsubishi FTO 2.0 V6 Mivec
    Get about 29MPG most of the time i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Id love to believe you, but I still have difficulty accepting it!
    What is the l/km reading exactly (how I hate L/KM instead of L/100km)? Its actually quite awkward to work out.

Also, FYIW, 1022km on 80litre is 36mpg, given the length of that trip, that's presumably the absolute max you could realistically achieve. But even that is hard to fathom.

Your car is the same as the Inifiniti G35 coupe right?
    According to the also newly revised EPA guidelines, fuel economy is estimated at 17 mpg-US (14 L/100 km; 20 mpg-imp) in the city and 24 mpg-US (9.8 L/100 km; 29 mpg-imp) on the highway

PS:
    As a note to all the Imperial heads here, see how easily it is to work with L/100km!
    eg he travelled 1022km on 80litres = 80 divided by 10.22 (ie 1022/100, to get hundreds of km) = 7.82 L/100km. Thats it, done. For each 100 kilometres he travelled he used on average 7.82litres of his 80litre tank.

For all these conversions, use this site:
    http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

Subaru Legacy 2005 2.5 petrol estate automatic.
    Book says 34MPG
    My calculations says 28.37MPG
    Trip computer says 30.2MPG or 9.4L/100Km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

Porsche 911 (996) 3.4l
    long runs/motorway 30-31mpg 70-80mph
    around town 20-24mpg
    having fun 12-14mpg
    foot to the floor 4-5mpg tyres wont last long tho :)
    and a set of Pirelli P-Zero 265-40 18's ZR are not cheep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Thats pretty decent for a Porsche

Vertakill wrote: »
    Yeah but when people here are quoting their MPG's, it's usually their average MPG rather than what their car is capable of (despite the fact I still don't believe the engine is capable of 43mpg in real world conditions).

I've the exact same engine as you and, although I'm aware I can maybe just about push 40mpg with a tail wind, driving downhill with it in 6th.. I wouldn't dare say my mpg is good.

Even if you do 90% of your driving on a motorway, you still would not average 43mpg out of the 3.5 V6.

Post what your l/km is as well so that we can convert it.
    Also, has your car come in from the UK? (Has it been converted from MPH to KPH or vice versa?)

Again I never said it averaged 43mpg, I said that's what it gets max. That's in economical driving, No a/c, cruising at 110kmh at 2000rpm etc.
    People don't realise how much difference even an extra 500rpm or a/c on etc can make.

Also, the skyline 350gt has a different map to the 350z, hence the different power ratings, torques etc.

on the screen the kms/l read 15.2, I even have a pic on my phone if, for some reason you still don't believe it.:rolleyes:
    Matt Simis wrote: »
    Id love to believe you, but I still have difficulty accepting it!
    What is the l/km reading exactly (how I hate L/KM instead of L/100km)? Its actually quite awkward to work out.

Also, FYIW, 1022km on 80litre is 36mpg, given the length of that trip, that's presumably the absolute max you could realistically achieve. But even that is hard to fathom.

Your car is the same as the Infiniti G35 coupe right?

PS:
    As a note to all the Imperial heads here, see how easily it is to work with L/100km!
    eg he travelled 1022km on 80litres = 80 divided by 10.22 (ie 1022/100, to get hundreds of km) = 7.82 L/100km. That's it, done. For each 100 kilometres he travelled he used on average 7.82litres of his 80litre tank.

For all these conversions, use this site:
    http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

The kms/l is above, I'm not really interested in people believing me or not tbh. Maybe people just don't know how different driving styles, conditions etc effect fuel economy.

Regards, 36mpg, well there you go, there is my average fuel economy....on that particular fill of course. I have driven to limerick from Louth on a quarter tank a couple of times, I have also used a quarter tank from Louth to the M50 when I was in a hurry, I have done 200kms with my fuel light on, The better half ran out one day after only 65kms with the light on so as I said, its all about how you drive...not what you drive.

My car is the same as the infinity G35 but again has a different map/ecu and also mine in manual, where as most infinity's, and V35 skylines for that matter, are auto. Also US petrol is a lower octane rating then ours, and therefore is not as efficient.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Again I never said it averaged 43mpg, I said that's what it gets max. That's in economical driving, No a/c, cruising at 110kmh at 2000rpm etc.
    People don't realise how much difference even an extra 500rpm or a/c on etc can make.
    In my last car, a Celica, the air con on for a whole tank only took around 15 miles for the whole fill off the previous fill in similar conditions with it un-used. I say Air con doesn't make the big difference some people say it does! Being careful with the right boot makes a far bigger difference!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

haven]t got figures....on trip to Terenure ...Cortina 2.8v6 filled it up in Kanturk, again on the Naas road and again before getting home.....dont tell the Wife....

edit or the gards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

corktina wrote: »
    haven]t got figures....on trip to Terenure ...Cortina 2.8v6 filled it up in Kanturk, again on the Naas road and again before getting home.....dont tell the Wife....

edit or the gards...

You must of been able to visibly see the fuel needle dropp!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Hilden

Saab 9-5 2.0L
    35mpg out of town
    Usually 22-23 in town

My friends Jensen Intercepter 7.2 Hemi
    About 7mpg out of town

the trees just give up and die as you pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I got the best MPG out of my car ever last night. Between Drogheda and Xerox in Dundalk, with the cruise control set to 100kph I got 38.7MPG. Well chuffed! Pain in the ass driving at 100kph though, I reckon the MPG would be same even at 120kph or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

That's pretty good factoring the cost of fuel over there. :)

Yea, I'm definately not complaining. The roads are pretty undulating, if they were flat that would help (naturally). Car has nearly 180K on it. I usually get 375-400miles/tank on average. Costs around $55-$60 to fill with 91\92 octane. I remember when I lived in Ireland it used to cost around 60euro to fill the 1.6 Passat and I'd be lucky to get over 300 miles in a typical week, lot of urban driving though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

Coyote wrote: »
    a set of Pirelli P-Zero 265-40 18's ZR are not cheep

They certainly are not.
    €260 each on http://www.eiretyres.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

08 320 m-sport coupe

35.3 mpg clocked up since I bought it, thats average over about 3000km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Coyote wrote: »
    Porsche 911 (996) 3.4l
    long runs/motorway 30-31mpg 70-80mph
    around town 20-24mpg
    having fun 12-14mpg
    foot to the floor 4-5mpg tyres wont last long tho :)
    and a set of Pirelli P-Zero 265-40 18's ZR are not cheep
    They certainly are not.
    €260 each on http://www.eiretyres.com/

That's what you get for running non-std tyres, see..........;)

OE size tyres - 16" of 17" would be up to €100 less. Each !

Fwiw, did 400 miles in the 968 Tiptronic last week - averaged 26.6mpg.

And that's a 162k mile, 17 year old auto :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭dhog4n

All this is making me feel a lot better about getting 24 mpg from my 2 tonne diesel automatic jeep (1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 2.4). This seems to be around the mark for vehicles of similar weight and engine size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

galwaytt wrote: »
    That's what you get for running non-std tyres, see..........;)

OE size tyres - 16" of 17" would be up to €100 less. Each !

Fwiw, did 400 miles in the 968 Tiptronic last week - averaged 26.6mpg.

And that's a 162k mile, 17 year old auto :)

they never did 16" on my model 17" min and the type I have on it are oem
    18" split rim (not a photo of my wheels but same type. found photo online) whats the Tiptronic like on the 968?

109749.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

what is a "big" engine?

i'm seeing 1.6 & 2.0 litre engines being posted...are they really "big" engines?

well, if a 1.6 is big, then mine is too!

ive a 92 bmw e36 318is (1.8).

get between 35-40mpg most of the time.. its actually great on petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

2.5TD Kia Sorento

22-25mpg , but im a lead foot :D on a long journey with cruise control i can get 32 out of her easy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

anyone out there with a Hdi diesel engine shoud be averaging about 60mpg
    (ie Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi) used to have 1 it would do about 600miles on a full tank ... think il hav to invest in 1 again if fuel prices keep going up- or maybe 1 of those hybrid cars :rolleyes:

SIX PACK wrote: »
    anyone out there with a Hdi diesel engine shoud be averaging about 60mpg
    (ie Peugeot 307 2.0 hdi) used to have 1 it would do about 600miles on a full tank ... think il hav to invest in 1 again if fuel prices keep going up- or maybe 1 of those hybrid cars :rolleyes:

Hybrids are a markting sucsess, not a fuel efficeint one.
    A smaller tdi or hdi will give you vastly more fuel economy then any hollywood fasion car.

I got 1200kms from 1 tank in a 1.6hdi citroen c4 once!!:eek:

Advertisement