Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor - Operations

• 08-12-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is here to enable the providing of information about services on the Western Rail Corridor, that is from Ennis to Athenry, with services operating from Galway to Limerick and connections to other services.

Users are welcome to post information that will be useful to users or to ask questions about services

Matters regarding the construction and politics relating to the project can be raised here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=141318

Attached is a map with the route added to a corrected Irish Rail intercity map.
    • What is it? The Western Rail Corridor is a railway from Limerick to Sligo. However, this thread only deals with the section from Ennis to Athenry.
    • Where is it? In Clare and Galway, from Athenry to Ennis.
    • What stations will it served? The services will operate from Galway to Limerick serving Galway, Athenry, Craughwell, Ardrahan, Gort, Ennis, Sixmilebridge and Limerick. Stations at Oranmore and Crusheen may open later.
    • What are the fares - see the attached image.
    • What connections are available? Connections to other services are available at Galway, Athenry (to Athlone and Dublin) and Limerick (to Limerick Junction and the south of the country).
    • What times are the trains? Timetables are included in the next post.
    • Where are the stations?
      * Galway - Eyre Square, eastern corner. No public car park, but parking nearby.
      * Athenry - Station Road, between Church Street and Tuam Road, Athenry between railway bridges, approximately 250m from town centre. 200 parking spaces.
      * Craughwell - Possibly on laneway at railway bridge on Ardrahan Road (R347). 62 parking spaces.
      * Ardrahan - From slip road on (N18) 200-300m north of Ardrahan or from Kinvarra Road (R347) 500m west of Ardrahan. 53 parking spaces.
      * Gort - On lane way, between railway bridge and bridge over Gort River, on Georges Street (N18) - approximately 500m from centre of village. 72 parking spaces.
      * Ennis Station Road (R469 - Quin Road) - west of railway bridge approximately 1km from centre of town.
      * Sixmilebridge - Afterbury (railway) Bridge, Shannon Road (R471), approximately 600m from centre of village. 83 parking spaces.
      * Limerick - Parnell Street at Roches Street, 300m from city centre. 250+ parking spaces.
    • Where can I find out more? Below are some useful links.
      http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/western_rail_corridor.asp
      http://www.politics.ie/transport/37819-western-rail-corridor-platform-middle-nowhere.html
      http://www.transport21.ie/Projects/Heavy_Rail/Western_Rail_Corridor.html
      http://www.transport21.ie/Maps/Transport_21_Maps/Western_Rail_Corridor.html
      http://www.westontrack.com/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Railway_Corridor

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Station locations.

* Galway - Eyre Square, eastern corner. No public car park, but parking nearby.

* Athenry - Station Road, between Church Street and Tuam Road, Athenry between railway bridges, approximately 250m from town centre. 200 parking spaces.

* Craughwell - Possibly on laneway at railway bridge on Ardrahan Road (R347). 62 parking spaces.

* Ardrahan - On Kinvarra Road (R347) 500m west of Ardrahan. 53 parking spaces.

* Gort - On lane way, between railway bridge and bridge over Gort River, on Georges Street (N18) - approximately 500m from centre of village. 72 parking spaces.

* Ennis Station Road (R469 - Quin Road) - west of railway bridge approximately 1km from centre of town.

* Sixmilebridge - Afterbury (railway) Bridge, Shannon Road (R471), approximately 600m from centre of village. 83 parking spaces.

* Limerick - Parnell Street at Roches Street, 300m from city centre. 250+ parking spaces.

Timetables

Official timetable (Limerick-Galway-Limerick only) http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Limerick Galway 10.pdf

Timetables for Galway to Dublin, the South and South East and Dublin-Limerick-Galway-Dublin attached.

Opening date: 30th March 2010

Announcement http://irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=639
    General News

Limerick to Galway line: full services commence 30th March 2010 by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has announced that rail services between Limerick and Galway are set to commence next month.

The €106.5 million new route will be officially launched on 29th March 2010, following the completion of the rebuilding of the Ennis to Athenry line, and the receding of recent flooding between Limerick and Ennis, and full schedules will operate from 30th March.

Major infrastructure works were completed towards the end of last year, and driver training is well underway.

OVERVIEW OF PROJECT

After a gap of over 30 years since the last scheduled services on the line, the Ennis to Athenry renewal will:

- Deliver direct Galway to Limerick services, timed to meet commuter needs

- Serve Limerick, Ennis, Athenry and Galway; and new stations at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan, Craughwell

- Expand commuter links to Limerick and Galway

- Promote balanced regional development, in line with National Spatial Strategy objectives, by linking two Gateways – Limerick and Galway – and serving the hub of Ennis

The investment project delivered by Iarnród Éireann involves:

- renewal of 36 miles of track, including all necessary fencing and drainage and installation of points and crossings at Gort and Ennis.

- a 90m platform with furniture, signage, shelter, Automatic Ticket Vending Machine, lighting, car park, PA, Customer Information Systems, help point and CCTV provision at Sixmilebridge, Gort, Ardrahan and Craughwell. These stations will also be accessible to the mobility impaired

- At Ennis and Athenry stations, PA, Customer Information Systems, help point and CCTV has been provided

- Repair and improvement work has been undertaken on bridges on the route to allow rail services to operate

- modernised signalling systems

- improvement to level crossings, and elimination where practicable

The service will commence with five services each way daily (Monday to Saturday), and four services each way on Sundays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭FlameoftheWest

Can anyone explain to me why this has a sticky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can anyone explain to me why this has a sticky?

I'd imagine it's to keep stuff like timetables,operational updates etc. seperate from the other threads and to avoid getting bogged down in debates about its usefulness,perceived waste of money etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭construct06

any idea of ticket costs?
    eg. Sixmilebridge to Limerick or
    Ennis to Sixmilebridge

I imagine in the order of €6 adult single.

I think something like €20 has been pencilled in for Galway-Limerick single.

However, there are likely to be some sort of promotional fares, especially at the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Balagan

Somebody please tell me I'm wrong but is it possible that the last weekday train departs Galway for Limerick at 17.25 i.e., too early for most workers and for those college students who have lectures till 18.00? It couldn't be, surely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Balagan wrote: »
    Somebody please tell me I'm wrong but is it possible that the last weekday train departs Galway for Limerick at 17.25 i.e., too early for most workers and for those college students who have lectures till 18.00? It couldn't be, surely?

It is unfortunately.

As I've said before the problem here boils down to the actual infrastructure. In particular the single track sections from Galway to Athenry and Ennis to Limerick. These make it very difficult to path trains in such a way that will maximise connections and deliver a solid timetable.

The section from Galway to Athenry is blocked as follows:
    1725/1738 Galway/Limerick train
    1747/1805 Dublin/Galway train
    1805/1818 Galway/Dublin train
    1847/1905 Dublin/Galway train

While a train could operate at 1825 (crossing with the 1805 ex-Limerick at Gort), it could only operate to Ennis, as the Limerick/Ennis section is blocked by the 1930 ex-Limerick until 2010 which is followed by a 2020 service from Limerick.

It could be operated by the stock off the Dublin/Galway service which could operate a late return service to Galway from Ennis.

Personally I would agree - there has to be a later service, even just as far as Ennis to make this even remotely viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rushian

Anyone know if the train stops at all stations i.e. could I get a return train from Limerick to Craughwell?

• Advertisement

rushian wrote: »
    Anyone know if the train stops at all stations i.e. could I get a return train from Limerick to Craughwell?

Yes.

http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Limerick%20Galway%2010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭rushian

KC61 wrote: »

cheers - I had seen that timetable but someone informed me that the train wouldnt stop in Craughwell but what would be the point of having a station there then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

KC61 wrote: »
    It is unfortunately.

As I've said before the problem here boils down to the actual infrastructure. In particular the single track sections from Galway to Athenry and Ennis to Limerick. These make it very difficult to path trains in such a way that will maximise connections and deliver a solid timetable.

The section from Galway to Athenry is blocked as follows:
    1725/1738 Galway/Limerick train
    1747/1805 Dublin/Galway train
    1805/1818 Galway/Dublin train
    1847/1905 Dublin/Galway train

While a train could operate at 1825 (crossing with the 1805 ex-Limerick at Gort), it could only operate to Ennis, as the Limerick/Ennis section is blocked by the 1930 ex-Limerick until 2010 which is followed by a 2020 service from Limerick.

It could be operated by the stock off the Dublin/Galway service which could operate a late return service to Galway from Ennis.

Personally I would agree - there has to be a later service, even just as far as Ennis to make this even remotely viable.

So effectively this 19th century piece of infrastructure is not up to 21st century expectations?

I know the hotheaded debate was always about the potential passenger numbers, but am I right in saying that if demand existed for a 18.25 hrs departure from Galway that it can't be accomodated without a termination in Ennis and would be reliant on stock off the Dublin Galway service?

If all this is true, then this railway has to be even more mindboggling than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

any idea of ticket costs?
    eg. Sixmilebridge to Limerick or
    Ennis to Sixmilebridge

Lmk-Ennis is 11.60 at the moment, so should be roughly half that. Just a bit over a fiver I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

As I noted on the WRC thread, one approach would be to send a train from Limerick-Ennis-Athenry (arriving approx 1815), possibly a split of the 1710 arrival in Ennis, and then return. This would give a 40min later departure from Galway albeit with a change. The lack of a loop from Ennis-Limerick may create a difficulty on the way back though?

(Edit - this wouldn't work as the 1725 Galway-Limerick service would block it from progressing north of Gort)

DWCommuter wrote: »
    So effectively this 19th century piece of infrastructure is not up to 21st century expectations?

I know the hotheaded debate was always about the potential passenger numbers, but am I right in saying that if demand existed for a 18.25 hrs departure from Galway that it can't be accomodated without a termination in Ennis and would be reliant on stock off the Dublin Galway service?

If all this is true, then this railway has to be even more mindboggling than ever.

Apologies for not repying sooner.

The fundamental problems to operating on this line are (in my view):

1) The lack of double track from Galway-Athenry - there is now a split signal mid section allowing two trains to follow one another, but services in the opposite direction must wait either 15 and 30 minutes - this is especially relevant in the evening due to hourly Dublin/Galway trains.

2) The 40 minute section between Ennis and Limerick - the lack of a loop hampers any ability to deliver a proper service. It means that no train can leave Galway for Limerick between 1725 and 2000 as the Limerick-Ennis section is blocked by the 1930 and 2020 Limerick-Ennis trains that offer connections out of the Dublin-Limerick trains. This is also why the first train has to leave Limerick at 0600 - it splits at Ennis and one half returns at 0645 to connect into the 0735 to Dublin at Limerick.

3) Poor sectional running - already reports suggest that 10-15 minutes could be shaved off the running times in the new timetable.

4) The timings of connections at Limerick Junction. Due to temporary speed restrictions and stopping patterns, Dublin/Cork and Cork/Dublin trains call at Limerick Junction 15-25 minutes apart, meaning that while Limerick/Limerick Junction services can operate at a set time past each hour, services in the other direction cannot. Also, passengers from Galway to either Cork or Waterford have a minimum 20 minute wait at Limerick Junction due to this.

5) Trying to be all things to all men - Providing connections for direct Dublin trains at Limerick to/from Ennis, connections at Athenry to/from Dublin, connections at Limerick Junction for Cork and Waterford and also offer relevant commuter services is simply not possible for every train.

What needs to be done at a minimum:
    1) Install a loop at Sixmilebridge - dependant on Limerick resignalling
    2) Accelerate the relay of the Dublin/Cork line so that Dublin/Cork and Cork/Dublin trains call at Limerick Junction within 5 minutes of each other - this is vital so that passengers are not waiting for extended periods of time.
    3) Implement realistic sectional running times

Desireable extra - Double track Athenry/Galway. The sad part about this is that the company were offered a sizeable grant from Galway CC to do this some time back but inexplicably turned it down.

With regard to operating an 1825 ex-Galway. If the 1725 continues to operate, then yes you would have to use the set off the 1530 Dublin/Galway as there is no other stock in Galway at that time. Given that this is idle until 0605 the next morning, this is not really an issue. And yes, as I've pointed out above, it could only operate to Ennis as there is no path available south of that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

operationally speaking it is laughable that the bus is not only much faster and can travel in periods of heavy rain and flooding but it is also much cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

foggy_lad wrote: »
    operationally speaking it is laughable that the bus is not only much faster and can travel in periods of heavy rain and flooding but it is also much cheaper.
    Don't forget there's a more frequent bus service too....

Can we stick to operational information (and reasonable explanation) please? There is another thread for detailed discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

The fare of €20 return seems good value, I would have pessimisticly expected it to be more. Mind you I've mostly only bought the discounted online fares on existing routes since IÉ brought in the online booking.

Anyway, with that fare, the available travel times will be the deciding factor for me (probably fine for being in Galway during the day but a lack of an evening service may be a problem). Much as the journey time needs to be improved, I'd be happy to put up with a theoretical extra 30 mins to avoid the bus (and that time is dependant on Citylink not being held up by traffic, and includes IÉ timetable padding - i.e. actual travel time won't necessarily be as bad as timetabled).

• Advertisement

The full fares chart for the route is now available online at the bottom of the following page:

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/news.asp?action=view&news_id=686

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Full marks to IE (for once) connections to the WRC are on the Timetable at Mallow...

corktina wrote: »
    Full marks to IE (for once) connections to the WRC are on the Timetable at Mallow...
    Do you mean there is a "handmade" Mallow-WRC timetable or is it something more official?

Victor wrote: »
    Do you mean there is a "handmade" Mallow-WRC timetable or is it something more official?

In fairness how sad are things when we consider this worth talking about. Surely one would expect it.

And please spare me the "but this is Irish Rail we're talking about" mantra. As a nation WE are responsible for their malaise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Where will it end, they will come up with a printed timetable for all mainline trains next! :D

As a nation WE are responsible for their malaise.
    As a nation perhaps. As a poster on this thread, no.

Victor wrote: »
    As a nation perhaps. As a poster on this thread, no.

Part and parcel of the same thing. The internet is no more unique in expression than a chat in the pub. Try not to take it personally. It was a wide ranging point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

derek are you getting lost in the WRC threads, I think we should run a pool on how long this one will stay open, before the thought police step in again - I read the debate going on in the early hours of the morning on the headcount thread and see that one got closed down, so now we have the original and best thread closed, the headcount thread closed etc and all because we won't stay on bloody subject, and I thought Boards.ie was a forum for expressing opinion; clearly I got that wrong! now we are honoured with a sticky BTW send me a PM when you are off on your booze cruise down the WRC I am sorely tempted to join you.

I heard on the headcount thread that Nigel and TArquin have been making an appearance - do you know if they had their grey flannel shorts on a flask of tea and cheese butties with them?

Should be using the service in the next week or so (Limerick-Galway return), but I'm rather surprised to discover that not only can I not book the tickets online, but I can't use the automatic machines either! I have to buy the tickets at the desk!

Posted this in operations as it presumably is the case for any ticket on any part of the service?

• Advertisement

You should be able to buy a ticket to Galway, Athenry, Ennis and Limerick at any outlet. Is suspect you can only buy to the other stations from those within the WRC. The other WRC stations only have ticket machines, no booking office

Well, I haven't checked the machines - just saw that I couldn't book online and I asked in the station about the automatic machines. Maybe the guy at the ticket desk was mistaken and it is only online booking that isn't available.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement