Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UK Championship

• 08-12-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

Kinda quiet nowadays in this forum :)

Just watching Higgins v Robertson at the moment

I'm a big fan of Neil Robertson, hopefully he'll win it but looks like Higgins is taking a 2 frame lead at the mo

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭celticfc

Woo Hoo!!

Higgins takes it on the decider, good final frame and revenge for the Grand Prix Semi-Final decider. :)

I wonder if this means John is going to win the UK Ch'ship WC 2009 style. If so, cue another decider against Liang Wenbo in the quarters. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I was saying boo-urns...

Anyone watching the live stream of Ronnie vs Ebdon (6-2)?

Would love to see Peter take it close, I wan't too see much more snooker tonight. :)
    Dave! wrote: »
    I was saying boo-urns...

:)

Well Ronnie coasted through easily enough, well done to Peter Lines beating Mark Williams 9-8 on the final black late last night on the last match on one of the outside tables.

Quarter final line-up:

Today @ 2pm & 7pm:

Ding Junhui vs Ali Carter
    Peter Lines vs Stephen Maguire

Thursday @ 1:30pm & 7pm:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v Mark Selby
    Liang Wenbo v John Higgins

Tomorrrow looks like an amazing line-up. I think Mark can do a number on Ronnie then. Ronnie hasn't been on top form and seeing as Mark was almost out in the first round 8-4 down, he'll definitely give it a lash.

Paddy Power are giving him 6/4 odds and BoyleSports give him at 15/8.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Yeh, delighted for Peter Lines, he's been around a long time, nice guy into the bargain.

Hard to pick a winner this year, they are all playing well and with the matches being best of 17 you can always recover from a bad first session.

If i was to have a punt i would have a few bob on Liang Wenbo, Paddy Power have him at 12/1, he murdered Ryan Day 9-3 and Mark King 9-2 in previous rounds, is provisionally ranked 14 and has already reached a ranking final this season beaten in Shanghai by Ronnie.

• Advertisement

The BBC mentioned that Shaun Murphy was moaning again, anyone know what it was about? Someone going to the toilet too often was it?

yeh, just caught it on the BBC, apparently Ding went out of the arena after every frame.Ding said in his interview after that he went out to get some fresh air because the arena was very warm.Murphy has carried on like this before, just sour grapes i guess

zack01 wrote: »
    yeh, just caught it on the BBC, apparently Ding went out of the arena after every frame.Ding said in his interview after that he went out to get some fresh air because the arena was very warm.Murphy has carried on like this before, just sour grapes i guess
    He really is a miserable plonker

Ali Carter ya jammy pig ! :D Nice fluke just now

Leading 3-0 at the moment against Ding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Should be 2 quality games tomorrow, Ronnie v Selby and Liang Wenbo v John Higgins. Couch - check, tv - check, that's all I'll be needing :)

• Advertisement

Well done Ding, that was a tough match

Gingy wrote: »
    Should be 2 quality games tomorrow, Ronnie v Selby and Liang Wenbo v John Higgins. Couch - check, tv - check, that's all I'll be needing :)

Just what I was thinking. :) Only thing is, I'm stuck in work 'til 6, but at least I'll catch the 2nd sessions.

I wouldn't say no to a Higgins vs O'Sullivan Semi, they have a good little rivalry going this year. John has won twice (Grand Prix & Prem League) and Ronnie once (Shanghai Masters).

Can't wait for Ronnie/Selby :) Anyone know a good way to watch the whole match? I hate the way the BBC only show a few frames from the match (you need the 'red button' to watch the rest) :(

Well my tip Liang Wenbo is not looking too good now, he's just gone 4-0 down, played two loose shots in the last two frames and Higgins made a 110 and 129. He really should have made a max but snooked himself on the 14th black. Ronnie meanwhile 3-1 up on Selby without hitting anywhere near top form.

Selby will be killing himself by missing that blue in frame 5. After getting 2 snookers and potting a decent brown, it was a relatively easy pot. - Good snooker though!

You couldn't ask for a much better semi-final line-up tbh. You have the world no. 1, the provisional world no. 1, the world no. 2 and a back-to-form Ding Junhui.

Semi-final line-up:

Friday @ 1.30pm & 7pm:

Ding Junhui vs Stephen Maguire

Saturday @ 1pm & 7pm:

Ronnie O'Sullivan v John Higgins

Paddy Power odds:

Ding (5/6) vs Maguire (10/11)

O'Sullivan (4/7) vs Higgins (5/4)

Tournament outright: O'Sullivan (10/11), Higgins (11/4), Maguire (4/1), Ding (4/1)

I'd say the winner will come from the O'Sullivan v Higgins semi. I saw Maguire the other day and he didn't look on top form, Ding could be an outside bet, but they should be two quality matches. I love these Winter days, where snooker gets top priority on tv ;-)

Higgins outright for me

Not putting money on it though :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Looking forward to some quality snooker tonight. I can't believe Ronnie has beaten Matthew Stevens, Peter Ebdon and Mark Selby, all by a scoreline of 9-3! It's like he's playing amateurs for a charity exhibition down at his local club.

If he was a little bit more disciplined, he could easily have challenged Hendry's amazing 7 World Championships. Although maybe if he was a little bit more disciplined, he wouldn't be the great player that he is! :)

Higgins looking good to clinch it later. 6-2 up against Ronnie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

It's always fantastic to watch Ronnie fuming as Higgins relentlessly puts the big one in. There's only one player who can do it to Ronnie time and time again, and it's Higgins...

I know he's had the rub so far, but a horrendous bit of luck stopped this bein 7-1 earlier.

I would'nt go as far as to say Ronnie was fuming.Of all the players Higgins is the one player who he respects and admires the most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

I think the ref got it wrong in that frame where Higgins got 31 points in fouls.

Why was the sequence of misses discontinued ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

spongeman wrote: »
    I think the ref got it wrong in that frame where Higgins got 31 points in fouls.

Why was the sequence of misses discontinued ?

Yea it really doesnt make any sense that you could benefit from a foul...

8-7 to Higgins now... who'd have thought it a few hours ago! Absolutely gripping stuff!

These two bring out the best in each other.

Fantastic stuff.

Its gone to the decider! :eek: Woot!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Can somebody explain what happend with the ref? Heard them talkin about it during the break in play there. Only watchin this since 7-8

Ronnie managed to snooker himself. He missed 6 or 7 times and Higgins had it reset each time. As he was cueing up to try again he touched the black and fouled. Then after a bit of checking his options, Higgins asked for the white to be replaced again but the ref wouldn't let him...

It seems the ref was correct though. Very strange and it appears to be a loophole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Gutted for Ronnie. I haven't watched any snooker in years but switched over at 8-2 and since it was Ronnie I figured he had a chance. That was drama of the highest order.

Fair play to John Higgins though. Great last frame.

• Advertisement

Ronnie managed to snooker himself. He missed 6 or 7 times and Higgins had it reset each time. As he was cueing up to try again he touched the black and fouled. Then after a bit of checking his options, Higgins asked for the white to be replaced again but the ref wouldn't let him...

It seems the ref was correct though. Very strange and it appears to be a loophole.
    I wish Steve Davis didn't bring it up after every frame as the reason for Ronnie's comeback, it diminishes it.

Terrific comeback, John is gonna be wrecked for the final tomorrow !

Yea he did go on about it didn't he!

zack01 wrote: »
    I would'nt go as far as to say Ronnie was fuming.Of all the players Higgins is the one player who he respects and admires the most.

I never said he was fuming this time round. He usually does though when Higgins beats him. Does his usual petulant behaviour routine when he's losing, runs his mouth post-fight etc, as if it's his God-given right to win.

EDIT: I also wouldn't be surprised if Ronnie did it on purpose. He walked away form the table a bit nonchalantly after fouling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

Best snooker match Ive watched probably ever. What a comeback from Ronnie, hes not knowing for coming back, as most of the time he gives up when its not happening for him but tonight he was trying. Ronnie said himself that Higgins is the only fela who can match him at his best. I just knew Higgins would nick it in the last frame, he always does it playing poorly and always manages to pull it out of the bag, he has some bottle!

Dissapointed for Ronnie, lots of big tournaments slipping him by in his prime, wont be long before he packs it in I think.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭lolkelly

Can anyone figure out why Ronnie didnt play on in the last frame?? After coming back from 8-2 down, he just seemed to concede. He only need one snooker; 47 behind.....43 on the table!

lolkelly wrote: »
    Can anyone figure out why Ronnie didnt play on in the last frame?? After coming back from 8-2 down, he just seemed to concede. He only need one snooker; 47 behind.....43 on the table!
    I was also wondering that, I assumed I was missing something since the commentators didn't highlight it either :confused: Was worth playing on surely, still plenty of scope for snookers

• Advertisement

lolkelly wrote: »

'Coz he's a petulant baby.

We get it, you don't like Ronnie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 451 ✭✭thetyreman

So whos gonna win it lads ??,,mt moneys on Higgins

I think Higgins will do it. I know Ding won it in 2005, but Higgins has more experience in big finals, add that to him being the best all-round snooker player ever.

Gingy wrote: »
    I think Higgins will do it. I know Ding won it in 2005, but Higgins has more experience in big finals, add that to him being the best all-round snooker player ever.

Ding will prob start well, but fluff his lines when the heat starts increasin. 4-4 or 5-3 Ding after first session I think. Higgins dominates tonight though and closes out 10-5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

I like Ken Doherty, but does anybody think hes a brutal commentator?? Talks to much, like hes trying to prove himself as a commentator, and puts up the little computerised ball or lines way too much when its not needed?:o Higgins to win 10-8 btw.

I have to agree with you there, sadly. And at the expense of the great Clive Everton as well, which makes my blood boil.

Davis is now my favourite pundit.

I have to agree with you there, sadly. And at the expense of the great Clive Everton as well, which makes my blood boil.

Davis is now my favourite pundit.

Thorne is worse. I've never had anything but disdain for Willie Thorne. He's the most self-obsessed hack involved with the sport. He thinks he's God's gift to snooker knowledge for calling some of the most obvious and predictable positional shots imaginable. The criticism he lands on players is fightening too for someone whose claim to fame is making 147s in practice, rather than winning tournaments.

I was in the Sheffield Novotel residents bar as a 17 year old scamp during the 2001 world champs when I spotted him dropping a letter he'd just collected from reception. I went after him out the door to give it to him and he says: "I suppose you want an autograph", to which I replied "Not in the slightest Willie, you dropped this." I was chuffed for days!

Yeah Thorne is a w**ker. And whats worse he won diddly squat.

Last night was fantastic, IMO the real X-Factor was on BBC 2. :)

It's set-up for a decent show tonight aswell, John will thank his lucky stars he got out of the first session 4-4, it could have easily been 5-3 or possibly even 6-2 to Ding. I think John will be the stronger tonight, I really hope he wins.

Any predictions lads? I'm going with 10-7 to John.

Time to put the beers in the fridge!

Yeah Thorne is a w**ker. And whats worse he won diddly squat.

Now now, don't go forgetting the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic. :D

If you listen to Willie you'd swear he had never missed a ball in his life, mind you it is hard to miss balls from the commentary box. :rolleyes:

celticfc wrote: »
    Last night was fantastic, IMO the real X-Factor was on BBC 2. :)

It's set-up for a decent show tonight aswell, John will thank his lucky stars he got out of the first session 4-4, it could have easily been 5-3 or possibly even 6-2 to Ding. I think John will be the stronger tonight, I really hope he wins.

Any predictions lads? I'm going with 10-7 to John.

Time to put the beers in the fridge!

Now now, don't go forgetting the 1985 Mercantile Credit Classic. :D

If you listen to Willie you'd swear he had never missed a ball in his life, mind you it is hard to miss balls from the commentary box. :rolleyes:

lol I was actually gonna make reference to that tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭allybhoy

Yeh i agree with the consensus here, Thorne is so self righteous I often watch the snooker with the volume on mute when he's commentating, he reminds me of Shaun Murphy aswell for some reason.

My favourite line up atm is Taylor and Virgo. I used to really love Clive, you could tell he has a great love for the game, could read it really really well although he would never criticise any players the way Thorne does and often had super little anecdotes and backstories when the games got slightly boring. Im surprised europsort havent snapped him up.

allybhoy wrote: »
    I used to really love Clive, you could tell he has a great love for the game, could read it really really well although he would never criticise any players the way Thorne does and often had super little anecdotes and backstories when the games got slightly boring. Im surprised europsort havent snapped him up.

Clive still is "The Voice of Snooker" in my eyes, nobody will replace him. Who knows though, now that the World Snooker board have been ousted (of whom Clive has been a very vocal critic of for many years [especially in his book]), Barry Hearn (chairman in waiting) may well influence a re-instatement of Clive's senior commentator status. Many theories have been concocted as to why Clive was demoted and the WPBSA boards influence seems to be the overriding one.

Clive has always seemed to be a supporter of Barry's ventures and methods, so who knows..?? It's all specualtion however.

As for other commentators, I really like listening to Neal Foulds in the BBC box, he's knowledgeable and to the point.
    consultech wrote: »
    I was in the Sheffield Novotel residents bar as a 17 year old scamp during the 2001 world champs when I spotted him dropping a letter he'd just collected from reception. I went after him out the door to give it to him and he says: "I suppose you want an autograph", to which I replied "Not in the slightest Willie, you dropped this." I was chuffed for days!

Priceless. :)

... as long as I never hear that generic stock Eurosport commentator (who does every sport) on BBC, I'll be ok.

consultech wrote: »
    ... as long as I never hear that generic stock Eurosport commentator (who does every sport) on BBC, I'll be ok.

Mike Smith?

• Advertisement
Advertisement