Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock Werchter 2010

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Stretchryan

I know its a long shot but does anyone have any spare tickets for this w/end. Combi or day tickets and camping also needed.

Not for me but a friend in mainland europe... Its always a sweet w/end.

Enjoy, weather gonna be savage all w/end but expect a few thunder storms...

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Roomic Cube

cartons are ok, dunno about for booze but im sure you'd get something in still, people brought those platypus hydration packs too!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Thanks guys! So cartons are allowed? Great stuff! I had a plan that involved ziploc bags and a handbag with a hole in the lining but seems that might not be necessary!

Yeah, I'm at work today now and I can barely function with d'excitement like :p

We're going to head for A3/A4, I've a big Irish flag for the tent :) Might see some of ye there!

Will come say hey if I see ya!

and so my journey begins with a 1.30 am bus to dublin :D

my god this bus is boring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Our Journey begins tomorrow at 8am .. 1hr 30min drive from our house to Leuven :D

Going to try for A3 as apparently its closer to Shops and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

To everyone travelling over tonight or tomorrow, have a safe one! Might see some of ye in departures at 7am tomorrow!

Roll on Werchter!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

So was anybody else destroyed by that heat? It was 42 C at one point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

jpm4 wrote: »
    So was anybody else destroyed by that heat? It was 42 C at one point!

yeah on friday the heat was a killer. the temperature was 42 C at 6pm, so god only knows what it was like at lunchtime!

just back now, excellent festival. Loved Muse, Gaslight Anthem, Rammstein, Them Crooked Vultures and Pearl Jam. Was hugely impressed by Pink though, her show was amazing! Not expecting anything as good as she did

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Awesome weekend. Was destroyed by the heat thou. Brillant atmosphere - everybody was so friendly. Loved LCD soundsystem, jack Johnson, and faithless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Fox McCloud

42 C!?! Jesus no wonder it took us so long to put up the tent on fri!
    Went over for Muse and Pearl jam mainly, loved Rammstein! Greenday were good enough too.

Found the water situation a tad annoying in the heat not being able to bring in proper water bottles.. had to smuggle one in in the end as orange juice cartons kept falling apart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

The heat was an absolute bastard on Thursday and to a lesser extent on Friday I have to say. I loved that rain that visited for 20 minutes or so.

I thought all the main stage headliners were great. Green Day surprised me a lot. To get up close for Rammstein I had to stand very close for Pink and she too surprised me. I had no idea what songs were being sang but she can put on a good show. Some entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Had a very good time overall. I really enjoyed it. Got to see a lot of bands that I knew (i.e. some I was aware of but I wouldn't consider myself a fan of them). Had a great time on the Friday (even with the 42 degrees), but that was mostly due to hunting out whatever shade was going and by spending my time in the Pyramid Tent, and most importantly - making regular visits to the Coca Cola stand to be doused in cold buckets of water. What a life saver!!!

Saw loads of bands, but the best band had to be Gomez I thought. They were having a great time and it was just pleasant all round. I was quite disappointed with Arcade Fire. They sounded good, but they just really didn't get into it themselves, which doesn't surprise me because the crowd were motionless for the entire thing really.

While I had a great time this year (and the last two!) I think this may be my last year. I found myself getting extremely frustrated with the Belgian crowd. They just did NOTHING. Don't get me wrong, they enjoy a good clap here or there but what the hell, they just stand there and do nothing! There's NO energy going on in the crowd for the majority of the bands, and this is when we're up close as well! That's what really makes the festival experience as well - The crowd!!! I was just so disappointed by them, that it's seriously making me reconsider going next year. And unfortunately, that's something that the organisers can't improve on!

Hackysack wrote: »
    I found myself getting extremely frustrated with the Belgian crowd. They just did NOTHING.

This is my main gripe with Rock Werchter. The boring Belgians. The only ones that do anything are really drunk and acting the arseholes. I too find myself considering a different festival next year. Rock am Ring perhaps.

Totally agree with you on the crowd thing, its prob the reason I wont be going back either. Great bands and chill out festival but for the actual music part the crowd was a bit limp.. The crowd would either robot clap or get a 'mosh pit' going, one of those guys shouldering each other repeatedly jobbies... Kept ending up standing behind couples and guys with backpacks on who wouldnt even nod their heads to the music!

Felt bad for arcade fire, they had a bad slot right before pearl jam, the entire crowd in the pit were in there early waiting for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

42 C!?! Jesus no wonder it took us so long to put up the tent on fri!
    Went over for Muse and Pearl jam mainly, loved Rammstein! Greenday were good enough too.

Found the water situation a tad annoying in the heat not being able to bring in proper water bottles.. had to smuggle one in in the end as orange juice cartons kept falling apart!

I was able to bring in 2 litres of water in bottles as long as the cap was off(it was in our pockets)

the crowd thing pissed me off too. I've been to a few European festivals and it's all like that. I was hoping for more from Werchter because the crowd was so diverse. The setup was fantastic, the music was great and I met some cool people but it doesn't beat Nova Rock or the Leeds Festival for me.

Loved Belgium though. Stayed in Antwerp for 5 days and they were fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

I mean I was at Jack Johnson and the crowd went absolutely nuts. I'm not joking. A rock festival and the crowd goes ballistic for the mellowist man in existence! You actually couldn't make it up!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭jpm4

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    The only ones that do anything are really drunk and acting the arseholes. .

Yup which is why something like Werchter is a pleasure and Oxygen a chore, as there are far less drunken assholes at the former. There was plenty of crowd bouncing up and down etc in the tent where everyone was packed in, but at the main stage there is simply too much room for that kind of atmosphere, even in the pit. And far better to have too much room than too little.

jpm4 wrote: »
    Yup which is why something like Werchter is a pleasure and Oxygen a chore, as there are far less drunken assholes at the former.

Oxegen will always be handicapped by the knacker element. Alcohol consumption wouldn't be my biggest problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

The heat was bloody crazy, and got a bit of heat rash which was an arse :(
    But, otherwise, loved it. Was my 3rd time going and was probably the most fun I had of all 3 years going.
    Agree with the crowds though, very boring!
    The band who impressed me most was green day i'd say.

• Advertisement

jesus im alive!

it was still 40 at half 8 that fri night, so im afraid to guess the temp at 1 or 2 pm!

was in the pit for rammstein, vampire weekend and them crooked vultures, had some craic!

Out of curiosity. What time did you head up there to get into the pit?

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity. What time did you head up there to get into the pit?

for rammstein i went down on pinks third last song, and got into the second pit on the left side, didnt think i'd get in at all

for vultures I was in there at the end of alice in chains and stayed for vampire weekend and vultures but i was in the front pit for those

Grrrrrrrrr. I was up behind the tv cameras for all of Pink and thought "this is the furthest I will get"

I queued towards the end of pink too, nearly got squished when they opened the gates! Thankfully the security guard saw us n dragged us out. For pearl jam we got in before crooked vultures, then into the front pit for arcade fire. Dont think alot of people know about those gates in, it was generally really easy to get in! We werent taking any chances for the last night though.

Advertisement