Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cowen warned of Lenihan 'coup plot'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

i think that's more an indictment of his advisers in the department of finance than Lenihan, considering he had no background in finance.

You don't need a background in finance to cop-on that you don't buy a pig in a poke! You need some common-sense!!
    I doubt this was the case for the first few months he was minister for finance.

That fits better after my sentence above than after yours.

If he didn't have the cop-on to do the job, he shouldn't have been given it.

I've no "background in finance", but if someone came up to me and said "Liam, someone wants you to invest €10 billion in something", I'd bloody well read the report!

And if I didn't (and still invested) I'd be fired on the spot! And rightly so!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Dannyboy83 wrote: »
    Micheal Martin has been extremely quiet recently (read 2 years).
    Obviously he doesn't want to be associated with this government and I'd say himself and Lenihan are on the same page (famous last words:D)..

I would agree with this. There are a few FF's left who are decent Martin being one of them. Brian Lenihan being another.

I predicted a few months ago a split in the FF party, I am going to stick with that prediction.

This story on the other just smacks of Gilmore trying to throw a spanner in the works coming up to the budget. Useless pr*ck. I'd rather he kept his mouth shut and kept some dignity for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

gandalf wrote: »
    Over the last couple of weeks I have lost all respect for Gilmore as a leader and he and others in Labour will stop me voting Labour ever again, a party I have supported since my student days and one that I was a member of at one stage.

Dont believe everything you read. I would not believe this. Even if true, it would make me not vote for FF ever again. If they are so fractured, we will never have stable government with them at the helm.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I have never voted for FF and I will never vote for them. I remember that crook Haughey on TV telling people to tighten their belts when my father was at the pin of his collar trying to feed us.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Last week when it looked like Cowen would cave into the unions, Gilmore said it was a disgrace and demanded we go even further and demand €1.6bn in cuts from the public sector. Now that that's not the case, Gilmore is saying we should have heard them out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Me too, but I think I see a trend,
    Bertie, hero to zero, Cowen steps in
    Cowen, hero to zero Lenihan steps in
    Lenihan, hero to zero, Coughlan steps in

When was Cowen ever a hero?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    I've no "background in finance", but if someone came up to me and said "Liam, someone wants you to invest €10 billion in something", I'd bloody well read the report!

And if I didn't (and still invested) I'd be fired on the spot! And rightly so!

but in fairness given you don't have a background in finance, you'd hardly be expected by the finance department of your company to read a report on something like quantitative easing and comprehend the report in full and its implications. Though, this just highlights the ridiculousness of minisiterial appointments.
    As I can't think of many other jobs, where could you land a well-paid position despite having absolutely no revelant qualification for the position.
    With this in mind I still think it was up to his advisers to make him aware of the salient points of the report and what needed to be done.
    if he ignored the advice he was given by his advisers in the department of finance concerning his first budget then i fully agree with you. However I get the distinct impression, that they were, in fact, as clueless as he was about the gravity of the situation the country was facing.

By the way i'm not related to him:P

Advertisement