Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple Sclerosis & CCSVI

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,998 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One guy who had stent surgery, the first phase nearly six months ago, has been keeping a blog on his recovery: My hopeful journey into actual MS recovery

As you say: very interesting. If there's going to be any kind of trial or pilot programme here in Ireland, I'd expect it to give priority to severely-affected patients - not just because they'd need it the most, but also because they'd be most likely to demonstrate quantifiable improvements to their EDSS. I know doctors are emphasising caution and more testing, but I can see someone already in a wheelchair due to MS going "you need a test subject? Over here! Hello?" :pac:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

Any updates on this CCSVI research?
    have emailed Dr simka in poland to arange procedure in a few months,in the meantime....im hoping that we will have a lot more info.
    i only heard about this recently, absolute euphoria has dipped,,,now..after reading info from MS society , doubters, etc....trying hard to keep my chin up and dare to hope!!!!!
    anyone got any more info?
    Many Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Anyone know if you can travel there to get this treatment ?
    *edit*
    The only thing is tho if you do get this done and you have had ms for a while would the mayline (sepllcheck?) repair or stay the same hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Lone Stone wrote: »
    Anyone know if you can travel there to get this treatment ?
    *edit*
    The only thing is tho if you do get this done and you have had ms for a while would the mayline (sepllcheck?) repair or stay the same hmmm

As far as i know, i don't think damage can be repaired

As far as i know, i don't think damage can be repaired

Didnt think so,Ive been reading up on it and it sounds like they are really onto something thanks op for posting this link :D Its really picked up my mam's spirit's.

• Advertisement

Didnt think so,Ive been reading up on it and it sounds like they are really onto something thanks op for posting this link :D Its really picked up my mam's spirit's.

It's a nice little lift all right but we'll just see how it goes, with fingers crossed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 MSmum

Hi I was wondering if anyone here has MS and is around the same age as me. I'm 30 and got diagnosed with MS in Oct 08. Got replasping remitting ms and dont know anyone the same age as me with MS

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭pinkles

hi, im 31 yr old male, and have MS, woul dbe considered RR, have it for quite a few years, very stable thankfully .....
    i nkow MS is quite common but i know very few people with MS personally.
    It;s important to keep in touch with someone with MS even if it is online...

for me im keepin in touch with the exciting research into MS....they have made enormous strides in say 10-15 years..
    i do believe that in a similar timeframe, MS will be a totally different condition ....Best of luck to you.

MSmum wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone here has MS and is around the same age as me. I'm 30 and got diagnosed with MS in Oct 08. Got replasping remitting ms and dont know anyone the same age as me with MS

25, got diagnosed in Sep 08

Doing grand at the mo :cool:

I'm just looking forward to when the tablets come out and I dont have to do the injections! Totally hate needles so having to do one once a week does not help. On the plus side, since I was dignosed last year I've had twins who keep me going along with a 2 year old. Weather is playing havoc with my hands. Weather affect anyone else

• Advertisement

I'm just looking forward to when the tablets come out and I dont have to do the injections! Totally hate needles so having to do one once a week does not help. On the plus side, since I was dignosed last year I've had twins who keep me going along with a 2 year old. Weather is playing havoc with my hands. Weather affect anyone else

For me the needles are easy, it's remembering to use them that's the hard bit :D
    I'm do them every second day

The cold doesn't really affect me, well if it does i don't notice it. The heat affects me a bit i think, i get tired easier.

Some one mentioned to me that a gluten free diet can be good for ms suffers, any one heard this?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There are all kinds of diets out there, some even claim to cure us :rolleyes:
    Basically a healthy diet, get your omega oils and vit B especially.

Ah grand, on iron and b12 so fingers crossed some thing works for me. yet another mri scan next week

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

lordy how I hate MRIs, only ever manage if I squeeze my eyes shut going in and then open them when I get out.:D

Hot weather is the worst for me, I find my legs get weak when I get warm.

For those on the interferons, I found this a great help with the hot flu-ey times.
    http://www.chillow.co.uk/2008/template/

Has anyone been looking up on this , we got onto the ms society the other day to see if they had any information on it and no suprise not a clue your man i forget his name seemed to be trying to brush it aside. :rolleyes:

Who funds them anyway im starting to get paranoid that everyone is being paid off by the drug companies we even rang up orla hardamen couldnt get her so talking to someone else anyway asking them about it , no suprise there playing dumb then one of them ow yea eh well someone else rang asking about it a few days ago. No one in these place's seem to care about anything :confused:

you trying to get info on the tablets?

you trying to get info on the tablets?

:eek:
    no im talking about CCSVI which is the topic of this post.

This is being sighted as a cure in some news paper's it stops further ms attack's you should be trying to get this asap.

The results of the initial U.Buffalo study are making headlines e.g. BBC. They say that more than 55% of the 500 MS patients they checked have some form of CCSVI.

I'm definitely interested, but a bit wary of confusing cause with effect here. I suggest reading the experiences of the guy whose blog I linked to on the first page: it doesn't sound like a "simple cure" for MS.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

Has anyone been looking up on this , we got onto the ms society the other day to see if they had any information on it and no suprise not a clue your man i forget his name seemed to be trying to brush it aside. :rolleyes:

Who funds them anyway im starting to get paranoid that everyone is being paid off by the drug companies we even rang up orla hardamen couldnt get her so talking to someone else anyway asking them about it , no suprise there playing dumb then one of them ow yea eh well someone else rang asking about it a few days ago. No one in these place's seem to care about anything :confused:

http://www.youtube.com/user/irishbear76 seems to talk about it a good bit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hi all i see there is alot ppl traveling to poland for the new treament
    dnt trusth them as they are just after money they are doing the op in the uk now if u look it up
    and my own taughts on it is ever 1 here in ireland with ms should fith to get the irish hosptils to do the op if enof ppl fith for it they will have to do sum ting

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had been following this since the news first broke. I spoke to my neurologist just last week about it, and he was in touch with as he put it 'the Top MS guys in Ireland' in St Vincents and they wrote a long article on CCSVI and all three of them have no regard for it.

Looks like another money-making scheme unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 sillycow

I have MS too. I'm 33. I am very interested in CCSVI too and following it on facebook where all the latest updates are.
    Kuwait are now giving all their MS patients access to CCSVI! A pity no one in this country is willing to try and make it available to MS patients here!
    Have a look at W5(canadiam tv channel) 's latest program on it. avaialble on net. google it. They did a good program on it in november too.
    I don't think it's a cure but i have heard a few people get it done and seen their positive reports. Some patients are able to walk and move limbs they have not moved in years! I don't think that can be placebo and i think it should be given priority over other things by the ms societies as it seems to be best hope in a long time.

Are you on treatment, Silly Cow?

sillycow wrote: »
    I have MS too. I'm 33. I am very interested in CCSVI too and following it on facebook where all the latest updates are.
    Kuwait are now giving all their MS patients access to CCSVI! A pity no one in this country is willing to try and make it available to MS patients here!
    Have a look at W5(canadiam tv channel) 's latest program on it. avaialble on net. google it. They did a good program on it in november too.
    I don't think it's a cure but i have heard a few people get it done and seen their positive reports. Some patients are able to walk and move limbs they have not moved in years! I don't think that can be placebo and i think it should be given priority over other things by the ms societies as it seems to be best hope in a long time.

link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Macaonbhuit

You will find some detail on CCSVI studies being funded by the north American MS societies in Julie Stachowiac's blog here... http://ms.about.com/b/2010/06/22/research-directions-on-ccsvi.htm I think its good that they have recognised that there is a research direction here, though the funding has gone to those not currently at the forefront of testing the theory. However, if those results are positive, it will remove any doubt/accusations of bias. Seemingly there will be six monthly updates, so fingers crossed....

Haven't heard about CCSVI for a while until this popped up today, relating to a BBC program on the subject. One of their journalists went to a screening clinic and got a false positive i.e. she was told she has CCSVI though she doesn't have MS. The results of controlled studies are not looking good either. Still, people are getting angioplasty and stents done privately in other countries such as Egypt.

I'm not dismissing the possibility of a causal connection, but I'm not going to rush in to anything before the facts are in. No, I'm not a shill for Big Pharma, though I am on a long term MS therapy trial. They've spent a lot of money running tests on me, but I haven't seen a penny of it ... :o

Un-named wrote: »
    I had been following this since the news first broke. I spoke to my neurologist just last week about it, and he was in touch with as he put it 'the Top MS guys in Ireland' in St Vincents and they wrote a long article on CCSVI and all three of them have no regard for it.

Looks like another money-making scheme unfortunately.

Either way i don't think the veins bringing blood to your brain should be in anyway blocked, can't be a good thing

• Advertisement

We were discussing this at the last Tysabri infusion. One of the girls has a friend who had it done, thinks it has helped bladder function a bit, but that's it.

I'm more interested in Ampyra, the new drug for walking, didn't get European approval,though FDA in States has approved it.

Advertisement