Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden/Private forums

Options
  • 08-12-2009 9:16pm
    Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭

The hidden and private forums (like Sex and Sexuality and PaC) don't show up in their categories when I'm using the Beta skin. Would there be any way around that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Conor

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    The hidden and private forums (like Sex and Sexuality and PaC) don't show up in their categories when I'm using the Beta skin. Would there be any way around that?

Yes, but it's rather tricky to implement.

There are two main approaches to this:
    1. Generate a user-specific menu server-side. This is what we currently do, but the only user-specific portion is the subbed list. The reason we don't patch in forums into the other menus is that it would force us to re-flow the menu on each page view where currently we only have to do it once a day. This would slow the page loads down and I don't think the speed hit is worth it.
    2. Generate a generic menu server-side and then patch it using some AJAX to fetch the user-specific bits. This is a lot of hassle to implement reliably across all browsers but it would solve a lot of the page load issues. I don't know if we can make it fast enough that the vast majority of our users wouldn't have speed issues, but we'll probably get round to testing that at some stage.

Solving this problem is something we'll consider in the future, but right now it's not really feasible given time constraints.

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

That's fine Conor, was just wondering is all thanks for getting back to me :)

I've been using the beta skin for a while now. If you want to milk me for feedback, I'd be happy to oblige!

How about creating a new catagory for the beta menu, similar to the subbed catagory, and in that catagory have all of the user's private forums?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement