Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop hard drive advice

Options
  • 08-12-2009 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

hey,

my laptop hard drive is broke and im looking to get a new one.

the old hard drive was a 160gb western digital scorpio 1600BEVS

is it ok to put in any sata hard drive?

was gonna put in a western digital scorpio 320gb 3200bevt

would the laptop be compatible to run any sata drive?

thanks in advance.

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭MrFireBox

Should be fine Rob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

theyre wouldnt be power issues or anything from running the higher capacity drive would there?

cheers for reply m8

copeyhagen wrote: »
    theyre wouldnt be power issues or anything from running the higher capacity drive would there?

cheers for reply m8

No, if anything the newer drives are more power efficient. I would advise going for a 500Gb drive as you will get higher data density per platter so it will be faster. Seek times may be slightly slower but were taking 2-3ms if at all.

thats grand thanks for your help

ok, so i got the hard drive this week. installed it into the laptop case last night, powered up fine, installed xp but it was a dodgy install with a stop message halfway through, when i rebooted the install appeared to have completed. after another stop message soon after i decided to format and start again.

the laptop then wouldnt read the hard drive and it wasnt showing up in the available partitions to install windows, so i took the hard drive back out, put it into my 2.5 portable sata case and formatted it on my desktop.

when i put it back in it still wouldnt show up.

i tried taking it back out of the hard drive and putting it back in again but i keep running into problems.

the boot priority in the bios is picking the drive up, and now when the laptyop picks it up it shows up but the xp installation says it cant be used for xp.

so i flashed the bios to the most up to date version and tried again, it read the hard drive but still said it couldnt be used so i tried to format quick, when it gets to 100% it says "could not format drive"

so i am doing a regular format now, but im guessing it will hit 100% and fail :(

if that doesnt work im gonna try format on my dekstop again and then try putting it back into the laptop.

anyone any advice or idea what could be wrong?

o, the laptop was dropped by my sister, thats why i replaced the hd, on bootup it was just saying "no os found" and the place i left it into just reckoned the hd was gone bust so i replaced it.

cheers

Rob

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

The HDD seem s to be good the problem is your laptop. You said your sister dropped it? :S she might have damage somthing, anyways the problem seem to be the connection from the HDD to the Motherboard. Check the sata connection on the laptop HDD area and look for fractures or any damage.

This is silly but make sure the HDD is connected really tight to the sata cable in your laptop.

GL

Advertisement