Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food

Options
  • 08-12-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Just throwing this out there!

What brand of dog food are you feeding your dogs and why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Two female Lhasa Apsos
    3yr 2months gets fed Royal Canine ... something (can't think of the exact) because it suits her breed and suits her
    11month old was getting fed James Well Beloved because she reacted to RC, but we have changed her over to RC now that she's older and seeing how she's getting on.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

Good question, just thought I'd add another......Is anyone out there using any reasonably priced dog food?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

+1 James Well Beloved

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

My two pugs are on Royal Canin but I have to change the younger pugs diet as she is having digestion problems. (with a lot of stinky farts :o )

I was looking into the Wellbeloved Cereal free. Gonna have a look around the pet shops tomorrow and see if I can pick up a small bag and she how she reacts to this food..

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭cianer

Mine are on a raw food diet, were on Madra before that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

had a 13 year old dog who was being fed dog food from aldi when she was diagnoised with diabities 6 years ago,,concerned about her i asked the vet should i change her diet to something specific and he said no keep her on what shes on ,and she went on to live for 6 more years untill a month ago when she died from cancer:(,so to answer your question yeah i used a cheaper brand and it was grand:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I feed my dog ORJEN and she loves it she had skin problems before and they seem to be all cleared up now since she started on it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have tried a few over the years however have found Burns great, and recently I have found the pork and potatoe flavour much better than their chicken and rice flavour. Grain doesn't agree with some dogs and out little dog with a sensative tum is doing much better on the potatoe and pork.

Our border collie and smaller dog (she's around 7kg in size) cost €9.50 a week altogether to feed on Burns. It seems so expensive at first but when you break it down week by week it works out cheaper than a lot of supermarket brands.

Our pup is on Burns chicken and rice, with some of the pork and potatoe adult food being introduced.

Mind you every time I go to buy a bag of Burns the price seems to have gone up again!

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

joyce2009 wrote: »
    had a 13 year old dog who was being fed dog food from aldi when she was diagnoised with diabities 6 years ago,,concerned about her i asked the vet should i change her diet to something specific and he said no keep her on what shes on ,and she went on to live for 6 more years untill a month ago when she died from cancer:(,so to answer your question yeah i used a cheaper brand and it was grand:)
    Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear I'm not the only one using a reasonable brand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I have Max on Royal Canin. 26kG, ADULT Nuetered brand and he loves it. Always stuck with Roayal Canin and you can see it in his coat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thing is though, every dog is different so what agrees with one might not agree with the other. It's a matter of finding a food that suits your pooch.
    I personally would avoid any foods that contain sugar and artificial additives.

I remember trying Homestead cat food years ago and our cats at the time were all sick from it it stank phewy. I do find as well before I changed brands that ped chum and other tinned foods made their poop stink to high heaven.

A cheaper brand I have found that's good though is Red Mills plus I think it's an Irish product as well. It's also half the price of foods like Burns, found no problem with it only one of our pooches has a sensative tum so makes more sense for us to buy one brand rather than two.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

namurt wrote: »
    Sorry for your loss. Glad to hear I'm not the only one using a reasonable brand.
    thanks ,,she broke our hearts she was a big old dobbie x,, but we now have a border collie pup(she's nuts) who is on pedigree puppy right now but when shes old enough she'll hopefully barring any health problems be on the ordinary dry food too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I feed my dog ORJEN and she loves it she had skin problems before and they seem to be all cleared up now since she started on it :)

I've never seen that brand before, although it was recommended by another pug owner. Is it easy to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I've never seen that brand before, although it was recommended by another pug owner. Is it easy to get?
    If your in dublin it may be available in a few shops ask on forums and someone will defo know , i live in cork and i get it off an irish website called https://www.brendaspets.ie/ and they are very friendly . And are good prices.

All i can say is every dog is different if your dog is having skin problems or digestive issues a differnt food can help if you do decide to order ORJEN then get a small bag and change over to new food over space of a week or so then see if you see a difference .
    In my dog skin condition improved after a few weeks and her poops were a lot better after the change over .

This website can help make up your mind sometimes the reviews are down so check tommorow if they are http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Have my Rottie pup on James Wellbeloved at the moment and for the past 10 weeks she's been doing great on it but it has started to give her the runs recently and bad gas!!! :( So I will be doing some research myself at the weekend for a new dog food to try her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 arl

My Dalmatian was on burns for 3 years but now on royal canin digestive low fat because of pancreatitis .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Boomtastic

We started off on Royal Canin but he was never keen on dry food.

Now we have a mix of Spillers dry food/Tesco canned food in gravy mixed with either sardines or boiled chicken. He also loves any leftover porridge in the morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

We feed ours on Wainwrights. The older lad is on their adult food and the girl is on their Large Puppy food.

lrushe wrote: »
    Have my Rottie pup on James Wellbeloved at the moment and for the past 10 weeks she's been doing great on it but it has started to give her the runs recently and bad gas!!! :( So I will be doing some research myself at the weekend for a new dog food to try her on.
    If she has been ok on it for 10 weeks it might be something else thats upsetting her stomach?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭smilerf

I feed mine arden grange lamb and rice. i have tried burns and rc in the past but arden grange seems to suit him better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Our year old lab enjoys his Dingo - 10kg bag - €16.99 in Super Valu.

have tried pedigree chum and all that but he likes his dingo!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭rubyred

I use Orijen too - the fish one. Worth every penny - she's a different dog since I changed over to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

we had our pup on it for weeks and gave up because the poops never firmed up and the farts were terrible! :p He's on Royal Canin Maxi Junior now and when he's older we'll be moving him to RC golden retriever - poops are nice and firm and the gas isn't so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 sadhbhsdad

Hi, If your dog has a problem with his digestion system I would give a Raw diet a go.
    A pug or two would not be expensive to feed Raw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭YOURFACE!

Yes this was the same with Kula. We had her on the James Wellbeloved Junior up until last week. She was doing well on it, had a great coat and everything but really sloppy poo's and bad breath - it was almost a plasticy smell? I have her now on Royal Canin GSD and she is now hyper! Gone completely mad with loads of energy. I don't know if its the food or just another stage in her development?:confused:

Monty is on James Wellbeloved and is doing incredibly well, his coat is amazing and hes not too mad either. I guess it is just the dog, when I was little we had a Golden Retriever who would only eat Pedigree Chum and would turn her nose up and any other food.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Raw food mostly; we get packs of chicken wings, and the cats have these also. With a little kibble, raw pasta, and scraps.

Kibble courtesy of ASDA.

Coats are rich and shiny, eyes bright and no digestive problems. Teeth also are clean.

It works out inexpensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Mcloke

We lost our puppy to neospora at just 11 months old but we fed her on Orijen and she LOVED it and did really well on it. I totally recommend it and you can get it from zooplus.co.uk at a good price with free delivery...there is a zooplus.ie but you pay more (or used to) via the exchange rates. People talk about it being expensive, along with other pricey brands but when worked out on a daily price it is pretty cheap especially for human grade food and no grain filler.

All dogs are different but Orijen really suited our dog and she was developing really well....her death was nothing to do with either her breed, breeding or her food....she was just very unfortunate....along with us :( .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Contrary to much opinion here I have always fed Pedigree Complete. My vet, neighbours & doggy friends say that my dogs are in superb condition. They also eat seaweed every day !.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,174 ✭✭✭Top Dog

2 year old - raw diet
    9 month old - raw diet
    12 week old - Husse, to be changed to raw diet soon enough

:)

kildara wrote: »
    If she has been ok on it for 10 weeks it might be something else thats upsetting her stomach?

I would think this myself if she was out of sorts but she is in good form other than the poop situation so I'm confident it is the food, its definately not agreeing with her (or my nose) anymore! :D

• Advertisement

Mcloke wrote: »
    we fed her on Orijen and she LOVED it and did really well on it. I totally recommend it.

Yeah I've heard good things about this brand and I'm interested in having a look at this one as a possible replacement for the food Brook is currently on

Advertisement