Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Food

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

lrushe wrote: »
    I would think this myself if she was out of sorts but she is in good form other than the poop situation so I'm confident it is the food, its definately not agreeing with her (or my nose) anymore! :D

My vet said before, that sometimes pups can be fine but as they grow into adulthood things can change, they can develop an allergy to something that they didn't have before etc. (In some cases I mean, not all). So perhaps they were ok and then as they're getting older the foods not suiting their system as much - they might be getting too much of something or not enough of something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

star-pants wrote: »
    My vet said before, that sometimes pups can be fine but as they grow into adulthood things can change, they can develop an allergy to something that they didn't have before etc. (In some cases I mean, not all). So perhaps they were ok and then as they're getting older the foods not suiting their system as much - they might be getting too much of something or not enough of something else.

Yeah I would agree with this, it happens sometimes in people too. Its a pity, she was looking so well on James Wellbeloved, her coat was like glass but its definately time for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

lrushe wrote: »
    Yeah I've heard good things about this brand and I'm interested in having a look at this one as a possible replacement for the food Brook is currently on
    Yeah just try a small bag and by the time its empty you will know if it suits your dog or not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

I had bella on select gold which was going really well, but she has started to develop a skin condition (behaving like she has fleas) so i've changed her to james belloved and its going ok so far.

She has a very sensitive tummy though, and gets diarrhoea if she eats anything besides her normal food. My dads two dogs can eat anything without any adverse reactions, is there anything you can do to toughen up your dogs stomach??

I know huskies have sensitive stomachs anyway, but its pretty hard to constantly ensure she doesnt eat anything she's not meant to, so it would be great if she wasnt so sensitive. Do they grow out of it a bit (she's 5 mths).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Some dogs can just eat whatever they want and feel fine , others have to be careful , nothing you can do about it some breeds are more prone to it than others.
    My last dog used to love the carrots from stew, spagetti bol , you name it he loved it and could stomach it all no probs.
    New dog cant do that she cant take any of it really so have her on orjen and her coat is great ,skin is great and is very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

We give our westie Orijen too and like Rubyred said its worth every penny :). We tried Royal Canine and Arden Grange and he was never interested in eating although he was good size and full of energy. Since we changed him he finishes his food happily and often looks for more :pac:. It is expensive but with a small dog its not so bad.

Also he had skin allergies this summer so I was interested to hear others say it improved skin conditions and hope it will help him next summer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Boomtastic wrote: »
    We started off on Royal Canin but he was never keen on dry food.

Now we have a mix of Spillers dry food/Tesco canned food in gravy mixed with either sardines or boiled chicken. He also loves any leftover porridge in the morning!

Two of mine are happy on dry food but the middle one only eats it reluctantly so they have IAMS (the only dry food the middle one won't walk away from) with a spoonful of cod liver oil in the morning then either Butchers or Winalot mixed with rice,bread or potatoes for dinner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭ha-ya-said-what

4 dogs, all diff breeds all got as pups

When weaned onto solids they were tested with Burns .... they picked out the nuts and spit them around the kitchen, they just hated it, refused to eat it.

Next was Royal Canin, had great success with that up until about 9 months ago the quality of it dropped and I had to return several bags to try and get the older stock that didn't have as much oil in it. The new bags of RC were just causing severe stomach & bowel problems, oil content is just far to high in it what ever the hell they changed with it.

Was using Origen then, they loved that but got fed up with it before the bag was even gone !! ( a UK site or Zooplus is the cheapest for anyone looking for that).

Using Arden Grange now since I requested a samples direct from Arden grange and they absolutely love it and are sticking with it & they haven't had one issue with it in the past months and for £30 for 15kg it's great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

My 8month American Akita pup is on Bento Kronen Mega Growth:cool:

He loves it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Paul91

well - was on "select gold" back in the days i only had the boxador, then i got the German Shep went onto "Royal Canin" for her as she was so underweight when we took her out the CSPCA - then she had six pups three weeks later so she went onto puppy food to build her up, once we got towards the end of the whelping (and after some research on here and online) they both went on to "Acana" dried food with "Rinti" meat, at the moment they are on "James Wellbeloved" but i think they where better on the Acana so will go back to that, only trialled the "James Wellbeloved" as zooplus had a deal on 18kg for £55 and heard good things on here about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I also got some James wellbeloved 3 varieties on special offer, the dogs hate it, so dropping the remaining food into the local rescue. Also tried some samples of Burns, Whites(UK based looks good but trouble to order and expensive) and Husse which they ate, it was samples and I mixed it with current food so they picked out the Royal canin and ate that first, then went back later(when I refused to give more) and ate the Husse.
    I'll stick with the Royal canin, they're doing well on it.
    The dog food analysis site I see here so often isn't great, I found foods I had here had different ingredients to what was listed on the site, so don't know haw accurate it is.
    At the end of the day, buy the best quality you can afford, that the dog likes and thrives on. All dogs are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Aly52

I feed my dog ORJEN and she loves it she had skin problems before and they seem to be all cleared up now since she started on it :)

I now feed my dog Orijen since reading the websites below, scary :eek:

http://www.bornfreeusa.org/facts.php?more=1&p=359

http://dogfoodchat.com/worst-dog-food-brands/

Make up your own mind :confused: after reading it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MAB83

I'd like to know if the supposedly good brands like Orjen etc really do effect a dog's health better than say your average supermarket brand. My father has had dogs all his life and only ever fed them scraps and had the healthiest, long living dogs you could imagine. Rarely if ever having to go to the Vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

It really can depend on the dog tbh, as you say your fathers dogs lived long and healthy lives. Some dogs/breeds have or can get allergies to certain things, or may need more of one thing and less of another in their diet to be at their best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Madra dog food as it is made in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭leopardus

I'd like to know if the supposedly good brands like Orjen etc really do effect a dog's health better than say your average supermarket brand. My father has had dogs all his life and only ever fed them scraps and had the healthiest, long living dogs you could imagine. Rarely if ever having to go to the Vet.

There's scraps and scraps; if you really know what your doing, and feed appropriate scraps I have no doubt that there diet would be superior to most commercially available foods.

I feed my dog Orijen; started on large breed puppy and now alternate between the adult and fresh fish formulas.
    Why? Because I can't realistically feed a raw (B.A.R.F.) diet. The ingredients used in the food are of a high quality.Good quality meat is the main ingredient and there are no grains and no 'filler'. My dog was initially weaned onto Royal Canin and I saw an immediate improvement. His overall good health and endless energy is enough to make me stick with the brand.

I like the website 'dogfoodanalysis.com'; gives good reviews, but more importantly explains the ingredients on the packaging in a way that enables you to make a more informed decision on the quality of a food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Sativa_soul

My dog is a year and a half old. Mix breed - most likely a combo of working jack russelll terrier & border collie.

Was fed on Bakers puppy originally & then moved onto the adult food when he reached that age.

Last week was diagnosed with a meat protein allergy (constant licking & chewing himself, hot ears, impacted glands - had 5 of the 6 boxes they check for it appearly)

So is now on a meatless diet - he is allowed tuna though so that's helping - at first he loved getting people food all the time but he's getting a bit tired of the same dishes we make up for him - so also wondering if there is someone else out there who has a similar issue or feeds their dog a similar diet and would like to swap some 'recipes' with me (lol)

Main things I'm using at the moment for his dinners: Tuna, CousCous, Potatos, Pasta, Kidney Beans

Have also discovered he HATES eggs (in any form!) and mushrooms! haha guess they have preferences alot closer to ours than I realized!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Flight19

namurt wrote: »
    Good question, just thought I'd add another......Is anyone out there using any reasonably priced dog food?
    I was finding it really difficult with my dog to get something she'd actually eat. Shes healthy but looks like shes malnourished (vet says shes fine) but alas bought dog food for her in Tesco from the discount brand range after trying everything else and she adores it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭sadhbhc15

3 year old cairn x fox terrier - Royal Canin Club Performance Adult (cheapest in the RC range and he's thriving on it). Won't be changing in a hurry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 thedingo

No pimping.

• Advertisement
Advertisement