Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spay day tomorrow...last minute doubts

Options
  • 08-12-2009 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Our 7 month old pug is due to be speyed tomorrow but I'm having last-minute worries. Are we doing the right thing? What can I expect tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Male or female?

I've my two females neutered, I think it's better for them. I wasn't going to breed/have pups from them so why have the hassle of going through heat and having to keep them indoors / safe from males every so often?

They're both fine, my youngest was done at 5months (pre first heat), she's 11months now and not a bother on her. The other is just over 3 years, we got her done at 2 years when we got her. She'd already had a litter with her previous owners. Again no issues there.

They can be kinda groggy sometimes when you get them back, probably subdued for a few days, as would be normal after an operation. Try to keep them away from the stitches, it's ok to let them lick a little to keep it clean but not biting or pulling or over licking. Just becareful when they're going out to do their business, just keep an eye as they might be sore, find it difficult to go for the first few times. Make sure there's a place to go that's not too dirty/long grass that would irritate the area.

But after a few days it should be healing up grand and they'll perk up. Some people say their appetite (females) increases afterwards but I dunno how much truth is in it.

Also some info here

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭namurt

We had our guy neutered when we brought him home from the pound (he was about 10 months then). When we went to pick him up I asked the vet was there anything we should or shouldn't do, she said no, he was fine. She was right. We brought him home and that evening when we brought him out for his walk you'd think nothing had happened, he was absolutely fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

Thanks for that. I should have said my dog is female

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

There's a small risk with any operation that involves an anesthetic with animals or people but it's rare for a dog to have complications spays are so commonly done now.
    However there is a good chance of the dog contracting a reproductive cancer later on in life if she's not spayed, lots of older unspayed female dogs get mammary tumours etc. Not to mention all the heats she'd be in over the years and she could get caught out and then could end up preg. and having a c-section possibly.

It's normal to be worried though, noone likes to see their beloved pooch going off to the vets for a procedure.
    Just keep her cosy and warm when she's home and offer her water and don't feed her that evening. Offer her a small amount of food the next day and then start feeding her as normal.
    Some dogs bounce back within hours others are a bit more groggy.

Don't let her jump up on stuff and over do it for the first few days.
    Stitches normally come out in 10 days they heal amazingly well considering us humans can be 6 to 8 weeks recovering from the same op lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭northdubgal

I know how you feel, when I got my little pug spayed I felt terrible for her, she was quite dozy when I got her home but the next day she was running around with not a bother one her. I was the one in a panic in case she opened her stitches..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm getting my Chihuahua spayed in January, I am a bit apprehensive because there is a bit of a risk for smaller dogs and anesthetics but it is in her best interests in the long run. Even though I know this it won't stop me sitting by the phone for the whole day worrying! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭votejohn

Hiya, I've Bella, my husky puppy booked in to be spayed just before christmas, and i'm a little nervous too. I know that huskies can have a bad reaction to anaesthetics, and that vets have been known to give them too much anaesthetic due to their coats making them look bigger than they are.

Also, when our miniature jack russell was neutered, the internal (metal) stitches they used are still protruding a lot 6 years later, and she is sensitive to them a lot of the time.

Another dog I walk seemed to not have enough stitches in her outer tissue, leaving gaps in the wound when it was healing.

Bella's vet is a vet Ive only known since I got her, and I dont want to tell him how to do his job, but I dont want to regret not saying anything!!

Always voice your opinion if you feel something is substandard!
    When I got my older dog done, the surgeon called me (While she was being neutered) and said he noticed a dew claw that needed removing and said it was only a small cut required so I said 'well of course' because I didn't know any better. It was horrible, took way longer then her tummy to heal, dressing was stuck to the wound with blood, not enough stitches, she had to go back in twice for anti b shots and rebandaging and needed a cone. I was *not* happy and I had a word with the owner (the only vet I'll now see) and he was most displeased and apologised.

Regarding anaesthetic, it should be done based on the weight of the dog - usually they weigh them before they give them any shots or tablets, my vet always checks our dogs weights before that type of thing, and my little one is uber fluffy.

Never be afraid to tell a practise or vet if you are displeased with something

We brought Pippa (the jack russell) to another vet when we noticed that the stitches were still very obvious, and he (and another vet subsequently) told us that it would do more harm than good to open her up again to take out the stitches.

I think the original vet who operated thought she would get bigger (she's a mini jrt), and hence used very big stitches, but they are metal stitches/ staples and when she lies near the fire I always have to get her to move in case she starts cooking!!!!!

I really like Bella's vet, so I'll just tell him when I arrive that I'm apprehensive over a couple of topics and hopefully he'll put my mind at ease!!

votejohn wrote: »
    I really like Bella's vet, so I'll just tell him when I arrive that I'm apprehensive over a couple of topics and hopefully he'll put my mind at ease!!

That's probably the best idea - always good to talk to your vet/surgeon and explain to them your worries and let them answer any questions you have

• Advertisement

I know, its the whole "there's no such thing as a stupid question" issue! I don't want to tell the vet what size stitches to use, or to weigh Bella first, as he knows all these things, but sure i'll just tell him anyway ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Our guy is booked in for the first week in Jan. When the cat was done they asked did I want to wait while they sedated him. Is this the norm - the puppy will cry if I leave him there but I don't think I could stay while they sedate him after the poor cat was pts in july :(

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭wazzoraybelle

tk123 wrote: »
    Our guy is booked in for the first week in Jan. When the cat was done they asked did I want to wait while they sedated him. Is this the norm - the puppy will cry if I leave him there but I don't think I could stay while they sedate him after the poor cat was pts in july :(

How old is your puppy? Getting a male neutered too early can interefere with his growth especially with a large breed.I've been advised by our vet to wait a minimum of 9 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

How old is your puppy? Getting a male neutered too early can interefere with his growth especially with a large breed.I've been advised by our vet to wait a minimum of 9 months.

he'll be 6 months on d-day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

Mad, my vet told me 6 months. AAHHHHH so hard to get straight answers sometimes. Still safer to wait the 9. My guy is 7 mts old now.

Our guy is humping everything in sight, if he catches eye of my OH slippers he goes mad, you tell him to stop and he sits there crying and panting, hard!

I've heard they still want to hump stuff when they are neutered, is that true? Will it stop the above?

That the only reason I'm considering giving him the snip, he's never out of my sight so he won't be 'spreading his seed' on my watch!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Incheerocket

sorry, but yes boys will still hump like theres no tomorrow even when the dangly bits are gone, but at least they are not producing unwanted litters, you just can't stop boys being boys!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

funkyjebus wrote: »
    I've heard they still want to hump stuff when they are neutered, is that true? Will it stop the above?

It depends on whether it is hormone driven or has formed as a habit. I didn't get my Japanese Spitz neutered until he was 5 mainly because I got a new dog which was a bitch and he'd drive me crazy when she came into heat plus I didn't want any accidents. Now when my bitch comes into season he will still smell her and you can tell by the look on his face that he's thinking "there's something that I used to do around that smell but I just can't quite put my finger on what it was"!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

Yes go ahead and get it done, you dont want loads of puppies do you?!

We had both of our dogs done, he was 6 months when he was done and he grew up to be a big strong dog, he is a collie/ german shep cross, he is a big brute of a dog, but he is as gentle as a lamb, he is even afraid of the hens. It never stunted his growth, he is a big tall, strong chap and he loves his grub, and playing with his ball.

She (pure bred collie) was done when she was about 7 months, she was very groggy when she came home and she became cold, even though she was sleeping in the utility room. we had to bring her in to the living room for a few days and wrap her up in a old duvet, I think she might have just mlked it for a few days:D....she was caught stealing the cat food one morning....and the cat wasnt to pleased:eek:....so it was back to the utility for jess.

anyway they were both fine and no bother with either of them and that was 4.5 years ago....so go ahead its the right thing to do!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

6 months is the best time to get them done, before they start to develop bad habits, why may or may not go away after they are castrated. It also is the time before they become pubertal and hormones start to kick in, thus reducing the chances of tumours later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

My 8 month old labrador escaped from the back garden this morning! I noticed last night while walking him he seemed restless and was pulling in all directions! I drove around frantically looking for him, placed a few ads just incase and when I finally got through to the CSPCA he had been picked up, luckily a nice lady brought him into her house and called the warden!
    I think he must have picked up on a scent from a bitch in heat and went off to find her! I had been putting off getting him neutered for ages because people had been telling me all sorts of things such as it will make him fat and lazy, they loose their personality, it's cruel etc etc! But, after this morning and all the worries I had about him being hit by a car, or getting injured I called my vet straight away and made the appointment for this Thursday!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭mel123

i got my boxer bitch done at around 1 year, i wasnt breeding her and believe the stories that its better for them in the long run.
    anyway dropped her down that morning, i swear there was a lump in my throat as i was walking out, with her sad little face looking at me.
    mr mel picked her up, she got home, she was still out of it, it was quite funny, she couldnt walk straight, she was dozy. she lay in her bed and didnt move till the next day...and then u would think there wasnt a thing wrong with her, back to her old boxer self.
    im 100% glad i got it done, esp in heat, she is a house dog so it was quite...eh messy at times;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭baubl

namurt wrote: »
    We had our guy neutered when we brought him home from the pound (he was about 10 months then). When we went to pick him up I asked the vet was there anything we should or shouldn't do, she said no, he was fine. She was right. We brought him home and that evening when we brought him out for his walk you'd think nothing had happened, he was absolutely fine.

what is the earliest age to neuter a male dog, does it make them milder, as mine is a bit domineering

You can get them done as early as 8 weeks, but the norm is to wait until about 6 months.

If your pup is only young (hasnt matured sexually) his dominance has nothing to do with testosterone, so neutering will not make a difference, you will just have to do more training to show him you are boss.

My pups getting spayed in 10 days, and I just had an idea. Im gonna bring her into her vets tomorrow (she's been there twice so far, and isnt scared of it yet, so a quick visit will help her be even more at ease there for the big op!), and when I call in to the vets Im gonna ask them can I get a cone for her now, so i can introduce her to the cone and get her used to it before the op!!!

I have a major fear of dogs pulling out their stitches, and she's a skittish dog anyway, so I want her to wear the cone at all times.

Hopefully getting the cone early will help post op, and just thought it might be a good idea for others getting ready for the surgery!!!

Advertisement