Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas mummers at the door...

Options
  • 08-12-2009 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭

Right, I posted last week about dodgy charity collections, and maybe these visits are unique to my area but I think not (east side of the city FTR)

Tonight, for the second time this week we have had young people at the door, dressed as Santy. By young people I mean between the ages of 13-16, approximately. It's hard to tell sometimes, they are dressed as the man himself. They get dropped off into the estate by a car, knock on all the doors and sing some sort of Christmas tune and hold out a tin. They are, looking for money. Then they get into the car, and I assume, get driven to the next estate.

Anyone else have this experience? I find it rather odd....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Time to get my Grinch costume out............

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just had them at my door in dublin... they werent Irish, looked from Romania.. gave them a few sweets that was left over from holleween and said your sapost to be out on st stephens day.. but by the sound of them they had no idea what I was on about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Anyone else have this experience? I find it rather odd....

Tis a fairly ancient tradition in Ireland (like many other places). And like anything in Ireland you always find it will be abused a lot (a particular ethnic minority comes to mind for things like these)...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Tis a fairly ancient tradition in Ireland (like many other places). And like anything in Ireland you always find it will be abused a lot (a particular ethnic minority comes to mind for things like these)...

But for Stephen's day right, not before? Make 'em work for it, get at least 3 songs (pop, sean nós, or an ethnic variety, and that's worth a quid in gold coins imo!) Although I tend to keep late hours so morning singers might get the withering frown!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

I do believe they're called carolers? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yeah, probably carolers - mummers are usually drunker and more yee-haw!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

They were of a particular ethnic minority (being extra careful here!).
    Bit like Halloween when they turn with with pound shop mask and a killeen black bag over their torsos...I was less than impressed. Maybe I am a bit grinch like :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

inisboffin wrote: »
    But for Stephen's day right, not before?

Hence the bit about it being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭fend

Carolers come before Christmas, Stephen's Day is more 'The Ren'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

the wrenboys are on stephans day
    there is no real tradition of carolers in ireland and they would be collecting for charity anyway. This is just a scam.

• Advertisement

Chancing their arm is what they are. As I said before, I have no problem giving to charity but it's the craic of shoving kids/teens out to collect money dressed in silly costumes and who haven't a tune in their head. For all I know another of of them was checking my back garden for bikes while I was distracted......it has happened....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

Slightly off topic but I had people call to my door the weekend before halloween dressed in black bags, jumped up and down singing for 10 seconds and then out came the hand. They were Irish but of a certain minority! I was slightly confused for the first half of it since they were 7 days early.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

inisboffin wrote: »
    But for Stephen's day right, not before? Make 'em work for it, get at least 3 songs (pop, sean nós, or an ethnic variety, and that's worth a quid in gold coins imo!) Although I tend to keep late hours so morning singers might get the withering frown!

I think you're referring to Wrenboys, who are mummers who perform on St Stephen's day. Mummers can perform at various times.

Wassallers (spelling!), who sing carols, are a different thing again, without the date restriction. 'Tis another ancient tradition, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassailing and TBH, not that different from choir members singing carols in a shopping centre to raise money for whatever good cause (which wouldn't surprise anyone). In fact, reading the description above, "collecting" for yourself sound like it is more traditional than collecting for others!

cooperguy wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but I had people call to my door the weekend before halloween dressed in black bags, jumped up and down singing for 10 seconds and then out came the hand. They were Irish but of a certain minority! I was slightly confused for the first half of it since they were 7 days early.

Off topic too, but it reminds me of a funny story up our way this year..young lad calls to the door in a black bag and mask and a bucket for sweets on November 1st...we told him Hallowe'en was the day before and the poor divil said "yeah i know but I was grounded!'

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

Ná déan nós is ná bris nós.

JustMary wrote: »
    I think you're referring to Wrenboys, who are mummers who perform on St Stephen's day. Mummers can perform at various times.

Wassallers (spelling!), who sing carols, are a different thing again, without the date restriction. 'Tis another ancient tradition, see
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wassailing and TBH, not that different from choir members singing carols in a shopping centre to raise money for whatever good cause (which wouldn't surprise anyone). In fact, reading the description above, "collecting" for yourself sound like it is more traditional than collecting for others!

Yeah, Wrenboys, and they are essentially Mummers too. It Hunting The Wren is a Stephen's Day thing. It's unusual to get mummers here on other days, maybe the odd time at Beáltaine or Lúnasagh. Strawboys are for weddings. Here's a Sligo linky

Advertisement