Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wedding Menu- specially need help with Chicken dish!

Options
  • 08-12-2009 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Im currently trying to put together a wedding menu to get a price from the venue we are thinking of having the reception in.

They generally have 2 starters, one soup, 2 mains (plus a veggie option) and 2 desserts.

So far I have this

Starters:

Tomato and Mozzarella Salad, with mixed seasonal leaves, Rocket and Basil pesto, and Garlic Bread croutons

Irish Smoked Salmon with Capers and a lemon and dill dressing, served with seasonal leaves

Mains

Roast leg of Garlic and Rosemary scented lamb

Some sort of roasty chicken thing, that isnt too scary for safe eaters, but isnt too turkey and ham-esque!

Veggie:
    Vegetarian Potato Gnocchi Tossed in a basil and Parmesan Cream with Sun Dried Tomatoes and Toasted Pine Kernels
    (Main courses served with Creamy Champ Potato, Roast Potatoes and Roasted root vegetables)

Dessert:
    Crispy Meringue Roulade filled with Fresh Cream and served with a mixed Berry Compote
    Chocolate Truffle Torte

It's far from perfect I'm sure. I'd have chilli and coriander in every course if I could but I suppose you have to play it safe-ish. I also dont want to have anything too mad in case the chef makes it manky- any ideas/ comments welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd be delighted to be a guest at your wedding. That menu sounds very nice indeed. It's contemporary but also has enough "safeness" in it for the more conservative diners.

As for the chicken - maybe some form of parma wrapped chicken breast, or a cream cheese/spinach stuffed breast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Do you realise that your vegetarian option isn't suitable for vegetarians.

Thought it was worth pointing out

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Birdsong

It will probably cost you a good bit more for the hotel to stray from their set wedding menus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mellor wrote: »
    Do you realise that your vegetarian option isn't suitable for vegetarians.

Thought it was worth pointing out

Why not? I can only see it not being suitable for vegans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Beetlebum

Faith wrote: »

Yeah...I was thinking that too. I'm not vegetarian but am a sucker for gnocchi, that dish sounds great and so does the rest of your menu.

For the chicken maybe pan fired chicken in a creamy garlic, leek and mushroom sauce or chicken stuffed with cream cheese and bacon.

Or chicken with a sundried tomatoe and herb crust, or a lemon chicken dish. You could also have roast chicken but serve it with stuffed peppers so it's not too chicken-n-ham sunday dinnerish! The peppers could be stuffed with many things...rice, risotto, cream cheese, cous cous, vegetables..and topped with cheese..mmmm

Your dessert sounds like heaven

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"real" parmesan has rennet(cow stomach I think) in it. Shocking how ignorant some chefs are about food.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

rubadub wrote: »
    "real" parmesan has rennet(cow stomach I think) in it. Shocking how ignorant some chefs are about food.

Huh, I never knew that. Wikipedia says there's "vegetarian" rennet available, so vegetarian parmesan must exist too.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Huh, I never knew that. Wikipedia says there's "vegetarian" rennet available, so vegetarian parmesan must exist too.

its not too easy to get and is expensive, most chefs wouldnt even think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A lot of people and restaurants are ignorant of it, so don't feel bad. :D

Vegetarian Rennet does exist.
    However, parmesan is one of the strictest produced cheeses and can only come from a paticular region of italy. So it wouldn't really be parmesan is vegetarian rennet was used. This, more so than the cost, would rule it out for any sophisticated chef.

You could probably insist on using vegetarian parmesan style cheese for a wedding though. (as opposed to an a la carte dish)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dublingal80

My friend got married recently and my OH is the fussiest eater EVER!!!
    Her main was beef or chicken. The chicken was a chicken breast on the bone, roated, with a stuffing of salmon. My OH cleared it!!! it was amazing!!!

The rest of the menu was a warm chicken and bacon salad - had peppers, onion and lettuce leaves. gorgeous. Brocoli and stilton soup. i HATE melted cheese, dont like most cheese, same with my OH and we were short of licking the bowls!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement