Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scramble intersections in Ireland?

• 08-12-2009 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭

Are there any?

A scramble intersection is where, in addition to being allowed cross the road, you can walk diagonally across the junction to avoid having to make two separate crossings.

We just got two here in Toronto but the Irish set up (where pedestrians crossings usually mean all-way stop) would seem ideal for them compared to the standard north american one where pedestrians can cross in the direction of the flow of traffic, which has to yield to the crossing pedestrians when intending to make a turn.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I don't believe there are any. London just got the UK's first at Oxford Circus and they made a fairly big deal about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Aren't they all
    You must always yield to:

pedestrians already crossing at a junction,
    pedestrians on a zebra crossing,
    pedestrians on a pelican crossing when the amber light is flashing, and
    pedestrians and traffic when you are moving off from a stationary position (for example from your position at a stop sign or a parking space).

To avoid doubt and in the interest of road safety a vehicle should always yield to pedestrians. You must also yield to:

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-driving/junctions-roundabouts/junctions.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

they may not be official scramble junctions, but we have loads in cork. the main one would be the intersection of grand parade and washington st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

The Dame St / George's St intersection has the 3 directions of car traffic stopped simultaneously, but the markings for pedestrians don't support diagonal crossing.
    I do cross that one diagonally though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

I think in Limerick the crossroads for O'Connell St. and Sarsfield/William St. used to have diagonal markings for pedestrians. In any case, the lights still have an all-green pedestrian phase and people do cross diagonally (there is sufficient time). They really need to adjust those lights though as most traffic goes from Sarsfield-William St. and across O'Connell St. - if they limited the left-turn to be half the length of the straight-through green phase (currently both are green together) they could add extra pedestrian time (due to the one-way system this would mean that you could have pedestrians cross parallel to the traffic flow on both sides, rather than just one at present, when left-turn phase is finished). At present it is a free for all as there is insufficient green time for pedestrians, so people just jaywalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,948 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If I remember right the O'Connell Bridge/South Quays junction is like this. All traffic stops and people just run out any which way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,090 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm pretty sure Dyke Rd / Headford Rd in Galway (ie here) is.

And some others too, but I can't think of any specifically at the moment. (Maybe Newcastle Rd at the entrance to UCHG, maybe ... umm ...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Pretty much every ped crossing in a built up area is like that now is it not? I mean there are no road markings but the traffic is stopped at every light and all the ped lights are green. I am struggling to think of an intersection in Dublin that is not like that.

Advertisement