Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banjo---Beginner

• 08-12-2009 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi Folks.

Just of thinking of buying a Banjo for my son (24) for Xmas. He is very musical, especially trad music and he sings some old Irish Songs. Any advice on what type etc etc to buy. I have no idea. I play the box myself.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

Its best to have someone with you that knows what a good banjo feels and plays like. There are lots of banjo shaped instruments you can throw your money away on and he could never play.
    If you really want a banjo go for a 17 fret tenor banjo, thats the best for trad. I would ask you to consider a mandoline. They are easier to play, cheaper and if he can play a mandoline he can play a banjo.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 etn

Thanks for your advice Tom, will take it on board. Is there a particular mandoline for Trad Music.
    Cheers,
    Eileen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

A flatback mandoline is best, avoid the one that is shaped like half an egg. Mandolines are tuned like a fiddle which is the same as the trad banjo and you can get a great sound out of them. All musical instrument shops have them but, again, bring someone with you that can play so they can check it out. A musical instrument is a precision instrument. If any of the components that go to make the instrument are wrong, it will look like a mandoiline but impossible to play.
    Secondhand in the paper you can get a fairly decent one for about 100 and a new one from 200+. Dont forget to get him a few dunlop plectrums as well. A good banjo would cost you a lot more than that....and then he might not bother with it after a while.This way you cut your losses.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

A mandolin might have the same tuning as an Irish tenor banjo but they're completely different instruments to play. I took up the mandolin first as I thought it would be easier to play the banjo, but the picking patterns are completely different, and I more or less had to start from scratch learning banjo. If you want to get him a banjo, then get him a banjo (an Irish tenor for trad) and don't worry about having to learn the mandolin first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 beardybob

Any idea where i get the scales for my 4 string tuned GDAE.Cant find a website for love nor money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

• Registered Users Posts: 36 beardybob

Thanks TheBandit. For some reason it keeps coming up as error when i try open a link on the web page you gave me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

try the main forum http://www.banjohangout.org and search for scales maybe

Advertisement