Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should the Elite have an optical connection on the Composite AV cable

• 08-12-2009 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭

Just bought a 120GB Elite, wondering if it should have an optical slot on the AV Cable?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I got the new elite and I had to purchase a component cable ,with optical on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

xabi wrote: »
    Just bought a 120GB Elite, wondering if it should have an optical slot on the AV Cable?

Thanks.

New Elites come with a slimmer connection on the xbox end of the AV cable to allow use of the HDMI port beside it. As a result they have removed the optical port.

I just used my old cable from my arcade model until I was able to "borrow" my brothers audio convertor and HDMI cable that were shipped with his elite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

yoshytoshy wrote: »
    I got the new elite and I had to purchase a component cable ,with optical on it.

The Elite doesn't come with component anymore:eek: I thought it was bad when they discontinued the inclusion of an HDMI cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Vyse wrote: »
    The Elite doesn't come with component anymore:eek: I thought it was bad when they discontinued the inclusion of an HDMI cable.

It has component, just without the oprical connection it seems.

X.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭danois

i know nothing about the xbox is this optical thingy you are talking about needed to play it cause have got the elite for my son he would be gutted if it didnt come with all the wires he needs to play on xmas morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

You don't need the optical connection to play - you can still get audio through HDMI to the TV or even from the co-axial connectors on the bog-standard composite cable (red and white).

You only need optical if you are trying to connect to a 5.1 receiver that uses an optical input and since Microsoft no longer supplies it, you'd need to get one if that was the case.

If you are not using a receiver that requires optical, there's nothing to worry about.

Might be a good idea to pick up an HDMI cable though if applicable - as that is not included either. Can you tell us what TV he'll be hooking the Xbox up to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

danois wrote: »
    i know nothing about the xbox is this optical thingy you are talking about needed to play it cause have got the elite for my son he would be gutted if it didnt come with all the wires he needs to play on xmas morning.

No, it's just a cable needed to hook upto some surround sound systems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 122 ✭✭The Aviator

xabi wrote: »
    It has component, just without the oprical connection it seems.

X.

Yeah its just a standard Red White and Yellow cable without any optical slot, Microsoft got rid of the HDMI Kit with the optical audio adapter because they are selling it seperatly now in oder to make more money... Not unusual of them!! I got a new Elite recently only came with the av cable, i have it connected via HDMI but just have to get one of these for 5.1 surround sound. which i would get cheap online http://www.xbox.com/en-IE/hardware/x/xbox360hdmiavcable/

will be hooking it up to his new TV its a hd ready tv i think so maybe i should buy the hdmi cable is that the right one for the hd tv sorry again for silly questions i really have no idea about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

danois wrote: »
    will be hooking it up to his new TV its a hd ready tv i think so maybe i should buy the hdmi cable is that the right one for the hd tv sorry again for silly questions i really have no idea about it.

Without knowing the tv, it's impossible to know, but you can always get a HDMI cable for €6 in Tesco's and try it out, HDMI will probably be the best picture on any recent TV.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

It has 2 HDMI inputs so yes, connecting the Xbox via HDMI is your best bet - that's the only cable you'll need to buy. As suggested, get one in Tesco or wherever you can find the absolute cheapest one - expensive HDMI cables are a complete rip-off.

Thanks for the help guys

Advertisement