Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

16 month baby wont eat solids

Options
  • 08-12-2009 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

hi apologies if this has been asked before, i did search.....

my son is 16 months old and does eat toast, crackers, liga, etc also takes cereal and supper/tea (but only the powdered versions that you mix with water). But he will not under any circumstances eat any proper food such as spuds or stew or any veg or any food from jars either.

im assuming that this isnt right and am worried he is not getting all the nutrients etc he needs. oh by the way he is a huge baby and looks and acts perfectly healthily. maybe im just a worried father

any thoughts?

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So he likes crunchy things and realy smooth pastes, have you tired him wiht a bit of raw carrot?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mono25

yeah did try that before and he only really tried it when he was teething really badly.

i have tried to get him to eat cooked carrots but havent tried raw carrots in a long time will try it over the next few days.

my mam reckons its normal enough for him not to be eating solids and she says its just him teething but i get the impression if he broke his leg (touch wood) she would still stay " ah its his teeth". I know she is only trying to stop me worrying but i cant help it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,426 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Is he teething at the moment? He might very well be!

The raw carrots is a good suggestion so and some of my ones liked cucumber too (both straight from the fridge nice and cold)

And the best rule of parenting is: don't worry too much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

My son was grazer, maybe try leaving little bowls of foods around & see if he'll take a nibble here & there. I found my wee man preferred sweet foods; fruits, sweet potato, etc over the savories & my daughter was exactly the opposite...babies are all different and do everything at their own speed, just take the recommendations as just that.

If you are very worried, run it past your GP or PHN. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Hey,

Thats not surprising at his age, have you tried pureeing the dinners, my son hated chewing if i remember back, and we pureed all his dinners (he was eating the same stuff as us) and he ate them no probs. He didnt eat them when they were normal, dont know why.

Thing is not to get too worried about it as if you pay to much attention to him not eating or stress he'll pick up on it.. ;) I used to go to extreme lengths to get our lad to eat, puppets are really good (one spoon for puppet, one for baby etc) I one stage i was pureeing my own dinners and eating them so he could eat from the same bowl as me. Great crack!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭lalalulu

Hi... Does your little fella feed himself yet with a spoon or fork? If not maybe try letting him take control give him the bowl and spoon or fork and let him at it. I've found my little one exerting her independence lately so i let her try feeding herself and she loved it, she was so proud of herself :)
    Everything seems to be blamed on teething i do it myself :o however if he is eating food's that need to be chewed maybe it's not his teeth... Let's know how you get on...

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Mono25

hi

thanks for all the replies i think i might try the pureeing the dinner we do have and no he doesnt or mores the point we dont give him the opportunity to feed himself. i think ill try that one.

thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭wantolose

Hi our little boy was eating like a horse, up until about 2 weeks ago. He then would not take anything off a spoon, he would drink his bottle in the morning, and he just would not eat his cereal we tried everything, so then we started giving him toast, homemade brown bread, chopped up ham, cheese he will eat that until he has enough, he will then take a yogurt about 2 hours later.

At dinner or lunch ( he gets what ever we eat, just mashed up lumpy) now I give im a spoon to hold and he really enjoys this and I manage to get the dinner into him, he really wants to feed himself and it drives him mad:mad: if he doesnt get a spoon.

I gave him scramble eggs this morning and he seemed to like that. Also he loves cold chicken chopped up and fish fingers anything he can hold himself seems to do the trick. He just wants to do it himself!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

Anything he can hold himself would be good. Raw/steamed veg & fruit as has been suggested already.

When we're eating meals ourselves (14 Month Old) I always have a spoon on standby so I can feed him from my plate. The trick is not to use too much salt but spicy food is grand. Stuff like noodles & spaghetti are great craic to play with and keep him amused for 30 seconds and if he tastes it while it's on the tray that's great too.

My chap is strange about food on a spoon, might sound mad but I'm putting it down to him being a reflux baby. We have to nearly force the first 3 spoonfulls until he knows that it's something he likes. This involves having a cartoon on in the background and toys in each hand but it also helps to have him really hungry so that he eats a full meal.

It's not easy but if he's thriving it's unlikely there is something wrong with him so to speak. Teething your back / eye teeth must be incredibly painful and sore. Having had all of my wisdom teeth out I wince everytime I see my little man's sore gums so it's not surprising they don't want to chew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Billiejo

Ideally Parent should begin moving from liquidised foods and introducing courser foods from 7/8 months so baby can begin 'chomping' which in turn aids speech development. Can discuss with the the Public Health Nurse as due his 18/12 check soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement