Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Driving

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Just something that came up in conversation.

With regards drink driving in Ireland

Can you be charged with Drink driving for having a horse and cart under the influence?

Can you have a horse and cart on the road without a driving licence?

Is it an ofence to ride a horse onthe road while under the influence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Theponylady

Yes, you can be charged with drunk driving if you are driving a horse and cart on a public road while intoxicated. I understand it can be an offense to be riding a horse while drunk, just as walking down the road while drunk can be a public order offense.

No, there is no license needed to drive a horse and cart on the road. Please don't be giving the government any more ideas of ways to raise more tax money! I drive my pony to the shop because it's too far to walk and I can't afford to drive much anymore...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

I remember reading it a while back about some guy was charged with drink riding during a hunt, he used his horse to knock a woman into a ditch while he was drunk, not sure if this was in ireland or england could of been england now that i think of it. Il see if I can find anything about it again.

As the poster above said im sure it would come under being intoxicated in public laws. Im pretty sure i remember reading also that its illegal not to have a bale of hay in the car boot at all times!:D

Edit: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/man-fined-for-riding-horse-drunk-1521681.html Its not the one about the man during a hunt, can't seem to find that one, maybe I seen it in a magazine?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I think it's about not having control of your animal/stock in a public place.

Advertisement