Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi auto rifle shoot?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Lads, me and a friend would love to try out some semi auto rifles this weekend. We will pay for ammo and targets etc...

Would love to fire anything from WW2 to present day. Is there anywhere we can go to experience this? PM me if you want!

Cheers lads, we were going to try outside Ireland before this, but hope one of yiz can help.

Shot semi autos in US and in FCA but would love to try some other guns.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

chem wrote: »
    Lads, me and a friend would love to try out some semi auto rifles this weekend. We will pay for ammo and targets etc...

Would love to fire anything from WW2 to present day. Is there anywhere we can go to experience this? PM me if you want!

Cheers lads, we were going to try outside Ireland before this, but hope one of yiz can help.

Shot semi autos in US and in FCA but would love to try some other guns.

Try finding a local target range on the internet, they may be able to help you out. As to using another guys gun I'd be very very careful, I've had it pointed out to me by two detectives that any one using another mans gun is breaking the law and risks going to jail and losing their licence. Under Irish firearms law you must be directly licensed to any firearm you shoot on less you are standing on a Garda approved range. Even if you own a gun yourself, that license does not cover you for firing another mans gun. Be very careful here, if you borrow another hunters gun and the Gardai find out he will lose his license for that gun and maybe even any others he has licensed. So it's best to use a Garda approved range, plus you have insurance that way.

Plus if you loan a gun, your directly lible for all damage or harm that may be caused.

I was once in the company of other shooters and my instincts told me they might be dodgy, so I thought about it for awhile and then decided to ask for a group photograph and offered to mail it to them later, they went mental, totally didnt like the idea. So I'm putting it out there as a helpful aid, any one that doe's not like their photo being taken is most likely a crim, on that day it turned out after when I had time to inquire that they infact were, so be careful, just because some one has a licensed firearm doesent mean they arent dodgy.

Hj:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I think the short answer is No.

Irelands ranges arent modelled on the american system where you can walk in and shoot anything. In relation to semi auto, ruger 10/22 etc is the norm though Im sure the target shooters will come in with more detail. Couple of interesting threads on this a while back

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

happyjack wrote: »
    As to using another guys gun I'd be very very careful, I've had it pointed out to me by two detectives that any one using another mans gun is breaking the law and risks going to jail and losing their licence.
    That doesn't apply on an authorised firearms range (and there aren't any unauthorised ranges in Ireland that I know of, and won't be until the Ranges SI is passed; and even then they won't be unauthorised for long and it'll be more a paperwork thing than a "real" issue, if you follow me).
    Plus if you loan a gun, your directly lible for all damage or harm that may be caused.
    Again, not on an authorised range.

Now, if you're talking about hunting, that's a whole other ball of wax.
    decided to ask for a group photograph and offered to mail it to them later
    Not a bad solution at all, that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Advice above on question.

On the matter of Photographs - whereas I see your point it is not a blanket rule.

On my Clubs Range photography and video is not allowed - group photographs are fine but no images of people with firearms - any firearms.

If people want to take photos or Video then the Club/Range will do it and forward it on if appropriate.

There are no 'crims' on a range so that is not the issue.

Eejits posting photos on Facebook or Video on Youtube or worse on boards where their identity may be available in which they show themselves holding or shooting firearms is the problem.

a) It may focus the attention of those will nefarious intent on them as they can be identified.
    b) Picture and Video can be taken out of context and used against people or indeed the range or club.
    c) Many people have said it here and in other contexts that PR, or lack thereof, within the shooting sports is a problem.
    Uncontrolled publication of images or video of the shooting sports can be more damaging than no exposure - hence the club/range wanting to maintain control of what images are produced.

My tuppence.

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Sparks wrote: »
    That doesn't apply on an authorised firearms range (and there aren't any unauthorised ranges in Ireland that I know of, and won't be until the Ranges SI is passed; and even then they won't be unauthorised for long and it'll be more a paperwork thing than a "real" issue, if you follow me). Again, not on an authorised range.
    Actually it doesn't have to be a range:
    (d) the possession, use or carriage of a firearm or ammunition during a competition or target practice at a club, shooting range or any other place that stands authorised under this section or section 4A of this Act.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I suspect, given the OP's mention of "anything from WW2 to present day" and having "Shot semi autos in US and in FCA", that they're talking about centrefire semi-automatic rifles, which are a whole different ball of fish.

OP: there ARE some centrefire semi-automatics licenced in this country, but they're relatively few and far between, and given Official Ireland's running-in-circles-waving-their-hands-in-the-air hysterical attitude to EBRs (Evil Black Rifles) and their inherent eeeevilness and propensity to turn mild-mannered law-abiding ordinary people into mindless frenzied killing machines that would make the Terminator look like Mother Teresa, they're likely to become even more scarce. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Rovi wrote: »
    I suspect, given the OP's mention of "anything from WW2 to present day" and having "Shot semi autos in US and in FCA", that they're talking about centrefire semi-automatic rifles, which are a whole different ball of fish.
    In which case being restricted firearms, cannot be used by other club members.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 798 ✭✭✭lucky-colm

so leaving all this aside because it is starting to stray from the main question a bit.

is there any where in ireland (north or south) that has an authorised range that allows you to use semi automatic or automatic rifles or machine guns that are owned by the range and charge you a fee for the use of its amenities and guns and ammunition.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Short answer NO!!:(:(.
    You will have to go to the Czech republic,Switzerland,Finland, Croatia,Serbia,Poland[i think] for that kind of shooting..
    Only lads who would have that kind of hardware who might give you a shot at it are the cammo and balaclavad ones who work on both sides of the law,and their club memberships and fees are well...abit extreme!:eek::eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

lucky-colm wrote: »
    so leaving all this aside because it is starting to stray from the main question a bit.

is there any where in ireland (north or south) that has an authorised range that allows you to use semi automatic or automatic rifles or machine guns that are owned by the range and charge you a fee for the use of its amenities and guns and ammunition.

No - most of what you described is illegal.

B'Man

<I smell a troll>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

All of it nowadays in fact - ranges can't have day or other temporary memberships anymore.
    And machine guns, being fully automatic, are Class A firearms under EU law and you can't licence them in Ireland as a result.

and if chem's a troll, he's a late bloomer B'man...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭happyjack

Sparks wrote: »
    All of it nowadays in fact - ranges can't have day or other temporary memberships anymore.
    And machine guns, being fully automatic, are Class A firearms under EU law and you can't licence them in Ireland as a result.

and if chem's a troll, he's a late bloomer B'man...

I dont know if it's true, but I heard that as of about 2005 there were 96 fully automatic firearms licensed in the Republic, I dont know to who, maybe Embassy staff.

And another 125 semi auto centerfire rifles.

Was at a meeting about firearms and target clubs and a speaker announced those figures, that he got them from the Park.

HJ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The full autos were not UZI's were they?

Embassies more than likely.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i was working in the house next door to the turkish embassy years ago and i distinctly remember two security staff complete with uzi's out on the pavement looking into the house i was in , we were just after arriving in a van and they were suspicious of it , no attempts to conceal the firearms at all , and i remember wondering what would have happened if an innocent passer-by was shot .

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

Diplomats don't need licences \ certs for their 'weapons'. Their 'weapons' are not in the system. They also can only carry \ use them for the purpose they were intended (ie: never for Target Shooting).

Possibly there are a few full autos in the country in civilian hands but I doubt that there are quite as many as mentioned or lots of people would have seen them by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Civilians can not license full auto stuff here, at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭kakashka

rowa wrote: »
    i was working in the house next door to the turkish embassy years ago and i distinctly remember two security staff complete with uzi's out on the pavement looking into the house i was in , we were just after arriving in a van and they were suspicious of it , no attempts to conceal the firearms at all , and i remember wondering what would have happened if an innocent passer-by was shot .
    AFAIK they are not allowed leave embassy compound with such,
    I think the compound would have been basically considered turkish soil

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭freddieot

They can leave the compound with them (although they are expected to be discreet).

freddieot wrote: »
    Diplomats don't need licences \ certs for their 'weapons'. Their 'weapons' are not in the system. They also can only carry \ use them for the purpose they were intended (ie: never for Target Shooting).

Possibly there are a few full autos in the country in civilian hands but I doubt that there are quite as many as mentioned or lots of people would have seen them by now.

Errr,not quite...They are required to inform their host country that the embassy has got a selection of weaponary,and what it is.Sidearms up to light machine guns are acceptable apprently..They can be brought in via the "diplomatic bag"[Which can be the size of a 40ft container] and anyone carrying them would be coverd by "diplomatic immunity".However use of one would be good enough grounds for the host country to request the immediate expulsion of the user.Or at worst a major diplomatic incident/termination of diplomatic relations as there was with Libya/Uk in the 1980s when the WPC was shot by a Libyan diplomat in London in the 1980s.So in Rowas case had somthing happed Kamal and Abdul would have been on the first flight back to Ankara under diplomatic immunity.By rights it is the host country that is supposed to supply the security for embassies or personel[IE the Garda outside the US embassy].The only time personel are supposed to be armed is when there is no hope of the host country providing protection[IE there is a screaming mob outside the gates baying for the embassy countries blood]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

it was a good long time ago that this happened ,13-14 years at a guess and there was trouble with turkey and another country probabily cyprus , but i cannot remember , they were out on the public footpath and fully armed , i remember thinking it was ironic that an irish citizen (or subject:rolleyes:) couldn't at that time get a pistol for target shooting but someone from a foreign country could brazenly stroll around with things like uzi's .

That would have been around the last time Greece and Turkey had a spat about Cyprus...Naughty walking around outside the embassy compound on Irish soil with FA stuff...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

Thanks for all the replys. So is anyone going to be at any range over the weekend with a semi auto? That they, wouldnt mind me and my friend having a go on?

If your a little affraid to text on the site, Sparks (and others) im sure can vouch for me as been legit as a shooter and having the sports interest at hart.

An M1 Garand would be great :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Here you go:

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

Except you have to get to Las Vegas. I've heard there's some places that rent machine guns on the east coast though, maybe florida.

Bring cash though. it takes about five seconds to empty a mp5 (and its a small round) so it gets expensive fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Here you go:

http://www.thegunstorelasvegas.com/

Except you have to get to Las Vegas. I've heard there's some places that rent machine guns on the east coast though, maybe florida.

Bring cash though. it takes about five seconds to empty a mp5 (and its a small round) so it gets expensive fast.

Cheers;) but hope I can find just a semi auto rifle to shoot here! No need for full auto stuff. Was in Florida, years ago, and shot SKS, AK, M16, Thompson, etc on full auto. Great fun but just some semi-auto would be fun here.

Advertisement