Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

MayoForSam wrote: »
    So where are the expected public sector pay cuts? Biffo taking 30% and the higher paid civil servants taking 15% is not going to save a billion a year.

Probably try and sneak the really bad news in later?

He announced them. All PS workers are getting a paycut of between 5 and 15%, depending on your income

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Yeah, but when it's only the public sector of the work force being hit by the government, it must be a bit of a kick in the face.

Plus, 5-15% of your wages is a considerable amount. People have every right to be disappointed.

On the whole the private sector are getting hit much much harder, in the groin I might add. Just because it's not splayed across the national press dont mean it's not happening.

Private sector workers get paycuts at the whim of the company, thats a fear Public sector-ees dont have AND theres job security too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    They're more than welcome to match the ~140,000 redundancies the private sector have seen.

The private sector would be unlikely to survive without the support of the public sector - and vice versa.

It shouldn't be a debate between one against the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Government budget documents can now be found here:

http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/2010.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

rushnaldo wrote: »
    I get 204 euro a week on stamps. what is it cut to now? single man

Was reading a few posts over in the politics section and a lot of posters there are saying that if you're receving €204 now you'll still get €204. I think it's for new people applying to the dole that it gets cut.

I honestly am not an expert on this so don't take my word for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

misslt wrote: »
    Face of Cowen beside him

Cowen just looked like he was dying for a 'hang sanwhich' ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

On the bright side new scrappage scheme is good.

I don't think anyone expected to remain untouched, but to be told in one day that your wages are being slashed by 5-15% percentage, that has to be a shocker.

It's just going to be a difficult next few months for a lot of people, if not everyone.

People in the public sector AND the private sector have had to deal with cuts like this, it's only fair. The government employ the private sector, they can't afford the wages, cuts have to be made. Much better than letting a load of them go isn't it? They didn't raise income tax or the levy so that's something to be thankful for.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I don't think anyone expected to remain untouched, but to be told in one day that your wages are being slashed by 5-15% percentage, that has to be a shocker.

It's just going to be a difficult next few months for a lot of people, if not everyone.

Well mine were cut by 40% at the start of the year (3 day week). Now it look very likely that the remaining 60% is gone too. Wanna swap?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Never thought Id agree with this man but I do.
    I was a bit surprised myself :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I would like to remind all posters once more that trolling and digs at all public sector are not welcome and will see you banned from this forum. Make your points without sneering please.
    Report any posts you find objectionable.
    Carry on.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Was reading a few posts over in the politics section and a lot of posters there are saying that if you're receving €204 now you'll still get €204. I think it's for new people applying to the dole that it gets cut.

I honestly am not an expert on this so don't take my word for it.

No, social welfare for over 24s is being cut by 4%, so will be around €195 now

http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2010/FinancialStatement.aspx#item13

New dole applicants aged 20 and 21, who have no dependent children, will have their payment reduced to €100 per week.

For anyone a little confused about the dole.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well mine were cut by 40% at the start of the year (3 day week). Now it look very likely that the remaining 60% is gone too. Wanna swap?

how can you complain, they give you extra holidays on top of your annual leave!!!

(that's what they said about PS when they recommended shorter working year)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I was a bit surprised myself :D

Ah we agree on the important stuff ;) I took a 100% cut earlier in the year. Any cut on rent allownace?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

The Finance Minister Brian Lenihan has said allowances for new applicants for job seekers allowance and supplementary welfare for those aged between 20 and 24 will be cut.

Those bewteen 20 and 21 will see benefit cut to €100 per week and €150 per week for those aged between 22 and 24.

Jobseekers allowance will be cut to €150 per week if person refuses job offer or training scheme.

That's a pretty harsh cut for any young job seekers out of college. 100 a week is surely very low to live on?
    Totally agree with the last part, anyone refusing a job / training automatically sees dole cot to 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

The private sector would be unlikely to survive without the support of the public sector - and vice versa.

It shouldn't be a debate between one against the other.

You're right, the public sector should just accept that they need to take pay cuts, which isn't the same as a tax increase, and the debate will be over. when there were massive cuts in the private sector you didn't see them debating over whether or not some of those cuts should be shared by the public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

jumpguy wrote: »
    On the bright side new scrappage scheme is good.

Actually would have liked to see a push towards a "greener" Ireland with more focus on better public transport, bike2work scheme extension to non-working people (given so many are on the dole anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I'm not lucky enough to own my own home but the new Property Tax is disgusting.

People bought their homes with their own money.

With money that tax was ALREADY paid on :rolleyes:

Lads just print some more money. It'd save all this bickering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

I think it was a good budget in that it was not as bad as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    how can you complain, they give you extra holidays on top of your annual leave!!!

(that's what they said about PS when they recommended shorter working year)

Good and all as 365 days annual leave is, I think I'd rather have a wage that the government was able to cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

That's a pretty harsh cut for any young job seekers out of college. 100 a week is surely very low to live on?
    Totally agree with the last part, anyone refusing a job / training automatically sees dole cot to 150.

Harsh, but the ultimate incentive to look for work. Very close model to that in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Could be wrong but isn't the equivalent in the UK £50 a week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Krieg wrote: »
    Oh, its blessed are the Meek
    Im glad they're getting something, they've had a hell of a time

Big nose :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

is it over .. can I open my eyes yet ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

5% on the first 30,000

7.5% on the next up to 40,000

10% on the next 55,000

Nasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Actually would have liked to see a push towards a "greener" Ireland with more focus on better public transport, bike2work scheme extension to non-working people (given so many are on the dole anyway)
    Now that wouldn't be very popular. People still need to drive cars.

Personally I've found the most disappointing aspect of the budget is a 50c charge on medical card perscriptions. The medical card system is already a load of shit. Now to make it ****tier, if you have a medical card you must pay MORE. Yeah...equal access to health care whether rich or poor my arse, we're like America!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

you want the bike to work scheme for people who dont work?

Eh well eh Im not sure how to address that:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭DubMedic

No rise in the charge for attending A&E, for a private bed in a public hospital, or in the private health insurance levy, according to rte..

Advertisement