Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

That_Guy wrote: »
    Lads just print some more money. It'd save all this bickering.

We cant we use the Euro now, so France and Germany can sell us stuff more easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I dont think the fact that high earners being targeted has been given enough credit, especially high earning civil servants.

Non-residents being hit with 200k per year is welcome also.

I like the way he softened us up with the cuts to the high earners before he went to mid-level public sector and social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

Currently 24 years of age, finished my masters and seeking work, getting 204 euro a week at the moment what will this hold for me.

I'm confused as to whether its 24 and over that has reduced by 4% or do I fall between the 22-24 age bracket? or does the 150 a week apply to those newly applying for the dole?

Few definitive answers would be nice, nothing speculative!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I dont think the fact that high earners being targeted has been given enough credit, especially high earning civil servants.

Non-residents being hit with 200k per year is welcome also.

I like the way he softened us up with the cuts to the high earners before he went to mid-level public sector and social welfare.

Exactly, sick of listening to people saying "the rich should be hit harder"....well they ARE :rolleyes:

fatjebus wrote: »
    Currently 24 years of age, finished my masters and seeking work, getting 204 euro a week at the moment what will this hold for me.

I'm confused as to whether its 24 and over that has reduced by 4% or do I fall between the 22-24 age bracket? or does the 150 a week apply to those newly applying for the dole?

New applicants to job seekers allowance will succumb to these changes. I do believe you are safe.

• Advertisement

I wouldn't listen to Joan Burton for a million euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

jumpguy wrote: »
    Now that wouldn't be very popular. People still need to drive cars.

Personally I've found the most disappointing aspect of the budget is a 50c charge on medical card perscriptions. The medical card system is already a load of shit. Now to make it ****tier, if you have a medical card you must pay MORE. Yeah...equal access to health care whether rich or poor my arse, we're like America!

50c for each piece of free medication boo hoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I love how everybody starts walking out of the dail as your annoying woman from labour starts talking :D

AFAIK the change in JSA in under 25s only applies to new applicants. You'll be getting €196 per week (4% cut on 204)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

What the hell is that thing on RTE 2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Petrol is going up at midnight, how much though?

Just found it:

4.2cent Petrol
    4.9cent Diesel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Kradock

Dole payments cut by €8 a week (with additional cuts for under 24s)
    People over 25 will get €196 a week , stop scare mongering
    Child benefit reduced by €16 per month . Should be means tested
    Excise duty on alcohol reduced - 12c cut on beer and cider, 14c cut on a measure of spirits, 16c cut on a bottle of wine , sweet Jebus you would have to drink about 42 pints before you got a free one in some pubs.
    No change on tobacco tax
    Non smoker I am:)
    50c charge for every medical card prescription from April .
    Still cheaper than Tuborg
    Carbon tax of €15 per tonne - if you beleive in Global warming , personally I would cull all cattle and plant more trees
    Hospital consultants will see their pay cut by up to 15%
    . Thats sad;)
    Irish domicile levy of €200,000 per year for high net worth individuals - pay for your nationality :)
    New 'universal social contribution', which will replace employee PRSI, the Health Levy and the Income Levy - still raping my salary
    Public servants' pensions to be linked to average salary across career, rather than final salary - Seems about right
    Taoiseach's salary to be reduced by 20% . Poor Brian
    Mortgage interest relief - Extended to 2018 for those who now find themselves in negative equity . Has to be good
    Flood relief - More than €70m to be given to help victims and stop future floods - Maybe invest it in better planners
    National Solidarity Bond aimed at small investors to be launched -No idea what this is yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

So Property tax on the way (but not just yet )

water charges also on the way soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

for 1st time signing on over 24 whats the story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭fatjebus

New applicants to job seekers allowance will succumb to these changes. I do believe you are safe.

thank god, its not that im lazy and or unwilling to work I just don't see anything in my field opening up until at least the new year and I'm in desperate need of every few shillings I can get until then, and as things stand chances are I'm going to have to go overseas in order to obtain some work :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

basquille wrote: »
    Could be wrong but isn't the equivalent in the UK £50 a week?

Pretty much.
    thank god, its not that im lazy and or unwilling to work I just don't see anything in my field opening up until at least the new year and I'm in desperate need of every few shillings I can get until then, and as things stand chances are I'm going to have to go overseas in order to obtain some work :(

Go for it. The further you can get from Sligo the better, trust me on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Petrol is going up at midnight, how much though?

Up 3.5% I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yeah, but when it's only the public sector of the work force being hit by the government, it must be a bit of a kick in the face.

Plus, 5-15% of your wages is a considerable amount. People have every right to be disappointed.

My wage cut falls into this category.

The way I look at it is like this:

My boss cuts some of my pay, your boss (you may or may not work in the Public sector) cuts some of yours.

There are VERY few private sector positions around whose job/pay has remained unaffected. Very few.

My opinion of those who are in private sector jobs that have been unaffected? Fair play to them! They are obviously working in an efficient working environment, where a full days work is being done, and the company is rewarded for it. I can tell you one thing though.....private sector bosses don't take long in weeding out those who can't put in a decent shift. They simply cannot afford dead weight anymore. This is the problem the government is facing.

What's strange is that we have gotten extremely busy over the past 2 months, since that girl was shown the door. So there is now lots of work to do, and less people to do it. So I am now working much harder/longer than I was in 2007 for example, and for less money.

I'll get on with it though. Keep my head down and hope that in the next few months the boss will review things and see if original wages can be restored provided we are just as busy as we are now.

I can't understand how others cannot adopt this attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Jaysus in Joan Burton ever gets into power we are shafted im telling you.

At least Richard Bruton sounds like he knows what he is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Dunno, but it tried to make a joke and failed. Can't even read its script properly.

• Advertisement

Exactly, sick of listening to people saying "the rich should be hit harder"....well they ARE :rolleyes:

I do fear however that high earners usually and shrewdly have creative accountants who can find loopholes etc (I suppose this is mainly connected to tax exiles).

In Norway you can go online, look up any citizen you want and you can see the exact figure of tax they paid for that year. I can only imagine the reaction to the wealthy in this country (on the majority) if the same system was introduced here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Stekelly wrote: »
    Well mine were cut by 40% at the start of the year (3 day week). Now it look very likely that the remaining 60% is gone too. Wanna swap?

I don't work in the public sector.

I can just sympathise with people who have today been told they're having their wages cut by a considerable amount.

Sure, the country's in a dire state right now and there does have to be cuts, but a lot of people working in the public sector ... guards, nurses, doctors, teachers do extremely valuable work that greatly benefits Ireland as a country and society (not to take away from other professions).
    I find it very saddening that people like these are being hit, when essentially, they make up a big part of what keeps the country running and functioning, on a day to day basis.
    They aren't usually rewarded or thanked enough for their services to society.

Of course, the budget's tough on pretty much everyone and when the times get tough, everyone has to take it on the chin (I include the public sector and the professions I mentioned in that) ... but for some people, today is an especially tough day and I sympathise with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Fizman wrote: »

My boss cuts some of my pay, your boss (you may or may not work in the Public sector) cuts some of yours.

There are VERY few private sector positions around whose job/pay has remained unaffected. Very few.

My opinion of those who are in jobs that have been unaffected? Fair play to them! They are obviously working in an efficient working environment, where a full days work is being done, and the company is rewarded for it.

What's strange is that we have gotten extremely busy over the past 2 months, since that girl was shown the door. So there is now lots of work to do, and less people to do it. So I am now working much harder/longer than I was in 2007 for example, and for less money.

I'll get on with it though. Keep my head down and hope that in the next few months the boss will review things and see if original wages can be restored provided we are just as busy as we are now.

Of course people will adopt a good attitude. Were you so full of the joys of life when you heard of your pay cut?

The budget has just finished, even people who work in the public sector are allowed to be disappointed by a pay cut that was announced half an hour ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Joan Burton?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Go for it. The further you can get from Sligo the better, trust me on this one.
    Heyyyyyyy..

.. good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

Fizman wrote: »

My opinion of those who are in jobs that have been unaffected? Fair play to them! They are obviously working in an efficient working environment, where a full days work is being done, and the company is rewarded for it.

Because people in the public sector wont get called in to discuss returning to there old wage. If it was announced in the next budget that there would be a 10% increase for public sector workers there would be anarchy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

'I saw NAMA killing Santa Claus.'

Genius!

I don't work in the public sector.

I can just sympathise with people who have today been told they're having their wages cut by a considerable amount.

Sure, the country's in a dire state right now and there does have to be cuts, but a lot of people working in the public sector ... guards, nurses, doctors, teachers do extremely valuable work that greatly benefits Ireland as a country and society (not to take away from other professions).
    I find it very saddening that people like these are being hit, when essentially, they make up a big part of what keeps the country running and functioning, on a day to day basis.
    They aren't usually rewarded or thanked enough for their services to society.

You could say this for dozens of jobs in the private sector too!! Do you take time out of every day to sympathise with all the people in the private sector who have to take paycuts that day? Or even worse, the ones who lost their jobs that day?

Stekelly wrote: »
    Joan Burton?

My Samsung put up "ERR - sound out of range" when she started speaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

'I saw NAMA killing Santa Claus.'

Genius!

Afaik none of these cuts have anything to do with NAMA.

Advertisement