Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

You could say this for dozens of jobs in the private sector too!!

Hence why I said "not to take away from other professions".

Again, I'm not turning this into private vs public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Because people in the public sector wont get called in to discuss returning to there old wage. If it was announced in the next budget that there would be a 10% increase for public sector workers there would be anarchy.

Add to that the major bonus normally attributed ot a public sectpr job, which was that the public sector worker got for their 30 years service was the pension which has been slashed as well as an increase in the age of retirement which must be considered as a nice boonus for public sector workers as now they can work longer but for much less.

Nice

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Again, I'm not turning this into private vs public sector.

Indeed, it should be Public + Private sectors untied against the real enemy....France :mad:

You could say this for dozens of jobs in the private sector too!! Do you take time out of every day to sympathise with all the people in the private sector who have to take paycuts that day? Or even worse, the ones who lost their jobs that day?

Your very bitter about public servants someone offers some sympathy to them no more than that, not even tryign to pander to them saying they dont deserve it, but says it must seem harsh and you attack that poster.

You do seem a little angry with public sector workers, why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭diamondgirl

excise duty on cigs, so they will go up 25cent a packet, so dont know why they saying no increase.
    Drink prices down, but will the pubs pass on the public.
    Income levys to double, so less wages to all.
    heating bills to go up.

How much more can they hit a working family.

I think we will all be hit in some way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Add to that the major bonus normally attributed ot a public sectpr job, which was that the public sector worker got for their 30 years service was the pension which has been slashed as well as an increase in the age of retirement which must be considered as a nice boonus for public sector workers as now they can work longer but for much less.

Nice

I'd say a high percentage of private sector workers won't be getting a bonus this year, I know I won't. Complete job security is much better than any monetary bonus I could receive at this moment in time. The PS workers should be grateful for that, plus a nice pension when they retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

excise duty on cigs, so they will go up 25cent a packet, so dont know why they saying no increase.
    heating bills to go up.

Hold on are you watching the last budget?

Indeed, it should be Public + Private sectors untied against the real enemy....France :mad:

Freedom fries for dinner so!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I love when public sector people say that we should all unite against the government and stop fighting with each other. I always wonder if they intend to get the government to force my employer to give me back the pay cut I took or are we just standing tall together to prevent their pay cut by increasing my tax

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭jenzz

Just heard Vincent Browne there saying Lenihan is talking credit for capping the bankers salaries at 500K yet slapping 5% on the lower paid public sector worker ???????????????????:eek::eek:
    So number 1 can wreck the country for 500K a year & then you number 2 can go out & get paid a poxy 30K for all the grief you get & we will slap you with 5%. Like WTF........................

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I love when public sector people say that we should all unite against the government and stop fighting with each other. I always wonder if they intend to get the government to force my employer to give me back the pay cut I took or are we just standing tall together to prevent their pay cut by increasing my tax

i love the way private sector workers have a sense of humour about all this

Freedom fries for dinner so!

No, just chips :pac:

Your very bitter about public servants someone offers some sympathy to them no more than that, not even tryign to pander to them saying they dont deserve it, but says it must seem harsh and you attack that poster.

You do seem a little angry with public sector workers, why is that?

I wasn't attacking her at all! I simply asked her a question. And yes, of course I'm angry at public sector workers, like half the country is! They seem to think they should be immune from paycuts when the country is up the sh*tter. Everyone else has to play a part in trying to sort things out, why shouldn't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I wasn't attacking her at all! I simply asked her a question. And yes, of course I'm angry at public sector workers, like half the country is! They seem to think they should be immune from paycuts when the country is up the sh*tter. Everyone else has to play a part in trying to sort things out, why shouldn't they?

Shhh.

heating bills to go up.

Ehhh cigarettes aren't going up....and there was no increase in the income levies...what you on about!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Quick we've been given permission from Joan Bruton to get golf clubs and beat our officials

Warfi wrote: »
    i love the way private sector workers have a sense of humour about all this

Especially those folk who work in the Big Top.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Again I want to indicate once more the prevailing rules of this thread.
    1. No negative generalisation about public or private service.
    Anyone with any issues please report posts.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Shhh.

But I'm having fun! :pac:

Again I want to indicate once more the prevailing rules of this thread.
    1. No negative generalisation about public or private service.
    Anyone with any issues please report posts.

Ok I will Shhh :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, will she stop talking!:mad:

• Advertisement

Dont employers normally try to negotiate with their worker first and resort to cutting pay last?

Perhaps public servants would have liked that consideration from their government/Employer before they anounced to the general public several months ago that they were slashing pay.

If we're going down the 'we do it, why shouldn't they' route.....

Why is it that only private sector workers are allowed to worry about pay cuts and paying their mortgages, but public sector workers aren't? Why are they allowed to be disappointed about paycuts, but public sector workers aren't?

I never said that. Of course everyone's going to be disappointed when they've to take a paycut. My point is that no one should be immune.

Does anyone think anything positive has come from the budget?

The reduction in price of pints and VAT is something, even if it is small. Better than nothing, at least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

I never said that. Of course everyone's going to be disappointed when they've to take a paycut. My point is that no one should be immune.

no one is immune

The reduction in price of pints and VAT is something, even if it is small. Better than nothing, at least!

Reduction in alcohol prices isn't really a benefit to the state, perhaps a benefit to alcoholics but are they the people we should be looking to help.

I know I dont think so

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Yes I think a lot of positives have come from the budget. Necessary cuts have been made and because of those cuts I can look forward to our country still existing in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Cool_CM wrote: »
    Jaysus, will she stop talking!:mad:

I know.

"Go out and look at the shoppers, who arn't carry shopping bags on Grafton street"

I did, I looked out my Window. At least 80% of them are carry bags.

Moron, end of....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Urg, enough of this stupid public against private. If weve to dig ourselves out of dept then we should all shoulder the blame. Not just one sector. I have to say, I dont think it was as harsh as it could have been.

no one is immune

Yes, I know :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

50c prescription charges seem reasonable.
    The reduction to 150 of dole if someone refuses a job / training seems progressive.
    The scrappage scheme is a positive.
    Booze going down, fags staying the same.
    homeowners in negative equity whose mortgage interest relief is due to expire in 2010 will continue to receive it for a further seven years to 2017.

The positives are potentially there depending on your stance. The big question now is what the reaction will be to the public sector cuts from the unions.

Advertisement