Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Warfi wrote: »
    Of course people will adopt a good attitude. Were you so full of the joys of life when you heard of your pay cut?

The budget has just finished, even people who work in the public sector are allowed to be disappointed by a pay cut that was announced half an hour ago.

Of course they are entitled to be disappointed. I wasn't full of the joys of life on that day, but I also didn't run home to the parents crying, questioning why it was brought about.
    Because people in the public sector wont get called in to discuss returning to there old wage. If it was announced in the next budget that there would be a 10% increase for public sector workers there would be anarchy.

I didn't get the opportunity / wasn't in the position to picket when I heard that my wages were about to be cut. If I argued my case like many have recently, I would have been shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Reduction in alcohol prices isn't really a benefit to the state, perhaps a benefit to alcoholics but are they the people we should be looking to help.

I know I dont think so
    No, it's to stop people going North.

I think the budget is far better thought-out than the previous, more hasty budgets in March and last December. Alot of positives in this budget, and some of the cuts are for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Does anyone think anything positive has come from the budget?

The reduction in price of pints and VAT is something, even if it is small. Better than nothing, at least!

Cuts on high earners.
    Cuts on booze.

In relation to the pending water charges...I personally have no issue with paying (I would imagine any charges will be minimal) HOWEVER, how on earth are they going to fairly charge us...the only way I can see it working is if every home in the country gets their own meter, which begs the question...how will they meter my apartment block, like I said I dont mind paying but I do if my home is not metered directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Urg, enough of this stupid public against private. If weve to dig ourselves out of dept then we should all shoulder the blame. Not just one sector. I have to say, I dont think it was as harsh as it could have been.

Yes exactly. The private sector has seen 140,000 redundancies and massive pay cuts for the ones that are left. When I see something similar in the public sector I'll consider that to be equal shouldering. Until then they're getting off lightly

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Reduction in alcohol prices isn't really a benefit to the state, perhaps a benefit to alcoholics but are they the people we should be looking to help.

I know I dont think so

I believe the reduction in alcohol prices is a bit of an attempt to stem the flow up north for the christmas booze run. I dont know if it will work and if that is the plan it is a bit cynical but we shall see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I know I dont think so

That's a ridiculous and short-sighted statement

The gap between prices here and over the border is massive enough to make alot of people go up north to buy drink, and many of them spend their money on other things while up there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Yes, I know :confused:

so why do you keep going on about it?

I believe the reduction in alcohol prices is a bit of an attempt to stem the flow up north for the christmas booze run. I dont know if it will work and if that is the plan it is a bit cynical but we shall see.
    Will probably cause the slightest of slight drops. Like the difference between someone going to their local off-license on a Friday night or saying "****it, I'll go North and get ****loads of booze". For any real results a drastic cut will have to made, like 2 Euro or something. Suprised fags didn't come down either, but I suppose keeping them the same is grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

Fizman wrote: »
    Of course they are entitled to be disappointed. I wasn't full of the joys of life on that day, but I also didn't run home to the parents crying, questioning why it was brought about.

who's crying to their parents about it, and who's questioning it?

The gap between prices here and over the border is massive enough to make alot of people go up north to buy drink, and many of them spend their money on other things while up there

The multiples MAY now be in a position to offer the same prices, a small decrease applied over bulk buying should hopefully get the prices down, having said that Im off to Belfast next week to do my shopping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

That's a ridiculous and short-sighted statement

Having a worry about what alcohol does to our people and society is a short sighted view? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Warfi wrote: »
    who's crying to their parents about it, and who's questioning it?

You're asking me who questioned having their pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Yes exactly. The private sector has seen 140,000 redundancies and massive pay cuts for the ones that are left. When I see something similar in the public sector I'll consider that to be equal shouldering. Until then they're getting off lightly

The public service provide services not products. People are not buying cars, houses, going on holidays so jobs are lost as people cut back on luxuries.

But people need the services, education health etc so a comparable cut is not realistic.

Having a worry about what alcohol does to our people and society is a short sighted view? :eek:

Nice tangent there....purple monkey dishwasher.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Could all posters please remember that this thread is one about the budget and budget reaction. Please stop attempting to denigrate it into a public vs. private sector debate. We have had plenty of those and will continue to do so in the days and weeks ahead. A number of workers have just suffered a large loss in income and as a result are worried. So the public vs. private sector crap stops now.

Nice tangent there....purple monkey dishwasher.

Not a tangent at all very much related to finance issues.

Alcohol related health and social issues account for how much of our public spending?

People will still drink...what they're trying to change is where the drink has been bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

jumpguy wrote: »
    Personally I've found the most disappointing aspect of the budget is a 50c charge on medical card perscriptions. The medical card system is already a load of shit. Now to make it ****tier, if you have a medical card you must pay MORE. Yeah...equal access to health care whether rich or poor my arse, we're like America!

But 50cents is less than the price of a bar of chocolate. It's nothing compared with what working people pay for medication.

Not a tangent at all very much related to finance issues.

Indirectly yes, budget related no...you're on th verge of not being taken seriously, URL has the taste for Trolls in the back of his throat.
    Alcohol related health and social issues account for how much of our public spending?

Why are you asking me the question, if it's such a big issue to you then why dont you have the figures?

sunnyside wrote: »
    But 50cents is less than the price of a bar of chocolate. It's nothing compared with what working people pay for medication.
    Medical cards are not only for the non-working people, but also the poorer people, and the elderly.

• Advertisement

edit: no more talk about the PS

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Had a chat with my mother who called me.
    She said the garages are the moment are doing a sudden roaring increase in business with huge lines queuing up!
    Heck!

Anyone know what the price difference between here and the North and will it mean people around the border areas hopping across (like times past) to buy their petrol yet again?

Indirectly yes, budget related no...you're on th verge of not being taken seriously, URL has the taste for Trolls in the back of his throat.

Why are you asking me the question, if it's such a big issue to you then why dont you have the figures?

as of 2004 it was over €2.6 billion

Firstly, some areas of the public sector might need everyone they have such as the front line services but there is most definitely slack in the ranks that could be trimmed down if the unions would allow it.

But even if redundancies couldn't be brought in, the "blame" is still not being "shouldered equally" until the monetary cuts in the public sector match the monetary cuts in the private sector. The cuts represented by 140,000 redundancies plus massive cuts for many of the people who are left totally dwarf the pay cuts being brought in today. Since redundancies are off the table, either because they need everyone or because the unions won't allow it, for the public sector to truly be hit as hard as the private sector there'd probably have to be pay cuts in the region of 50% to 60%

someone on €26,000 to go to €10,400
    and someone on 35,000 to go to €14,000 :eek:

Now who is trolling?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

What happened to the big coup?? Yer man with the awesome accent is talking about it.

someone on €26,000 to go to €10400
    and someone on 35,000 to go to €14,000 :eek:

Now who is trolling?

I'm not saying that should happen, I'm saying that there's no point talking about equal shouldering until it does. Even with these cuts the private sector have still been hit massively harder than the public, the only difference is that it wasn't the government doing most of the hitting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

jumpguy wrote: »
    Personally I've found the most disappointing aspect of the budget is a 50c charge on medical card perscriptions. The medical card system is already a load of shit. Now to make it ****tier, if you have a medical card you must pay MORE. Yeah...equal access to health care whether rich or poor my arse, we're like America!

what are you talking about?

i have a medical card. if im sick, i ring my GP. they usually make an appointment for the day after or if an emergency, the same day.
    when the doctor gives me a prescription, i walk across the road to the chemist, and hand it in. i wait 5 mins, and then im handed my medicine.

it costs me personally nothing.
    how is that a ****ty system?

the only thing thats going to change is i hand in a .50c coin.
    im poor, and its not going to affect me one bit.
    my grandparents both have medical card's. they are in their 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I'm not saying that should happen, I'm saying that there's no point talking about equal shouldering until it does. Even with these cuts the private sector have still been hit massively harder than the public

Seriously. Stop. You quoted me and missed my point entirely. Pointing the fingers accomplishes nothing other than arguing pointlessly while the country goes down the toilet. We have to pay tax, cuts have to be made. Thats the long and the short of it. They should be made all across the board. End of.

Stekelly wrote: »
    Cue Diageo with an increase to cover "costs" :)
    That_Guy wrote: »
    Water charges???? Fcuk off.

Theres Diageos costs right there.
    Des wrote: »
    Drink down, yay!

See above :(
    Cuts on high earners.
    Cuts on booze.

In relation to the pending water charges...I personally have no issue with paying (I would imagine any charges will be minimal) HOWEVER, how on earth are they going to fairly charge us...the only way I can see it working is if every home in the country gets their own meter, which begs the question...how will they meter my apartment block, like I said I dont mind paying but I do if my home is not metered directly.

Good point. Another point: how much will meters cost, and who will foot the bill? He did say it was based on consumption after a free allocation has been used, so this would indicate a meter á lá ESB?

Also, one of the girls in my job lives in Meath and has to get her drinking water from her mothers house due to the overabundance of limescale. I'm pretty sure she'd refuse to pay her water charges unless the quality improves. What happens then? What about in places like Galway when it gets contaminated? Are people entitled to a refund?
    Yes exactly. The private sector has seen 140,000 redundancies and massive pay cuts for some of the ones that are left.

FYP.

Cheaper drink + dearer petrol = less people in newry.

• Advertisement

I'm not saying that should happen, I'm saying that there's no point talking about equal shouldering until it does. Even with these cuts the private sector have still been hit massively harder than the public

You did say that should happen, I quoted it, but thats semantics!

So overall as an entity public sector workers have taken a 50% to 60% pay cut, quite simply thats not believable and has not happened, anyway thats all Im saying before I get a ban

Advertisement