Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Puddleduck wrote: »
    Seriously. Stop. You quoted me and missed my point entirely. Pointing the fingers accomplishes nothing other than arguing pointlessly while the country goes down the toilet. We have to pay tax, cuts have to be made. Thats the long and the short of it. They should be made all across the board. End of.

I didn't miss your point, a tax instead of a PS pay cut is extremely unfair. But we're not allowed talk about it in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

what are you talking about?

i have a medical card. if im sick, i ring my GP. they usually make an appointment for the day after or if an emergency, the same day.
    when the doctor gives me a prescription, i walk across the road to the chemist, and hand it in. i wait 5 mins, and then im handed my medicine.

it costs me personally nothing.
    how is that a ****ty system?

the only thing thats going to change is i hand in a .50c coin.
    im poor, and its not going to affect me one bit.
    my grandparents both have medical card's. they are in their 80's.
    The medical card system works grand when it comes to GPs and things, but sure how could that go wrong? I'm referring to the hospital care in this country which I know from the experience of a relative is disgraceful as it is. Also, why is it only medical card users that pay the charge? What about private customers? It's the principles that annoy me.

You did say that should happen, I quoted it, but thats semantics!

What I said: "Since redundancies are off the table, either because they need everyone or because the unions won't allow it, for the public sector to truly be hit as hard as the private sector there'd probably have to be pay cuts in the region of 50% to 60%"

"There'd" is a contraction of "there would", ie I was speaking in the condition tense. There's a difference between would and should.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    I love when public sector people say that we should all unite against the government and stop fighting with each other. I always wonder if they intend to get the government to force my employer to give me back the pay cut I took or are we just standing tall together to prevent their pay cut by increasing my tax

Listen pall..my wages are down by 9% in the last year plus another 7% with this new budget..close on 20% in a year.
    How much of paycut are we supposed to take while you keep spouting your drivel?

I reccomend you STFU.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

ouch!

Although I only lose like 75 euro from my grant, as long as I cut out the caviar and solid gold teeth I'll be grand

• Advertisement

Degsy wrote: »
    Listen pall..my wages are down by 9% in the last year plus another 7% with this new budget..close on 20% in a year.

I reccomend you STFU.

You should take pay cuts until the government can afford to pay your wages without bankrupting the country, just like any employer the government can only pay what it can afford. Fairness doesn't really come into it.

And if you don't like it, take your chances in the private sector

I reccomend you STFU.

Well, if we can't sack anyone, which we can't, then it would have to be 50-60% :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

What I said: "Since redundancies are off the table, either because they need everyone or because the unions won't allow it, for the public sector to truly be hit as hard as the private sector there'd probably have to be pay cuts in the region of 50% to 60%"

"There'd" is a contraction of "there would", ie I was speaking in the condition tense. There's a difference between would and should.

I reccomend you STFU.
    You should take pay cuts until the government can afford to pay your wages without bankrupting the country. Fairness doesn't really come into it.

The pair of you can knock it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

So that condition being if your opinion mattered so if you had been leader then there would be or should be such a cut.

So your still saying there should be (in your opinion) a cut of .......( see previous post for )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

jumpguy wrote: »
    The medical card system works grand when it comes to GPs and things, but sure how could that go wrong? I'm referring to the hospital care in this country which I know from the experience of a relative is disgraceful as it is. Also, why is it only medical card users that pay the charge? What about private customers? It's the principles that annoy me.

hold on there, i dont see how hospital treatment has anything to do with a medical card?
    my gran has alzheimer's and had 6 major strokes over the last 8 months, she was admitted to hospital almost 11 times in the last year. Not once was there a problem with anything.

secondly, several close friends of mine have been to hospital for various reason's and they have never made a complaint about being or NOT being a medical card holder. their treatment was all the same.

a few weeks ago, i dropped my laptop on my foot while drunk, and my friend brought me to hospital. i gave my medical card number to the reception staff, and within 30mins i was on the xray table.
    as soon as i got the results, they gave me some pain killer's some advice on how to walk on my foot over the next 2 weeks, and even gave me contact information for a physio.
    this was at 3am. there were several drunk and disorderly people there that night, but the staff were excellent.

so having a medical card and going to the hospital has absoloute nothing to do with each other. your still treated the same as a paying customer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

I reccomend you STFU.

Don't let to get to you - it's not worth it. There's going to be difference of opinion in any debate!

Just know that most people can sympathise, or indeed empathise with your situation.
    It's a hell of a tough time for a lot of people :(

So that condition being if your opinion mattered so if you had been leader then there would be or should be such a cut.

So your still saying there should be (in your opinion) a cut of .......( see previous post for )

If that's what you want to think but that's very clearly not what I said. I said for it to be equal there would..., I did not say it should be equal . But we can't continue this conversation here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Don't let to get to you - it's not worth it. There's going to be difference of opinion in any debate!

Just know that most people can sympathise, or indeed empathise with your situation.
    It's a hell of a tough time for a lot of people :(

Well done poster a little bit of empathy can be a great thing.

As oppossed to percieving people as part of some larger organisation or group you have shown the ability to consider people as individuals.

You should take pay cuts until the government can afford to pay your wages without bankrupting the country. Fairness doesn't really come into it.

The very reason I and many others didn't "take our chances with the private sector" was because of job security, better pension etc. Now thats been taken away from us.

The very reason I and many others didn't "take our chances with the private sector" was because of job security, better pension etc. Now thats been taken away from us.

http://jobs.ie/

I really have to stop now. There's no point responding to one of my PS related posts because I won't be responding to it from........now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Johnnnybravo

I reccomend you STFU.

Ive seen you post a lot of drivel in the past.

Infact most of it is derogatory to people who were genuinely let go from jobs and are now on welfare. I for one am personally absolutely ecstatic that people like you are taking cuts and the only thing that could make me happier is if you ended up having to sign on.

Many people in this country have taken a 100% cut so its only fair that people like you in steady jobs should take them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Dont employers normally try to negotiate with their worker first and resort to cutting pay last?

Perhaps public servants would have liked that consideration from their government/Employer before they anounced to the general public several months ago that they were slashing pay.
    LOL what world are you living in. In private sector there's aren't negotiations with the employee's!!

And the government met the unions, just couldn't agree on a pay deal. So in essence they did negotiate with (representatives of) their workers first and resort to cutting pay last?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

on a lighter note, anyone else this this guy sitting beside richard bruton looks like an older slightly fatter version of mathew perry?

0002d29910dr.jpg

Banned.

You had already been warned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

I love that they all get serious, point the finger and call for peoples heads when its someone else in power...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

on a lighter note, anyone else this this guy sitting beside richard bruton looks like an older slightly fatter version of mathew perry?

0002d29910dr.jpg

could the public sector...BE...any more píssed off :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Berkut wrote: »
    could the public sector...BE...any more píssed off :D

Haha excellent :)

You know, I think the weekend can't come soon enough, given today's budget. Think there's a lot of people needing a few pints!

Should be interesting to read tomorrow's papers...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Haha excellent :)

You know, I think the weekend can't come soon enough, given today's budget. Think there's a lot of people needing a few pints!

Wanna meet me after work??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What happens for existing people on jobseekers benefit, not new applicants.
    I know new applicants are fcuked but what about existing people on it? cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

I reccomend you STFU.
    I envy you. For a 7 % cut in wages, you'd have to have been on over €80,000.

If you are suck it up, you can well afford it!!

Ive seen you post a lot of drivel in the past.

Infact most of it is derogatory to people who were genuinely let go from jobs and are now on welfare. I for one am personally absolutely ecstatic that people like you are taking cuts and the only thing that could make me happier is if you ended up having to sign on.

Many people in this country have taken a 100% cut so its only fair that people like you in steady jobs should take them too.

Banned.

Hey, everyone? Remember this?:
    1. No negative generalisation about public or private service. This is very important to note as both public and private service are regular posters on boards and we don't want any insults.

Do keep it in mind.

Wanna meet me after work??;)

Take it to PM, Degsy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Plug wrote: »
    What happens for existing people on jobseekers benefit, not new applicants.
    I know new applicants are fcuked but what about existing people on it? cheers.
    anyone, dust?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Lennihan is live on RTE1 News now ..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Social welfare cuts for younger people... is that not ageism?

Advertisement