Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Social welfare cuts for younger people... is that not ageism?
    Everyone else gets cuts too if they refuse a job (I think). It's to stop people leaving secondary school...and proceeding to take a few years off and drink the dole and live in their parent's house.

(Yes, that's what not everyone does, I know).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I envy you. For a 7 % cut in wages, you'd have to have been on over €80,000.

If you are suck it up, you can well afford it!!

Far from it..read the details of the cut..i dunno where you got 80 grand from!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

What's the property tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not on social welfare and over the age, but on principle this is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

*Rant*

Fcuking stupid government. I am down nearly 100 euro a month with two kids on benefits (outside of my control).

a budget for the bleedin alcoholics, and to protect the pensioners. public service pensions not touched. people who have retired in the last five years, are getting more in their pension that what they were actually working because of benchmarking. They are left alone, and the w*nkers hit me.

Self-interested, deceitful, shower of c*nts,

can't say anymore just getting too angry. whoever starts the protests, I will be there....

*rant over*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭nouveau_4.0

Degsy wrote: »
    Far from it..read the details of the cut..i dunno where you got 80 grand from!
    Please explain it to me.

I'm getting my info from rte.ie
    There will be pay cuts across the public sector from 1 January, starting at 5% on the first €30,000 of salary. There will be cuts of 7.5% on the next €40,000 and 10% on the next €55,000 after that.

By doing a bit of maths if you were on €80,000 it'd be less than a 7% cut.
    5% x 30,000 = 1,500
    7.5% x 40,000 = 3,000
    10% x 10,000 = 1,000

Total 5,500 reduction = 6.875% reduction.

Care to correct me, or retract you sensationalist claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

kowloon wrote: »
    Not on social welfare and over the age, but on principle this is wrong.

same here... but i dont see how a chap 21 coulnt be in the same position as a 28 year old...

bunch of incompetant idiots.

cowen has some neck..... ..sooner its on the block the better

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

Eamon Gilmore is an arsehole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

No, its Fianna Fail saying bog off and emigrate. I have many friends emigrating and considering emigrating. Youth unemployment is over 25% for under 25's. The conditions now are making the nations young be either left or right on the political spectrum. This means the young are either going to vote FG or Labour. FF are getting a pasting.

Notice how the pensions were not cut. Old people always vote and mostly vote FF. Young people cannot vote if they are working abroad.

I will not leave, even though the government do not want me or my generation here. I believe this country is worth fighting for. The fight begins by destroying Fianna Fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I got this from the budget summary online(gov.ie) and am confused:
    .New maximum personal rates of Jobseeker’s Allowance and basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance will be introduced for new applicants aged 20 to 24 inclusive. The new rate will be €100 per week for new applicants aged 20 to 21 and €150 per week for new applicants aged 22 to 24. The Qualified Adult rate applicable to Jobseeker’s Allowance/basic Supplementary Welfare Allowance applicants aged 20 and 21 will also be €100 per week and for those applicants aged 22, 23 and 24 will be €130.10 per week. These rate reductions will not apply to claimants with dependant children.

I didn't hear this in the news.
    I was under the impression that 22-25 year olds would be retaining 196 euro if already receiving JS allowance.(and that this would be cut to 150 for new applicants.

Does anybody understand what this 130.10 per week is about? As I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

Overall I think he did the best he could in the circumstances. There is no endless pot of money to pay social welfare and public pay at the same levels indefinitely. If he didnt cut now it would be a lot worse in two years. Inflation has been coming down rapidly, prices are definitely lower in the shops, particularly for food. Cutting social welfare is a hard decision but the rate is still three times higher than in the UK, I dont hear anyone saying that prices are 3 times higher there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

60 cent off my weekly bottle of Buckfast. Savage. That'll save me over €30 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Ya overall it was the budget that had to be made whether people like it or not. If he hadnt cut welfare and public sector pay we were gone. Luckily he proceeded with the cuts rather than having the economy going bust next year. People forget we are living in an era of deflation and recession and we cannot live in the past. He didnt touch any main tax rates which was also good news so all in all well done.

PS if there are any trade union heads out there plotting protests or strikes, forget about it, there is absolutely no sympathy for it and it will only cause grieve and I work in the public sector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

60 cent off my weekly bottle of Buckfast. Savage. That'll save me over €30 a year.

Wow.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

It will be interesting to see when the pubs drop their prices and by how much (if at all).

Warper wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see when the pubs drop their prices and by how much (if at all).

Its a disgrace asking p ubs to drop a pint 12 cents..they'll only ramp up the prices before it comes into effect.
    What the fat buffoon should've done was made them drop by 12 % per pint..thatd sort out the expensive kips.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wow.:rolleyes:

And what's wrong with an optimist attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

ShooterSF wrote: »
    And what's wrong with an optimist attitude?

Optimism looks ugly when viewed from a high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

As someone not on benefits or in the public sector that could have been much worse. The 200k levy on people earning over a million (in addition to the normal levels of tax they pay already) seems a bit excessive - otherwise more or less as expected. I would have gone further and removed child benefit for people over a certain income, also means tested medical cards etc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Feckin old people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm confused that I'm not losing anything with this budget. In fact, due to the decrease in alcohol, I think I stand to make a profit.

Why would the government do something nice for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You're over 65 and they're afraid of you?

humanji wrote: »
    I'm confused that I'm not losing anything with this budget. In fact, due to the decrease in alcohol, I thionk I stand to make a profit.

Why would the government do something nice for me?

They're just lulling you into a false sense of security before they absolutely shaft you next year, Just you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

From listening to the 'lashback' from various meeja outlets over the last few hours it does seem that nobody can find any cataclysmic faults so far (unlike the medical card joke). The budget anarchists are not liking it one bit I can assume...

Anyway I dont think that it deserves to be lambasted, I feel that it's a good budget...there was a tangible focus on targeting the high earners, alcohol was reduced, scrappage scheme coming so there was a little 'sugar to taste' in there.

Public sector pay could not be avoided under any circumstances, regretfully it is that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

kowloon wrote: »
    They're just lulling you into a false sense of security before they absolutely shaft you next year, Just you.
    Damn it, it's just like church.

Warper wrote: »

PS if there are any trade union heads out there plotting protests or strikes, forget about it, there is absolutely no sympathy for it and it will only cause grieve and I work in the public sector.

I actually agree with ya..the govt have fcucked things up royally but hopefully we wont have to go through this crap again in the next budget.
    If we do it wont be strikes it'll be riots.

Degsy wrote: »
    I actually agree with ya..the govt have fcucked things up royally but hopefully we wont have to go through this crap again in the next budget.
    If we do it wont be strikes it'll be riots.

So that's what yer collecting the bottles for ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Is anyone going to fill up their cars before midnight?

My local station will be jammers I imagine. Am I the only one who can't be arsed?? A once off saving of a euro or two.

Mad_Max wrote: »

My local station will be jammers I imagine. Am I the only one who can't be arsed?? A once off saving of a euro or two.

If you keep a load of it for a generator or the likes you might save enough to make it worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Mad_Max wrote: »

That would be the epitome of stupidity. Driving all the way to a petrol station just to fill up your car before it goes up in price by 3c a litre.

Advertisement