Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

kowloon wrote: »
    If you keep a load of it for a generator or the likes you might save enough to make it worthwhile.

Not sure how comfortable I would be storing gallons of petrol tbh. Just went by the local station there, yep as suspected, Queues.

I'm not sure what my car holds maybe 60 litres, so to fill it up from the bottom I'd say 2euro.. not worth the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,825 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Mad_Max wrote: »
    Not sure how comfortable I would be storing gallons of petrol tbh. Just went by the local station there, yep as suspected, Queues.
    I'm not sure what my car holds maybe 60 litres, so to fill it up from the bottom I'd say 2euro.. not worth the journey.

but you had already made the journey:confused:

but you had already made the journey:confused:
    Just went by the local station there

If you must know I was going to stock up on booze before the price goes down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Public sector now planning more strikes:

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-sector-workers-threaten-strike-after-tough-budget-437658.html

Somebody please take Peter McClown aside and beat some sense into his thick head please.

For the next round of public sector strikes may I recommend the Private sector workers who are as sick to death of this **** as I am read the following:

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2009/1209/1224260356240.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DarkJager wrote: »
    Public sector now planning more strikes

AND Mad Max is stockpiling petrol. Here we go !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Warfi

From listening to the 'lashback' from various meeja outlets over the last few hours it does seem that nobody can find any cataclysmic faults so far (unlike the medical card joke). The budget anarchists are not liking it one bit I can assume...

Anyway I dont think that it deserves to be lambasted, I feel that it's a good budget...there was a tangible focus on targeting the high earners, alcohol was reduced, scrappage scheme coming so there was a little 'sugar to taste' in there.

Public sector pay could not be avoided under any circumstances, regretfully it is that simple.

+1

I think Brian Cowen is doing a good job....it takes a tough man to make unpopular decisions. He might go down in history as the man who got Ireland out of a crippliing recession. (fingers crossed :))

In contrast, I hope Bertie Ahern is remembered for being the only finance minister to not have a bank account (even I had a Henry Hippo savers account with Ulster Bank in those days!).....a man who allowed an expensive tribunal to go ahead instead of admitting that he accepted money when in office does not deserve to be fondly remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Driving to the station will cost any savings you make.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Morlar wrote: »
    AND Mad Max is stockpiling petrol. Here we go !

I fucking knew moderating the thunderdome would pay off sooner or later.

I fucking knew moderating the thunderdome would pay off sooner or later.

We just need a Tina Turner. I wonder if there's any on BenDunne.com :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

probably hasnt been mentioned here:

"The monthly threshold for the Drugs Payment Scheme is being increased from €100 to €120."

Charming. So if you earn too much to get a medical card, but you need expensive drugs, you pay another 20 euros/month more for those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Warfi wrote: »
    +1

I think Brian Cowen is doing a good job....it takes a tough man to make unpopular decisions. He might go down in history as the man who got Ireland out of a crippliing recession. (fingers crossed :))

In contrast, I hope Bertie Ahern is remembered for being the only finance minister to not have a bank account (even I had a Henry Hippo savers account with Ulster Bank in those days!).....a man who allowed an expensive tribunal to go ahead instead of admitting that he accepted money when in office does not deserve to be fondly remembered.

Whoa!! I did not intend on my post to show praise to Cowen and co. They are making a dogs dinner of this country. As I have said before, I think Lenihen as a man is quite likable, he answers questions directly and is doing quite a good job (in his role) all things considered, theres not many backbenchers that would gladly step forward and relieve him of the role. This budget is good considering the constraints that are attached but given the choice I'd much prefer to see another party in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

this country is too soft, they only slashed the dole by €8, so slackers still get a tidy €196 for doing sweet FA.....it should have been slashed by €80 bye right make them get up off their arses and do something!! even community work anything, instead of money for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Public Sector getting battered very unfairly in my view and btw before i get accused of bias im not in the sector. The argument claimed by people let go from a job is that they must get in line with other countries but if thats the case shouldnt there unemployement benefit be brought in line too eg with N.I bit hypocritical of them but i wouldnt wish that on them either as it would be the end of many families....instead of the public vs private debate we should support our neighbours families friends and ensure we all the come out the right side...off now to watch vinnie brown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Obviously, this Budget was bad news for nearly everyone concerned, but what the question means is overall; do you think this is a good Budget for the country long-term? Will the measures taken now result in economic recovery? Or are they not nearly effective enough?

In other words, will people in years to come look back on this Budget and say "that was the beginning of the recovery", or "that was a monumental cock-up"..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

EDIT: Ah, doesnt matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭Takk

Obviously, this Budget was bad news for nearly everyone concerned, but what the question means is overall; do you think this is a good Budget for the country long-term? Will the measures taken now result in economic recovery? Or are they not nearly effective enough?

In other words, will people in years to come look back on this Budget and say "that was the beginning of the recovery", or "that was a monumental cock-up"..?

Nevermind the budget. You have bigger things to focus on right now. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Good move mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

do you think this is a good Budget for the country long-term? Will the measures taken now result in economic recovery? Or are they not nearly effective enough

No, not really. This budget tinkered around with the edges rather than properly tackling the crisis we're in. Given that we've had roughly 4% deflation over the past year, the cuts in social welfare are not even cuts in real, inflation-adjusted terms at all. The freeze in the state pension actually represents a 4% rise in real terms! Given that welfare expenditure increased completely and utterly out of proportion of the cost of living over the past ten years, a proper cut shouldn't be completely out of bounds, and would do much to bring down the exchequer borrowing requirement. The spiralling national debt is going to be a seriously major problem for us in years to come, and it only makes sense to try to reduce borrowing by as much as is realistically feasible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Poll should be public imo

I think that all things considered, the budget was a fair and founded one. We all knew that cuts were imminent across the board, if anyones still crying then tough

Cowen may not be perfect but he's proved over the last few weeks that he can call the tough decisions when he needs to, and not pander to everyone at once

Social welfare is down a good bit, the PS have made sacrafices and even the man in charge has taken a big hit to his salary

The only worrying thing really is the fact that students are hit hard, with the threat of a miniscule welfare package if they can't find work after graduating, more than anything else... that's gonna make alot more people emigrate in the short term, so the 'Smart Economy' plan is half fcuked already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Cowen may not be perfect but he's proved over the last few weeks that he can call the tough decisions when he needs to, and not pander to everyone at once

Well that's debatable, if you believe the media it is only a split in the cabinet, an angry ff backbencher meeting plus public reaction that caused him to reluctantly to break off talks with the unions.

• Advertisement

lol was just watching Vincent Browne there and some aulwan said that she knows another aulwan and this aulwan gets 280 a week welfare for her and her sprogs.

The aulwan talking then gave the other aulwan's budget breakdown and she concluded that the aulwan was spending 70euro a week on rent and utilities (although the maths were actually closer to 100 :rolleyes: ) and the rest.. 'she puts away'.

So basically what I was getting from this aulwan is that the other aulwan can only save 180 a week and the budget will hit this.

I always knew them aulwans were minted. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Hmmmm ... aulwanomics ?

Maybe this is the just what we need ... forget fiscal policy, we should get an aul' vinyl shopping bag (fer d'messages) and do the nine first fridays ... worth a shot.

lol was just watching Vincent Browne there and some aulwan said that she knows another aulwan and this aulwan gets 280 a week welfare for her and her sprogs.

The aulwan talking then gave the other aulwan's budget breakdown and she concluded that the aulwan was spending 70euro a week on rent and utilities (although the maths were actually closer to 100 :rolleyes: ) and the rest.. 'she puts away'.

So basically what I was getting from this aulwan is that the other aulwan can only save 180 a week and the budget will hit this.

I always knew them aulwans were minted. :p

Happy 1k.. You now have to use "aulwan" in every post you make till you hit 2k.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Worst budget in years they're saying. I only really read up on a couple of things, the jobseekers allowance reduction and.....

Drink is going to be a little bit cheaper!!!! Surely something to be positive about on a day of such bad news:D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I am very thankful for the lack of the atari jaguar based pun option in the poll.
    Public-sector workers tonight threatened crippling strike action after bearing the brunt of the toughest Budget in the country’s history.

In a much-feared €4bn cost-cutting package, severe pay cuts were imposed which angry union leaders said targeted middle earners.
    Fine Gael deputy leader Richard Bruton said: “You have hit people who are down. The hitting of child payments is very short-sighted.”

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-sector-workers-threaten-strike-after-tough-budget-437658.html#ixzz0ZF5EShY5
    From http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/public-sector-workers-threaten-strike-after-tough-budget-437658.html#ixzz0ZF4oUBYb
    It looks like Fine Gael are going to let the unions fight their own fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dylano_k wrote: »
    Worst budget in years they're saying. I only really read up on a couple of things, the jobseekers allowance reduction and.....

Drink is going to be a little bit cheaper!!!! Surely something to be positive about on a day of such bad news:D

Buy 49 pints get one free. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

That_Guy wrote: »
    Buy 49 pints get one free. :rolleyes:

I can drink my social welfare when the the loss of the college grant next year prevents me from upskilling.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I can drink my social welfare when the the loss of the college grant next year prevents me from upskilling.

They do this now? "I'd like my social welfare liquidated please in a tall glass with a little umbrella"

Sounds like heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I'd just like to congratulate FF on shooting themselves in the foot.

~13c a drink and ~5c on a litre of fuel evens out.
    Those living outside of walking distance of pubs will end up paying more for a taxi.
    You hit the poorest of the poor and have forced them to pay for your own mistakes.

BIFFO, congratulations on sacrificing 5% of your pay. You really have done so much for this country, you fat ****ing bastard.

Harney, your pre-budget hit on disabled people with the 50c per item charge on prescription medication has really endeared you to the common people of this land.

Here's to the next election when the private sector workers, publicans and farmers re-elect you all.

****, the lot of you. Especially you, Lenihan.
    Talk about being out of touch.

A 27% lower tax rate, with no tax credits, got this country to where it was in the good times. Ignoring that just to get the private sector votes just shows how ****ing selfish you bastards are.

It sickens me that you will get away with this **** by appealing to the private sector and it sickens me more that the private sector fall for your bull**** every time.

How many people do you know who have been laid off by private sector companies over the last few years? Yet you still support the FF agenda.
    I really don't know how you people are still alive. I mean, if you are so stupid as to fall for FF bull****, I really can't understand how you remember how to breathe.

Private sector workers; you complain about you tax going to public sector workers.
    They pay tax too.
    It's all eaten up by the bank you work for, so you are actually just giving it back to your employers anyway.

for all of you who complained about unemployed people spending their dole on beer, how do you feel about your darling FF lowering the price of a pint?
    This just lures more of those dastardly unemployed people to the pub.

I'm sitting here laughing at how so many of you complained about my supposed promotion of he Lisbon treaty.
    You have all been hit in one way or another by our government and so many of you who whined about Lisbon are praising the budget.

Hee haw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

fryup wrote: »
    this country is too soft, they only slashed the dole by €8, so slackers still get a tidy €196 for doing sweet FA.....it should have been slashed by €80 bye right make them get up off their arses and do something!! even community work anything, instead of money for nothing

Yeah, cos every person on the dole is a sponger.

Think harder, post better.

Advertisement