Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The official AH budget discussion thread (Rules/useful links in first post)

Options
1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Mad_Max

Terry wrote: »
    Here's to the next election when the private sector workers, publicans and farmers re-elect you all.

I would eat my hat and many other items of clothing if FF get re-elected. Not one of the sectors you mentioned as a whole support this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

cheers for that lads that .5% drop in VAT should mean it's at least the second week in feb when I lose my job in retail....KUDOS

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Mad_Max wrote: »
    I would eat my hat and many other items of clothing if FF get re-elected. Not one of the sectors you mentioned as a whole support this government.
    €50 to the SSF after the next election if FF get elected.

I vote Labour. Always have done and possibly always will.
    You can join me in the voting booth for evidence if you so choose, but I guarantee that FF get in again.

€50 to the SSF after the next election if FF get elected.
    Not sure if you're making that pledge or you want me to but either way I'll go for that. Worst comes to worst at least some kids get some presents.
    I vote Labour. Always have done and possibly always will.
    You can join me in the voting booth for evidence if you so choose, but I guarantee that FF get in again.

well I've never voted FF either. I don't tie myself to a party though but FF is and has been out of my possibles for quite a long time.

I wouldn't guarantee any result but If I was betting on the outcome I'd be betting on anyone bar FF, they've pissed way too many people too often for it to be forgotten.

Not sure if you're making that pledge or you want me to but either way I'll go for that. Worst comes to worst at least some kids get some presents.

well I've never voted FF either. I don't tie myself to a party though but FF is and has been out of my possibles for quite a long time.

I wouldn't guarantee any result but If I was betting on the outcome I'd be betting on anyone bar FF, they've pissed way too many people too often for it to be forgotten.
    The €50 was me saying that FF ger re-elected.
    I do guarantee it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I wouldn't bet on FF being part of the next government either. I'd be shocked if they were. Paddy Power odds here.
    **Applies to the next Government formed AFTER the Next General Election (expected in 2012) in the 31st Dáil. Does not include a caretaker Government.

FG/Lab 2/5 FF/SF 20/1 FF Minority Government 33/1 FF/Lab 9/2 FF/Green 22/1 Lab/SF/Green 33/1 FG/Lab/Green 6/1 FG/Lab/SF 22/1 FG/SF 40/1 FG Minority Government 10/1 FG/Green 25/1 FG/FF 40/1 FF/Green/SF 16/1 FG Majority Government 28/1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

time to let anglo and all our other mickey mouse finanical institutions/banks go to the wall,let the IMF bang down the Doors if they want,if they fancy shaking up the entire irish banking system?? F£$k it! go for it!

I'm stick of this,our government are like ten years old at the controls of Concorde,and folks all the parachutes are up front for the old boys club

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I wouldn't bet on FF being part of the next government either. I'd be shocked if they were. Paddy Power odds here.
    Bookies are in existence because they make money from losing bets.
    Most bets are losing bets.

If I had the financial backing, I'd offer the opposite of all those odds and still make money.

<Ollie> wrote: »

20/1, 33/1, 22/1, 40/1

Jesus savage money to be made if Terry is correct. We could pull ourselves out of the recession at the expense of the bookies!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

No, its Fianna Fail saying bog off and emigrate. I have many friends emigrating and considering emigrating. Youth unemployment is over 25% for under 25's. The conditions now are making the nations young be either left or right on the political spectrum. This means the young are either going to vote FG or Labour. FF are getting a pasting.

Notice how the pensions were not cut. Old people always vote and mostly vote FF. Young people cannot vote if they are working abroad.

I will not leave, even though the government do not want me or my generation here. I believe this country is worth fighting for. The fight begins by destroying Fianna Fail.

Can i give you a double thanks because you hit the nail on the head there buddy.

• Advertisement

Just listening to liveline and the spokesman from tesco says they are reducing wine prices by 15% from today:D, is a petty im in Aus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Some might say your a Traitor shopping in Tesco...

Not me how ever, i love the place and there low low prices and Tiger Bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Jonjo praising Tesco? The world has gone mad.

Some might say your a Traitor shopping in Tesco...

Not me how ever, i love the place and there low low prices and Tiger Bread.

:D:D Oh i hate Tesco but i was just using that as a example of hoe prices of wine are going down, tiger bread:( oh never again.

phasers wrote: »
    Jonjo praising Tesco? The world has gone mad.

Jonjo is in Aus and is drunk and its 2.00am, how can i ever live this down i meant supervalu not tesco:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, there was no mention of 3rd level fees or inreasing the Registration fee. Cam amyone confirm this? Does this mean it's off the table?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Jay P wrote: »
    I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, there was no mention of 3rd level fees or inreasing the Registration fee. Cam amyone confirm this? Does this mean it's off the table?

I just heard Batt O'keefe on the radio saying there is no increase in any of the fees, but there is a 5% reduction in grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    this country is too soft, they only slashed the dole by €8, so slackers still get a tidy €196 for doing sweet FA.....it should have been slashed by €80 bye right make them get up off their arses and do something!! even community work anything, instead of money for nothing
    Yeah, cos every person on the dole is a sponger.

Think harder, post better.

no, not everyone....but alot are

such as my nextdoor neighbour who's been on the dole for two years now, fit as a fiddle nothing wrong with him, but lazy as f&ck!!

he gets the jobseekers allowance, jobseeker:rolleyes: don't make me laugh he hasn't been to an interview in the past two years, spends most his time in the local bookies.

If you're unwell or handicapped, well then by all means you should get social welfare, but if your fit for work well then you should be doing something...build new prisons, new hospitals, new schools, new roads etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

fryup wrote: »
    no, not everyone....but alot are

such as my nextdoor neighbour who's been on the dole for two years now, fit as a fiddle nothing wrong with him, but lazy as f&ck!!

he gets the jobseekers allowance, jobseeker:rolleyes: don't make me laugh he hasn't been to an interview in the past two years, spends most his time in the local bookies.

If you're unwell or handicapped, well then by all means you should get social welfare, but if your fit for work well then you should be doing something...build new prisons, new hospitals, new schools, new roads etc

Why don't you rat him up then? If the issue is so detestable to you..

This attitude that people have really annoys me, you'll moan and groan about what's wrong with the country but you're not willing to help put an end to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Jay P

deadhead13 wrote: »
    I just heard Batt O'keefe on the radio saying there is no increase in any of the fees, but there is a 5% reduction in grants.

That's good to hear, for me at least. I couldn't really afford anything higher than it already is.

I can see the grant reduction being a bit of an issue for people though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

Why don't you rat him up then? If the issue is so detestable to you..

This attitude that people have really annoys me, you'll moan and groan about what's wrong with the country but you're not willing to help put an end to it

Rat him up for what? He is entitled to job seekers allowence and thats the problem. He shouldnt be. All he has to do is going into a few shops every now andn then and get them to sign a form saying he went in and asked for a job as far as I know.

He should be made work for his dole money. Painting over graffiti or cutting the grass at public football pitches or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

Theta wrote: »
    He should be made work for his dole money. Painting over graffiti or cutting the grass at public football pitches or something.

so if he is made to cut the grass then what happens to the guy who is currently employed to cut the grass? he will no longer be needed and will be laid off and go on the dole.

someone else said they should be made to build prisons etc. the builders would be up in arms at that cos the goverment would be taking away jobs that should go to the builders. the same appies to any job you can think of that the dole "spongers" could do.

plus where will the goverment get the money to build said prison? and isn't there a law that states the contract for building would have o go to tender across europe?

its not as easy as it seems to get people to work for thier dole. the big question in my mind is why the goverment did not address the issue of dole "spongers" while the country was in a boom and there were jobs for everybody.
    that was the time to get them off the dole. not now,when there are no jobs around.

(i'm working btw but i know many who are not)

/rant over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

soups05 wrote: »
    its not as easy as it seems to get people to work for thier dole. the big question in my mind is why the goverment did not address the issue of dole "spongers" while the country was in a boom and there were jobs for everybody.
    that was the time to get them off the dole. not now,when there are no jobs around.

(i'm working btw but i know many who are not)

/rant over
    There weren't that many long-termers on the dole during the boom, people really need to get their heads around this. The vast majority of the faces ya see outside the same pubs and bookies day in day out are on the sick. But the government can't go after the "sick".;)

And just so we're clear I'm not saying that most people on the sick are just lazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭soups05

I'm sorry but i don't get that ;). if they are on the sick then they must be able to prove they are sick yes?

it can't be that easy to fool a doctor into beliving you are unable to work. I know that my own doctor has sent me to work with a trapped nerve, and another time with a pulled back muscle. so surely anyone on the sick is...well....sick. maybe i am just too innocent for this cruel world.

(also i just remembered this is a thread about the budget, sorry mods)

runs :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You are a bit innocent alright. If a doctor signs off on a "not-so-sick sickie", he gets return business....as the customer knows he can trust his doctor. Back scratching and all that. It's nothing new.

Most people on the dole, need it. It's always the people currently employed who bitch and moan and act bitter because they have to get up for work in the morning. Thing is, most people would love to be in their position of "having to get up" every morning.

Advertisement