Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recomend a camera?

• 08-12-2009 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I have always had an interest in photography but have never got around to exploring it. With Christmas coming up I figured the time is right to get a camera and give it a go and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent, relatively cheap camera for a complete beginner. Thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

What's your budget? Are you looking to get a DSLR or a Bridge Camera?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Well I know very little... what would you recommend for a beginner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

if you know very little then maybe you should consider getting a bridge camera ...or maybe some books first and learn about photography....dont want that to sound all high horsie type.

books/photography course
    camera

or read the loads and loads of articles online about photography and how to take a photograph, or read about the various different types of camera available.

what do you want to take pics of ? ..... if its sport you will need to get a DSLR and a decent size lens, if its just social/family pics a bridge or DSLR would suit better.

Well the type of thing I would be thinking of photographing would be more along the lines of scenery, tourist attractions and that type of thing. Just in general a decent camera for some amateur pics.
    And as for budget, well I am a student so the cheaper the better. Im planning on a trip this summer, to either Italy or Greece so thats what I want it for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

I had a bridge camera before I took the plunge to DSLR, a Kodak Z710 ; It got me used to manual settings like aparture ISO shutter speed etc. Got a Canon 350D earlier this year and delighted with it, but still very much a beginner.

I guess it depends on whether you want to jump straight into DSLRs or not - An entry level DSLR with a kit lens like mine will not break the bank, but I'm looking at Lenses at the moment, and trying to balance quality with price is headwrecking

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies I guys, I really appreciate your help in this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I wouldn't recommend just getting a book without having a camera to practise with at the same time. That kind of reminds me of when Phoebe was teaching Joey the guitar in Friends............ anyone? Obscure reference I know :D

Anyway, a bridge camera might be ideal for you, which is somewhere between a compact and a DSLR. I started off with something like this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/SonyDSCHX1/ (an earlier model, much lower spec) and I got some photos like this:

2583193253_c4bce3e5be.jpg

Of course, location helps too;)
    Post processing is a big part as well, the vast majority of photos on this forum (and the world) have been through some image manipulation program or another. Picassa would be a good one to start off on, and it's free!

I think I underestimated how much this would cost. I had hopes of around the 300 mark but that sure as hell doesn't seem likely. So guys should I go raid a post office or should I just stick with a point and click in my price range?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

I'd say you should be able to find a bridge camera in that price range. I'd recommend getting one that can capture in RAW as well as Jpeg format. It'll come in handy if you get into the post processing side of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There are plenty of bridge cameras in your price range. The Panasonic DMC-FZ38 below is quite decently priced on Pixmania. Great image quality, Raw support and lots of other stuff too. It scored 10/10 on Trusted Reviews when it first came out. Now while it's silly to award it 10/10 it does give you an idea of how highly regarded Panasonic's super zooms are.

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3439352/art/panasonic/dmc-fz38-black.html

http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/07/28/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38/p1

• Advertisement

I was talking to a friend who dabbles in photography and he said that Kodak were the brand to avoid. He reccomended these:

1.http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/03/28/Fujifilm-FinePix-S5800/p1
    2.http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2009/05/19/Fujifilm-FinePix-S1500/p2
    3.http://www.trustedreviews.com/digital-cameras/review/2008/10/24/Fujifilm-FinePix-S2000HD/p1
    What you guys think? And once again thanks for the help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I have the first one, it's a nice camera you have lots of auto and scene settings for starting out but can control shutter time and other settings for when you learn more about photography, also the 10x optical zoom is brilliant, has a great macro mode setting too, i've taken nice enough photos with mine and i gotta say i am totally amateur

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

There is a Sticky Thread at the top of the page which should give you some good advice.

I too would suggest starting out with a Bridge Camera. You get a lot of value for money with them. The Fuji Bridge Cameras are generally very good.

Right guys I have narrowed it down to two. Could you guys take a look and see if you think these are good deals and which one would you recommend? IS this a good site and what is their delivery time like? Thanks for being so patient and helpful :)
    1.http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-fuji-finepix-s2000hd-black-compact-camera-with-hd-s2-kit/p1028174
    2.http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-fuji-finepix-s1500-compact-digital-camera/p1030834

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you want to just shoot Jpeg then either of those are fine. Personally I would go for something like the Fuji FinePix S200EXR as it has RAW. This extends the capabilities by a huge margin & will allow you to explore more options of processing your images.

CabanSail wrote: »
    If you want to just shoot Jpeg then either of those are fine. Personally I would go for something like the Fuji FinePix S200EXR as it has RAW. This extends the capabilities by a huge margin & will allow you to explore more options of processing your images.
    So am I right in saying that both are pretty much the same with the exception that the dearer one has HD video? Is that worth the extra 40 quid? I know it sounds a small amount of money but ima dirt poor :(

I have not looked at the Video Specs as I am interested in Photography.

The S200EXR will take RAW images whereas the other two are limited to Jpeg. RAW is where you record all the data from the sensor, in Jpeg the camera does the processing for you and dicards the rest of the data.

CabanSail wrote: »
    I have not looked at the Video Specs as I am interested in Photography.

The S200EXR will take RAW images whereas the other two are limited to Jpeg. RAW is where you record all the data from the sensor, in Jpeg the camera does the processing for you and dicards the rest of the data.
    woooosh! That went over my head :) Ok so RAW is better than jpeg...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Hey guys, I have always had an interest in photography but have never got around to exploring it. With Christmas coming up I figured the time is right to get a camera and give it a go and was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent, relatively cheap camera for a complete beginner. Thanks :)

My sister has the Panasonic Lumix ?? camera and I've seen some amazing shots taken with it (I know the photographer is important too). It just seems to be able to capture the most intricate details of objects and she is always discovering new features of the camera. I think she bought it for around 300e and I'm saving up for one myself. I definitely rate it well above any reasonably priced camera I've seen before.

woooosh! That went over my head :) Ok so RAW is better than jpeg...

If you do want to explore Photography then yes, having RAW is better as it gives you a lot more options when editing images. If you will just be taking the photo's straight from the camera then save the money & stick to Jpeg.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Don't forget to have a look here at adverts.ie - always a bargain to be had.

Don't forget to have a look here at adverts.ie - always a bargain to be had.
    I not too keen on going second hand, thanks though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭cozski

Get this... or a new version of it... you will not be disappointed

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0608/06082412fujis9600.asp

For staright P&S compact but with superb functionality get this

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default.asp?newsID=3217&review=samsung+nv15

Both can be obtained for great prices

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I not too keen on going second hand, thanks though :)

I understand, but don't rule it out completely. Don't forget, as soon as you open the packaging on a new camera, it's secondhand.

From your original post :
    was wondering if anyone could recommend a decent, relatively cheap camera
    - you could possibly pick up exactly what you want - something cheap and half decent.

Good luck with whatever you decide and most of all, enjoy the photography.

Advertisement