Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Life in Westmeath - Any Advice?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

That's fantastic! Again I won't advise on where to go in Athlone but enjoy, if you want any help with anything West of Athlone then I can help!

You're lucky you don't live downtown or i'd nearly be begging you to go to the Eaton Centre to pick up a few things for me, I have no morals when it comes to shopping, ha!

Enjoy, hope you like it here, bring umbrella!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

That's good news, enjoy your stay in Athlone, when you have a good company behind you it really helps if you have to move to an unfamiliar town.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭martin1

PorCan Guy wrote: »
    Care to explain further? I wonder if you'd say the same if you knew what it was like where I live now? Also, I would not be considering this move if it were not for a lucrative enough opportunity...what I'm being offered salary-wise is much, much higher than I would get offered in Canada without another 10 years of experience.

Hence, a comment such as this really does not have much value...unless you explain...

OK so maybe I had Ireland more in mind than Athlone when I made above comment.

What I mean is ...........if you were offered an very nice well paid position as...say.........captain of the Titanic, would you take it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

I'm curious... you wouldn't be joining Georgia Tech by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PorCan Guy

martin1 wrote: »
    OK so maybe I had Ireland more in mind than Athlone when I made above comment.

What I mean is ...........if you were offered an very nice well paid position as...say.........captain of the Titanic, would you take it?

Well, that's a bit better...but I doubt Ireland is in that rough a shape. Yes, we've all been impacted by the economy woes, no doubt, but things have started to turn around. In Canada things at a consumer level have started to improve. It may take a little time still, but eventually things will improve as well in Ireland when it comes to economy.

• Advertisement

Onikage wrote: »
    I'm curious... you wouldn't be joining Georgia Tech by any chance?

Nope...although my understanding is that I would be working right next door. Teleflex Medical...a global company that manufactures just about everything you can think of that hospitals and doctors use during surgeries and patient care. (ie. catheters, masks, anasthesia delivery equipment, etc.).

The company has some 45,000 employees worldwide. Athlone, Ireland is their Europe, Middle East, Africa headquarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

Ah, ok. Congratulations and best of luck with the new job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 denmcn

Seaneh wrote: »
    There are two very good schoolboy teams in town, St. Francis and Willow Park.

I think you'll find there are quite a few good schoolboy teams in the town - Francis and Willow just THINK they are the only two;)

Best of luck with your new job - Teleflex are a good company to work for.

D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭jamesd

denmcn wrote: »

Best of luck with your new job - Teleflex are a good company to work for.

D

They seem a very nice company - i had interviews with them 2 years ago for an IT position and they seemed like a good company to go with but the international travelling put me off.

Thanks for info everyone. I am currently in Athlone (!)...starting to explore. Going to check some properties both in town as well as in Mullingar and some other areas.

Thanks for the info on Teleflex...thay seem pretty solid, but I'll find out more tomorrow and Tuesday when I'll actually be on site with them.

Jamesd, what position did you interview for? Travel is involved for myself as well, but I'm all for it at my stage in my career.

Talk to everyone soon, and who knows, I just might pass by you out on the town...I'm trying not to stand out too much as a foreigner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Personally i don't think mullingar has much to offer. The road from mullingar to Athlone is not great. Wouldn't fancy it 5 days a week.

Thanks for the info...I agree with you. I wasn't too pleased with the fact that it took me nearly an hour to get to Mullingar, mostly due to the road.

I did go up to Roscommons on the N61, the drive was nice, but also not a place I could see myself settling. The communities around Athlone Golf Club were nice...that area is a candidate.

I would like to go to Ballinsloe. Can someone tell me if it is County Galway or County Roscommons? I'm getting mixed messages. Thanks!

I also spent some hours at the Athlone Town Center...very nice mall. My wife would be right at home there! Also went to Golden Island...that was decent as well, but crazy busy, especially in the parking lot. I was impressed with TESCO.

I'm beginning to get used to driving on the "wrong" side of the car and road - it's been an adventure. However, I've managed to not receive any birdies or horns so far! I guess the big rental car sticker on the back helps indentify me as a foreigner, so maybe there's a little more patience with other drivers.

Can anyone tell me approximately how much the bills would be for utilities (electricity, gas, water, etc.). Obviously I wouldn't be powering a 5000 square meter home...for your average family home. Just to give me an idea. So far, I think the only thing I've found to be significantly more expense than in Canada is the fuel. It looks like it's nearly double the price here for a liter.

There's also a very strong smoky smell that caught me by surprise in Athlone, especially at night. I'm assuming that is simply because so many people here use wood burning to warm their homes, and so that smell is simply wood burning...can someone confirm for me?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭superdog

Thanks for the info...I agree with you. I wasn't too pleased with the fact that it took me nearly an hour to get to Mullingar, mostly due to the road.

I did go up to Roscommons on the N61, the drive was nice, but also not a place I could see myself settling. The communities around Athlone Golf Club were nice...that area is a candidate.

I would like to go to Ballinsloe. Can someone tell me if it is County Galway or County Roscommons? I'm getting mixed messages. Thanks!

Ballinasloe is in Galway but you go through County Roscommon to get there. The western side of the river in Athlone in county Roscommon. Good luck with your move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

I'd say the smell you are refering to is the smell of people burning briquettes. They are made of peat and are a very common fuel for open fires and stoves in Ireland.

As for locations. I drive up and down from Mullingar to Athlone via the old road very reguarly... not a fun drive and it still takes 35min even when going bang on the speed limit. I personally think Athlone has as much to offer, if not far more, than any other town in the midlands... so why impose an awkward commute on yourself when you have no reason not to live within 5/10min of your work place?

Bills vary widely for different peoples use types. Landline Phone / Broadband packages are around €40 a month depending on spec. Digital TV would be close to that price level also. Energy costs vary depending on whether your heating system is Oil/Gas or electricity based (storage heaters etc.). Typical sort of bill for two months for an average house could be anywhere from €100 to €200 or more... really varies widely. Options for electircity are ESB, Bord Gais and Airtricity. The later two are about 10% or so cheaper than the incumbant ESB.

As for driving. If you do plan a little bit of commuting, buy a good diesel car as the difference in running costs can be dramatic. The fuel itself is 10% cheaper than petrol and then your MPG should be 25% or so better also. Also note that we pay road tax each year on our cars. For 2008+ models this tax is based on CO2 emmissions. It can vary from just over a €100 to over a €1,000 a year... so again a diesel can make a lot of sense.

Thanks CGorman. That's some excellent info you've provided. I know that in Portugal (where my family hails from, and where my EU citizenship is based) most people drive diesels for the very same reasons. I'm currently driving a VW Jetta 2.0 gas and have gone through nearly a quarter tank on only 200 km. I find I can't drive the car as economically around town because of all the stops and starts, and tight roads requiring you to keep the car in lower gear.

I would definetly consider a diesel. They cost a bit more to buy, correct? But I guess the difference and more is made up in fuel savings.

I think I've already asked this, but it seems the thread has pulled away from my intial question. Are there any recommendations as far as where to live in this area, as well as weher not to live? I've driving around town and have noticed some nice places, and some no so desirable...just wondering where I should focus my efforts.

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Donie75

Hi Porcan Guy,
    I'm originally from Athlone and I have recently moved back to the area. If you're looking for a decent 3 or 4 bedroom house near the town you should consider the Ballymahon Road/Coosan area. Estates like the Moorings, Moreno, Cloghanboy are all very close to town and good amenities. The Coolevin Park, Church Hills and general Coosan area is good too.
    Ard Na Glug is also very close to your workplace as well.
    Check out Seans Bar and Gertie Brownes for a pint.
    There is lots going on in Athlone and it's great in the Summer. If you have any interest in boating you'll love it. Take a drive out around the lake to Coosan Point or Hodson Bay and you'll see the amazing amenity on your doorstep.
    D

PorCan, I'm on my phone so I can't copy and paste but there is a thread below that has 30 posts about where to live in Athlone. You should find more local info there about areas in Athlone worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

If you did want to live in Mullingar and commute to Athlone I would not bother with the old road. Far too slow and dangerous. You are much better off taking the R400 (10 minutes) or N52 to the M6 and then its motorway 120kph all the way.
    The R400 to Rochfortbridge where I live is actually a safer road in my oppinion than the N52, even with the upgrades on the N52 there is still a lethal stretch of road there.

Personally I love Athlone as does my wife and would gladly live/work there. As it is I commute to Dublin from rochfrotbridge every day. It takes less than an hour so it is not too bad although since I am not always based in the office I often have a lot of driving ahead of me but it does not bother me.

Mullingar is a grand town too, just not as pretty looking as Athlone town Centre.

PorCan Guy I am not sure if you were in to Craft beer or Amateur brewing in Canada but if so, click my sig for the Irish community :D
    There is a homebrew shop in Athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kev23

Hi PorCan guy, if you are looking, Mullingar has a few of places up for rent at the moment
    http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=c7&s%5Ba_id%5D%5B%5D=2713&s%5Broute_id%5D=&s%5Ba_id_transport%5D=0&s%5Bstreet_name%5D=&s%5Btxt%5D=&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=&s%5Bbd_no%5D=&s%5Bpt_id%5D=&s%5Bmove_in_date%5D=0&s%5Blease%5D=&s%5Bfurn%5D=1&s%5Bnpt_id%5D=&s%5Bdays_old%5D=&s%5Bsingle_beds%5D=&s%5Bdouble_beds%5D=&s%5Btwin_beds%5D=&s%5Bagreed%5D=&more=&tab=&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=rental&s%5Btransport%5D=&s%5Badvanced%5D=&s%5Bprice_per_room%5D=&search.x=46&search.y=23

, the hospital is in the town and also a 24hr emergency doctors centre.Theres a few nice pubs and restaurants and we just got a new bowling alley this week, so it's not a bad option if you dont mind the drive, and I agree with Saruman's post. The road to Rochfortbridge then onto the motorway is probably the best route to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

A bowling Alley in Mullingar you say? Where would I find such a thing?
    Sounds like fun and something to fill the weekends I am not brewing beer :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Kev23

Yeah, its open about three days. Seems fairly good. Its just before O'Briens Garage where the car dealership is, theres a road in to it on the left.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

hi, speaking as a person who is from near ballinasloe, works in mullingar and currently living in athlone, i would recommend living in athlone. the commute from mullingar to athlone is no fun at all. took me over an hour this morning with my heart in my mouth because of the frost. ballinasloe is an okish town but wouldnt really compete with athlone. if i was to look at buying a house in athlone, i would probably look at the coosan area or ballymahon rd - drumaconn/woodville.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I would also recommend Athlone out of the choices you have there. There's not much wrong with Mullingar, Ballinasloe or Tullamore but Athlone is the place to be in terms of living in the midlands and seeing as you'll be working in th town anyway, I don't see any real reason to live anywhere else. Drumaconn, Coosan, Woodville, Ardnaglug and Bealnamullia are all fine areas that would be considered desirable areas to live in any town or city in the country. Decent prices too when you compare them to prices in Galway and Dublin.

The best of luck with it anyway PorCan Guy and welcome!!

Thanks again everyone! I actually took a drive today to Galway. I was told that the M6 to Galway is opening this weekend, and it would only take about 45 minutes to get there now.

I didn't enjoy the drive on the N6, at least not as something I would everyday, however I'm loving the M6. I've added Galway as a possibility to commute from, but I wasn't super satisfied with I saw. I saw some nice areas, but other areas left me feeling not so right. And the traffic was nuts. However, I know I only saw a portion of the city, as the sun set and I didn't want to trek back on the N6 too late.

Keep the info coming, I really, really appreciate it. I have to admit though, I'm already starting to warm up to Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Thanks again everyone! I actually took a drive today to Galway. I was told that the M6 to Galway is opening this weekend, and it would only take about 45 minutes to get there now.

I didn't enjoy the drive on the N6, at least not as something I would everyday, however I'm loving the M6. I've added Galway as a possibility to commute from, but I wasn't super satisfied with I saw. I saw some nice areas, but other areas left me feeling not so right. And the traffic was nuts. However, I know I only saw a portion of the city, as the sun set and I didn't want to trek back on the N6 too late.

Keep the info coming, I really, really appreciate it. I have to admit though, I'm already starting to warm up to Athlone.

Yeah I live just outside Galway city (I'm from Athlone originally) and while I do like Galway, the traffic is mental with tens of thousands commuting into and around the city everyday for work. It chokes Galway, which is more like a big town that grew too fast for itself than a city. The infrastructure isn't great, and the city council seem intent on making a complete balls of the road network.

While house prices are falling, you'll still get more Bang for your Buck in Athlone.

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Hi Porcan Guy

As a person who was born and brought up in Athlone I have to say, it aint a bad town at all. People who complain and give out about the town are people who haven't ventured elsewhere or people who are not at the stage of life where buying a house or starting a family are in mind.
    I went through a stage of disliking the town but that was in my younger days. All said though no matter where i ventured to I always returned to Athlone.

It is an ideal town if you want to be central to everything. Its also got everything you need i.e train/bus station, cinema and leisure facilities, good pubs, health care (within a reasonable distance), schools/colleges etc. Really anything of interest and Athlone will have it.
    As mentioned before there are places to avoid but you will soon get to know these and what town/city is perfect when it comes to this.

As for a nice area to live, Glasson is a beautiful spot (country yet in touch with things!) and is only 15 mins max from where you would be starting to work. It is on the same side of Athlone town as the Industrial park. Sticking to the same side, Moate is also I lovely place to live. Bit further out than Glasson, but nice and peaceful and country too.
    If your looking over the other side of town, Bealnamulla is a nice locality as it is close to the town but far out enough to be considered touching the boundries of the country style.

I wouldn't be concerned about moving to Athlone if i was you. Its a grand auld spot!! ;)

Thanks TickTacToe...really, the thing I'm most stuck on right now is accessibility to a solid hospital in Athlone. I will have Hi-Tech Hospital coverage...are there any Hi-Tech or Private hospitals closer to Athlone than Balinasloe?

Well, OFFER RECEIVED! It's serious decision time...

PorCanGuy,

I live outside Dublin. It could still take me as long to get to a hospital in Dublin as long as it would take you to get to Ballinasloe or Tullamore. If there is something quite serious no matter where you go they will ship you up to some of the big hospitals in Dublin.

Living in Galway. The road will be heavily tolled. I think there may actually be 2 tolls on the motorway. One just outside Ballinasloe and one nearer Galway. I'm open to correction on that one!

50% of the population is this country don't have local access to local acute hospitals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

Congratulations PorCan Guy.

How far are you from a hospital in your present home? Don't want to get personal now but is attending a hospital something you know you will have to do or is it something you want to be close to in case of an emergency?

In Ireland, the main hospitals are all located in the large cities. Potiuncula in Ballinasloe is the closest 'big' hospital to Athlone, driving time wise.

Advertisement