Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Life in Westmeath - Any Advice?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 PorCan Guy

Hi Tubos...I think that part of the problem is that I currently live a 2 minute drive from the Hospital...unfortunately, I have had to use quite often in the winter months for my son, as he tends to develop asthma with most colds he gets. As well, he had a febrile siezure when he was a little younger, and I think I was traumatized with that experience. That time, my wife and I grabbed him and we rushed him to the hospital ourselves, which was much quicker than waiting for an Ambulance.

Anway, I guess it's just a comfort level I've been used to...

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭tubos

I think the health service in Ireland is not up to the standards of the Canadian health service. There is a website which gives info on Irish hospitals..

http://www.ratemyhospital.ie

and another very good site...

http://www.irishhealth.com/

Regarding an ambulance service, there is a service that is based in Blyry industrial estate. I don't know how it works exactly, but it would be handy if the ambulance only had to come from there if you had an emergency. But, you couldn't rely on an ambulance being available there at all times.

There is a 24 hour doctor service in St. Vincents called MiDoc. The way it works is you call a central phone number, they then contact the local clinic who have a nurse phone you back!! So it can mean a lot of time wasted. Our baby was not well a while ago, and just went straight there a told them to look at him! They couldn't say no to a young child!! Cost a fortune though!!!

There are no late night pharmacies in town, except for Boots on a Thursday and Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Unfortunately our health service just isn't up to scratch. Great people on the frontline but they're let down by the system. If one of your children were seriously ill they'd be sent straight to Dublin.

Thanks again everyone! I think we've landed on a decision. If I manage to negotiate everything that I need, I plan to move to Athlone in late January, and let as close as possible to the Athlone Business Park. I plan to negotiate a 6 month let, as at that point my family will be joining me.

In the meantime, I'm going to be focusing on finding a solid area in Galway City Suburbs to move to. Honestly, I've spent a few days in Athlone, and I don't see much wrong with it. I was really beginnined to warm up to it just as I was to leave, and that was only after a couple of days. Amazing what a nice lunch on a sunny day at the Olive Grove can do for one's perception of the town!

However Galway I think satisfies all my family's needs and wants, and although gas is expensive, I really enjoyed driving the M6. If it means 45 minutes on that motorway each way, so be it. I'm used to a 1 hour commute today as it is. I am also very fond of the ocean (spending my summers during my youth in Portugal will do that to you), so it's one more pro as far as Galway goes.

As far as actually making this reality, I'm negotiating one more hurdle (a major one). But if I can find away over this hurdle, I will proudly become part of the Irish society and culture. One thing I have not been able to stop talking about since I returned to Canada is how incredible Irish people are. I noticed the difference as soon as I landed on this side of the pond. Situations where people were absolutely losing their cool, were the same situations I saw people in Ireland brush off. And there was not one person I met that rolled their eyes at me or gave me attitude when I asked for information. And that stands for the people I met in Athlone, Galway and even Dublin.

Cheers everyone...I have to say that I am missing Ireland, including the love affair I developed with Bulmers... :)

Ah, we lost lads. We did the town proud.

• Advertisement

Ah well we did our best!!!

Just one thing, if you plan to let close to the business park, you will probably be staying close to the college, so the accommodation around there is geared towards students!

But yes, with the new M6 Galway is commutable now.

I always wanted to live along the west coast, maybe I will some day but Athlone is great for now, especially for young families.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

PorCan Guy wrote: »
    Cheers everyone...I have to say that I am missing Ireland, including the love affair I developed with Bulmers... :)

I guess that answers my earlier question ;)

I think you will find Galway a great place to live, though personally I would rather have the option of working closer to where I live.

The commute does not bother me too much but it makes it more difficult as a night out with friends involves staying in Dublin as I can't get public transport home beyond about 21:00

Success is getting in to your car at half 5, being home with the family at 5:45!

Success is getting in to your car at half 5, being home with the family at 5:45!

I don't doubt that...but today I come home to a happy family at 7 or even half past 7...to me, success would be at least maintaining that...if I could come home to the same happy family sooner, of course that would be better. But as I've researched Galway, I'm convinced my family would be ecstatic living there.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed staying in Athlone, and will make Athlone home for at least 6 months, I just think it would be too much of a culture shock for my wife and son. I found Athlone to be very much old-style Europe (I'm referring to the landscape, not the people), which I love, but my wife and son would need some balance with more modern style areas. I think Galway offers a nice mix of both.

I don't doubt that...but today I come home to a happy family at 7 or even half past 7...to me, success would be at least maintaining that...if I could come home to the same happy family sooner, of course that would be better. But as I've researched Galway, I'm convinced my family would be ecstatic living there.

Don't get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed staying in Athlone, and will make Athlone home for at least 6 months, I just think it would be too much of a culture shock for my wife and son. I found Athlone to be very much old-style Europe (I'm referring to the landscape, not the people), which I love, but my wife and son would need some balance with more modern style areas. I think Galway offers a nice mix of both.

Couldn't resist it. :)
    Mrs. Richards: [standing next to the window] And another thing: I asked for aroom with a view.
    Basil Fawlty: [aside to Manuel] Deaf, mad, *and* blind.
    [to Mrs. Richards as he makes a show of inspecting the view] Basil Fawlty: This is the view as far as I can remember... Yes... Yes, this is it.
    Mrs. Richards: When I pay for a view, I expect to see something more interesting than that.
    Basil Fawlty: That is Torquay, madam.
    Mrs. Richards: Well, that's not good enough.
    Basil Fawlty: Well, might I ask what you expected to see out of a Torquay hotel bedroom window? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The hanging gardens of Babylon? Herds of wildebeest sweeping majestically...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Ticktactoe

Galway is great too. Spent a few years there and abs loved it! I find its a city that is easy to settle into. My roots are Athlone tho and so I return to there. M6 is a blessing for commuters. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Athlone is by far the best town out of Mullingar, longford tullamore.

ridiculous. as someone who has lived in all those towns bar longford (which is a kip)
    i'd challenge this by saying that if i was looking to move to the area, I'd choose Roscommon town or Mullingar. Especially bringing a 5 year old. Roscommon is much safer and has good choice of schools, recretional activites and supermarkets as well as a hospital. only 20 minutes up the road from Athlone
    Mullingar also has two hospitals and good schools with a wide range of shops and things to do.

and hey, and there are jobs in ireland where you could be home by 3:30pm.

Thanks again everyone! I think we've landed on a decision. If I manage to negotiate everything that I need, I plan to move to Athlone in late January, and let as close as possible to the Athlone Business Park. I plan to negotiate a 6 month let, as at that point my family will be joining me.

In the meantime, I'm going to be focusing on finding a solid area in Galway City Suburbs to move to. Honestly, I've spent a few days in Athlone, and I don't see much wrong with it. I was really beginnined to warm up to it just as I was to leave, and that was only after a couple of days. Amazing what a nice lunch on a sunny day at the Olive Grove can do for one's perception of the town!

However Galway I think satisfies all my family's needs and wants, and although gas is expensive, I really enjoyed driving the M6. If it means 45 minutes on that motorway each way, so be it. I'm used to a 1 hour commute today as it is. I am also very fond of the ocean (spending my summers during my youth in Portugal will do that to you), so it's one more pro as far as Galway goes.

As far as actually making this reality, I'm negotiating one more hurdle (a major one). But if I can find away over this hurdle, I will proudly become part of the Irish society and culture. One thing I have not been able to stop talking about since I returned to Canada is how incredible Irish people are. I noticed the difference as soon as I landed on this side of the pond. Situations where people were absolutely losing their cool, were the same situations I saw people in Ireland brush off. And there was not one person I met that rolled their eyes at me or gave me attitude when I asked for information. And that stands for the people I met in Athlone, Galway and even Dublin.

check Roscommon or Mullingar out. if you are willing to drive. and you'd be stupid to be driving to galway and back everyday.

check Roscommon or Mullingar out. if you are willing to drive. and you'd be stupid to be driving to galway and back everyday.

I drove to Galway the other day in 45 minutes from Athlone. takes a little longer to get to the centre of town with traffic.

No offence to people from Mullingar or Roscommon, but if Athlone is too much "old-style European" I don't think Mullingar or Roscommon would be on PorCanGuy's list.

And before anyone goes on about Athlone v Mullingar/Roscommon I make the point in relation PorCanGuy's decision (already made) to base himself in Galway.

tubos wrote: »
    I drove to Galway the other day in 45 minutes from Athlone. takes a little longer to get to the centre of town with traffic.

well done
    how much did the toll cost? it will go up every year for next 3 years, at least
    how much did you spend on fuel?
    now calculate how much money would be spent getting you from Galway to Athlone and back every working day for a year?

well done
    how much did the toll cost? it will go up every year for next 3 years, at least
    how much did you spend on fuel?
    now calculate how much money would be spent getting you from Galway to Athlone and back every working day for a year?

toll was 1.90 each way
    Don't know how much I spent on fuel
    why would I want calculate that, I was only stating how long it took me to drive it

The OP already stated what his salary range would be, I would imagine he would manage the toll charge. I don't think he would use too much more fuel coming from Galway compared to coming from Mullingar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 surfjunkie

if was coming from canada and working in athlone and thought living in galway was a viable option, i'd do it too. however after 6 months op might realise that its not the most enjoyable commute and may change his mind. i still would love to live in galway. but with both myself and oh working in the midlands theres no point living there. athlone will have to do for the moment thanks.
    unless my child had serious health complaints i wouldn't be putting availability of hospital at top of my list. think work, nice area to live in and availability of a good local national school would influence my decision a lot faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭CGorman

Well put it this way...

Daily Toll: €3.80 (will rise over time)
    Daily Fuel: €15.50 (will rise over time) *

Thats €97 per week of after tax income gone.
    Or over €5,000 per annum

If he is earning a high salary, then he will be paying tax at close to 50%; that means out of his gross salary, the best part of €10,000 will go towards his commute...

Now that is before valuing wear and tear on his car, and the value he places on 2hrs of his free time, every day (or 500 hrs per annum).

----

* 90km+ each way = 180km daily @ 40mpg @ €1.21/l = €15.50 per day

BTW: Tubos - he would use well over twice as much fuel coming from Galway rather than Mullingar/Tullamore. For a start its twice the distance; then add in the fact that your MPG suffer dramatically when traveling 120kph on motorway compared to driving 80kph-100kph or so on the Ballymore Road or Clara Road

Living in Athlone while working there is definitely a better option than the commute from Galway, but if somebody wants to sacrifice their time and money for what they believe is a better place for their family to live then I think Galway to Athlone is not a bad commute, taking all things in.
    I used to commute from Meath to south Dublin and it was a 3hour round trip commute, two daily tolls, lots of fuel. That's why I moved to Athlone!! ya can't beat living and working in the same town, that's something I could'nt afford to do in South Dublin!!

• Advertisement

just wondering how the op was getting on?

was looking back through this thread so i could someone in another thread the link.

Looking at their profile
    Last Activity: 29-12-2009 21:18

I don't hold much hope of getting a reply.

Advertisement