Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for someone to show my 2yr old Connemara Colt

Options
  • 08-12-2009 11:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi Everyone,
    I'm looking for someone to show my Connemara Colt next year, He'll be turning 2yr old. He's Gwennic De Govaria and out of a Boden Park Finnard Mare. He's had plenty of handling and is well mannered. I'd love to show him myself but i wouldn't have to experience to do him justice.:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Show him yourself. It's the only way you will get experience. You won't be long learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I agree with Finbarrk; try showing your colt yourself and see how you get on. If it happens that you don't find your feet, then you can go about looking for someone, but give it a go first. My brother ended up showing his mare in hand (I was supposed to do it, but our classes clashed). He had never seen an in-hand class before, and what was worse (for him) he ended up being called in first, so he couldn't even watch anyone do a show beforehand! Regardless, the mare ended up winning the class. So it goes to show you that you don't need to have much/any experience to ensure your horse does well.

Maybe you could take a look at some classes beforehand and see what's required. Or if you knew someone who shows you could have a chat with them and see if they have any tips/advice they could share with you. You might even come across some video footage on the net (try youtube - there were a few videos of ridden classes on it, so there may also be some in hand classes up there too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.behan

Thanks for your help.
    I'm very tempted, but i wouldn't have a clue where to start. Is there a website where i'd find dates of shows, entries etc???

The Irish Shows Association would be the best place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

OP
    Go for it yourself.Everyone you see in a class had to start somewhere. There must be someone in the area who does a bit of showing(your Farrier will know someone near you) who you can talk to. What actually happens in the class is the easy bit:D.Its the preparation that takes its toll.
    Once you learn what is needed, practice. Then pick a nice small show where you can have a gentle intro to the atmosphere of the whole day for both of you and you can enjoy it. Then as they say it will be onwards and hopefully upwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Definitely go for it, sure you will never learn otherwise! I agree with all the others have said, go along and observe first, and then enter him in a relaxed local show for his first day out.

Just one thing to add is that a two year old will need to be shown in a bridle, so he will need to be bitted if he isn't already. That's something that you can be working at over the winter so he's ready to go. (May is about the start of the showing season).

Whereabouts are you based?

Just crossed my mind: if your colt hasn't been to any shows before, or isn't used to being around other horses, you could always bring him to a show or two for an 'outing' without actually showing him. That way you could get him used to the whole 'show' thing gradually without expecting him to perform in a completely strange, new and very excitable atmosphere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 s.behan

I'm based in Clonbullogue, in Co Offaly. I had a small rubber foal bit on him when he was about 6 months,he's been out on grass up until about 6 weeks ago and i started him in a showing bridle about a month ago with a proper copper bit with keys. Thats a good idea about taking him along to a few shows to get him used to it, i can have a look at a few classes and see what goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Sounds like he is going great so. Just going along to shows is great for youngsters. The yard where I used to keep my lady would never leave a lorry go to a show with an empty stall, some youngster always went for a ride!

As well as the bitting, spend time on stuff like boxing - as in put the box in the field or yard if you can and feeding him in it, lunging very lightly, pulling at his tail, mane etc over the winter. All those things will really stand him, and give him an edge, come the summer.

Advertisement