Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgaea

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:27am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭

After this being on my to play list for years, I finally downloaded Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness for my PSP and loving it so far. Not too familiar with the SRPG (only played Jeanne D'Arc before) but this is a very rich game indeed, with one of the most in-depth and pleasingly complex combat systems I've ever had the joy to try and understand. Plus the localisation is superb - nice to see an RPG rip the piss instead of the usual po-faced nature of the genre.

Any tips for a newbie to the game? I'm getting the hang of it slowly, but is there any more efficient way to level up new characters? My Laharl is already pretty strong, but would like to get my other spellcasters etc... up to speed too.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stop playing it! People have literally put thousands of hours into it!

I'm not sure the Nippon Ichi games are for me. I tried La PucelleTactics and couldn't get into it so haven't bothered with Disgaea. I might go back to it since I heard it's much different and better than La Pucelle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Stop playing it! People have literally put thousands of hours into it!

I'm not sure the Nippon Ichi games are for me. I tried La PucelleTactics and couldn't get into it so haven't bothered with Disgaea. I might go back to it since I heard it's much different and better than La Pucelle.

Indeed - any game with level 9999 stats is asking for trouble! I trust myself enough to avoid the lure of grinding!

But you should defintely try it. Superb gameplay and very energetic and unique story/design. Plus it has Prinnies, the most adorable exploding penguins ever to grace gaming!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Any tips for a newbie to the game? I'm getting the hang of it slowly, but is there any more efficient way to level up new characters? My Laharl is already pretty strong, but would like to get my other spellcasters etc... up to speed too.
    There are usually some story levels where multiple enemies starts on some exp panels. Those are your leveling levels.

To level quickly just level up a staff or whatever is appropriate for the class you are leveling. Equip your character with it, enter exp level and one hit the enemies. You can also soften them up first with other characters and finish with the character you want level.

It's quite easy to to level up spell casters as they can hit multiple panels with their spells.

It's also possible to level the spell casters by picking them up using Laharl and killing really strong monsters

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I got this about 3 yrs ago played about 2 hrs of it and never played it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Siegfried

i should be careful about this game, it sounds addicting !

level 9999 for stats, bizarre man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I was put off by the title: "afternoon of darkness" when i spotted it in the shop.

What? a whole AFTERNOON!? we'll have to cancel our tea party and stay indoors till the evening... which promises to be lovely... ahem.

could they not have called it "day of evil" or something?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I was put off by the title: "afternoon of darkness" when i spotted it in the shop.

What? a whole AFTERNOON!? we'll have to cancel our tea party and stay indoors till the evening... which promises to be lovely... ahem.

could they not have called it "day of evil" or something?

Nippon Ichi has a very particular sense of humour, and Afternoon of Darkness as a title fits nicely into the consistently playful and ridiculous plot that goes along with the game. Humour (and more specifically, Prinnies!) is as much a part of Disgaea's appeal as the ludicrous stats.

Disgaea 3 (sitting under my TV, waiting until I find time to play the damn thing) is subtitled Absence of Justice - sounds generic, but worthy of a laugh when you find out its actually set in a school.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

so you can level stats up, is there enough material to keep you going, or is it a bit like the fortune/luck sphere push of FFX?

Advertisement