Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome - how to improve condition

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

Was going around getting sponsorship for the Concern fast the other day and found out one of my neighbours had an operation on her writs as she has carpal tunnel syndrome. She finds her hands get cold and numb very quickly now. Is there anything she can do to prevent this from happening or to improve her condition.

She said she finds it difficult to bend her fingers as well and she's not as dexterous. I'm not very familiar with this condition but I guess this is the main sympton. Would love to help her out as she's a lovely person.

God bless,

Phil.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 klh

Hi Phil,

You could send her to a Neuromuscular Therapist. If you google that you will find out what they are. Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a common complaint, and most NMT'S should be able to assist. There is a website that gives you a list of NMT'S. www.anmt.ie. and you will get one near your area. Hope that helps as the condition is a real nuisance.

Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

If it hasn't progresssed too far there are some basic stretches that can greatly improve the condition.

Make a fist, hold it for 5-10 secs and release. Then stretch the fingers out as if playing a piano and hold again. Then push the fingers backwards and hold. Repeat it 3 times on each hand.

I also stretch my wrists. I'll push my whole hand down, stretch it out, and then pull it back. Never to a point of causing pain, just to feel the stretch.

I suffer with CTS too and tend to do these exercises if I'm not using my hands (eg watching tv). Repetitive actions can cause CTS so if your friend is doing something repetitive, she could also try to adjust her stance and posture. CTS can be caused by nerves within your back and shoulders so posture can often be a start.

Advertisement