Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CSKA Moscow could be booted out of the Champions League

• 09-12-2009 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

CSKA Moscow could be thrown out of the Champions League and banned from future competitions because of positive drugs tests for two of their players following a match against Manchester United.

Russian defenders Alexei Berezutsky and Sergei Ignashevich have been provisionally suspended from all games after positive doping tests for a banned stimulant.

Full story here...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=710266&sec=uefachampionsleague&cc=5739

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I guess the next best team would get the place - or Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

mike65 wrote: »

pfft football noob.

Saint Patricks Athletic get whatever is going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Well by the rule book they should be thrown out.

Stupid boys for doing what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

John O'Shea would have a lot of games on his hands.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I wonder if Liverpool will try to claim their space ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I wonder if Liverpool will try to claim their space ;)

It'd be nice to see them knocked out again.

Presumably Wolfsburg would go through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

I don't understand, when players at massive commercial European clubs get found guilty of doping, the player is punished, the club is let off. when a smaller club has it, kick them out of the Champions League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,807 ✭✭✭✭kippy

DSB wrote: »
    I don't understand, when players at massive commercial European clubs get found guilty of doping, the player is punished, the club is let off. when a smaller club has it, kick them out of the Champions League?

I think it has got more to do with the number of players involved and the possible involvement of club staff.*

*post subject to correction.

FFS..

Part of Article 12 of UEFA's disciplinary regulations states: "If more than one player from the same team is charged with a doping offence in relation to a prohibited substance or methods the team in question may be disqualified from the competition in progress and/or future competitions."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Maybe we could set up a facebook campaign and sign some petitions :p

kippy wrote: »
    I think it has got more to do with the number of players involved and the possible involvement of club staff.*

*post subject to correction.

Well its only 2. And in 2000 there were a large number of Italian cases but no1 was ever punished. Milan on the other hand were allowed blatantly cheat, fix matches and still play in Europe for years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Very hard on the club, ban the players fine, but the entire club?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

OPENROAD wrote: »
    Maybe we could set up a facebook campaign and sign some petitions :p

Should ban those group things though i did see a 'Let Everton groundshare with Tranmere group' on it , was amusing. :D

FFS..

Part of Article 12 of UEFA's disciplinary regulations states: "If more than one player from the same team is charged with a doping offence in relation to a prohibited substance or methods the team in question may be disqualified from the competition in progress and/or future competitions."

That as it may be, but still, lets face it, the punishment will relate to who has commited the crime, not the crime itself. UEFA and FIFA are rotten to the core and have no interest in giving smaller teams the same treatment as the big boys. We found that out all too harshly.

That as it may be, but still, lets face it, the punishment will relate to who has commited the crime, not the crime itself. UEFA and FIFA are rotten to the core and have no interest in giving smaller teams the same treatment as the big boys. We found that out all too harshly.

Ah here, let's not MAKE every football issue an excuse to have this "big boys vs little fish" argument. If they ARE booted out, Wolfsburg will take their place, not France.

Ah here, let's not MAKE every football issue an excuse to have this "big boys vs little fish" argument. If they ARE booted out, Wolfsburg will take their place, not France.

This is a big boys vs little fish argument. Its not about who the replacement would be, its about whether this punishment would happen if the offending team were Milan or Real Madrid. Even Chelsea have had their ban put back because it just wouldn't suit them to not be able to sign players without having signed a few in advance already to make sure they're well prepared for the token ban. Its an absolute disgrace and the bodies that govern football need to be weeded out, and have decent footballing people installed instead.

This is a big boys vs little fish argument. Its not about who the replacement would be, its about whether this punishment would happen if the offending team were Milan or Real Madrid. Even Chelsea have had their ban put back because it just wouldn't suit them to not be able to sign players without having signed a few in advance already to make sure they're well prepared for the token ban. Its an absolute disgrace and the bodies that govern football need to be weeded out, and have decent footballing people installed instead.

Fair points.

Fair points.

Cheers, CSKA Moscow are going to be made an example of here, and its always the small teams that get made examples of. Ban the 2 offending players and leave it at that. If Milan are allowed lie, cheat and steal, and go on and win the Champions League the same year, then letting CSKA Moscow go on a round before getting thumped by one of UEFA's pets really shouldn't be an issue, but UEFA will want to look like a bastion of justice and fairness, and will use the little boys to make their point. It is an absolute disgrace and actually makes me physically angry.

It is an absolute disgrace and actually makes me physically angry.

Don't break your keyboard! You're right though - especially on the Milan issue. That made a mockery of the competition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Cheers, CSKA Moscow are going to be made an example of here, and its always the small teams that get made examples of. Ban the 2 offending players and leave it at that. If Milan are allowed lie, cheat and steal, and go on and win the Champions League the same year, then letting CSKA Moscow go on a round before getting thumped by one of UEFA's pets really shouldn't be an issue, but UEFA will want to look like a bastion of justice and fairness, and will use the little boys to make their point. It is an absolute disgrace and actually makes me physically angry.

Agree with that, there an easy club to make an example of. UEFA will jump and the good PR and "hard line" approach they will of appeared to have adopted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

We don't know for sure they are guilty. I was listening to a club official of Wolfsburg earlier on Sky and he was saying he didn't think anything would happen to them.

Didn't Cannavaro escape punishment for something similar to this a few weeks back? Some other clerical problem?

We don't know for sure they are guilty. I was listening to a club official of Wolfsburg earlier on Sky and he was saying he didn't think anything would happen to them.

Didn't Cannavaro escape punishment for something similar to this a few weeks back? Some other clerical problem?

No-one suggested that they are guilty - the suspensions have been provisionally suspended, with the hearing on Dec 17th.

Yeah but that should say it all really. Paddy Kenny was not so lucky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Unless any club officials are found to be involved, I dont see why they should be made an example of, if there is nobody else is involved then it should be just the players held accountable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,466 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

gavredking wrote: »
    Unless any club officials are found to be involved, I dont see why they should be made an example of, if there is nobody else is involved then it should be just the players held accountable.

Or they should be held accountable to the rules, which state if more than one player is guilty the club can face expulsion from the competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

If common sense had as much weight as the rule book, the club doctor would get called up, the club would take a "clerical f%*k-up" fine, and that would be that.

Not gonna happen though the way fifa works I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yay, maybe this was the compensation Blatter spoke of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Anyway UEFA says CSKA are in the Big Cup still.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Anyway UEFA says CSKA are in the Big Cup still.

Boo.

Advertisement