Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man shot dead tonight

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭

Just spotted this story on rte:

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1208/limerick.html

Man in his early 20s shot dead at Bearys Cross on the Tipperary Road tonight. Was heading home at around 22:30 and a number of units the of ERU were outside the two houses just before the turn off at Bearys Cross.

Incidentily I was driving to work this morning and noticed a marked Garda car and Paddy wagen outside one of these houses too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

Saw that earlier and posted it on LB, but thought I was watching TV3.My bad,it read "TV3 news man shot dead in Limerick".If having the station wrong was not bad enough I left out a very important comma.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭mike kelly

According to the Irish Times, the killing is gangland related. Any info on this? I know we can't name names but does anyone know which side of the feud the victim was on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

mike kelly wrote: »
    According to the Irish Times, the killing is gangland related. Any info on this? I know we can't name names but does anyone know which side of the feud the victim was on?

The car was found burnt out in the Garryowen area of the city if that's any use to you. It seemed to be more people from the Island field side of town that had moved out to the Caherconlish area in recent years. But I could be way off the mark.

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    The car was found burnt out in the Garryowen area of the city if that's any use to you. It seemed to be more people from the Island field side of town that had moved out to the Caherconlish area in recent years. But I could be way off the mark.

Well, RTE says arrests were made after a nearby house was searched...

Why are they so keen to get him anyway?

• Advertisement

Limerick Blogger says

"named as Danny Fitzgerald, gang members in custody but not feud related. On the front page of the Leader but no link yet"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Passed in that way around 9pm last night and saw nothing so must have been after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

have removed speculative and innacruate posts. if you are bringing new info to this thread BACK IT UP WITH A REFERRENCE

people who fail to do so from here on in will be infracted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

have removed speculative and innacruate posts. if you are bringing new info to this thread BACK IT UP WITH A REFERRENCE

people who fail to do so from here on in will be infracted
    What a surprise you felt the need to rule with an iron mouse :rolleyes:

Its not the same person shot on Parnell street last year: http://www.limericknewswire.com/2008/01/12/teen-shot-in-limerick-city-attack/

Or Stephen Fitzgerald, the first man gardaí had used a tazer on: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0302/fitzgeralds.html

It was Daniel Fitzgerald! http://www.herald.ie/national-news/city-news/dad-shot-dead-as-his-caravan-is-sprayed-with-bullets-1968604.html

Hope you're happy now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

One of the soundest and most genuine guys you could ever hope to meet. I hope the dirty worthless cretin who did this dies the most horrific and agonisingly painful death possible. R.I.P Danny.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 481 ✭✭coldwood92

For **** Sake

Stop the gangland crime in Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

coldwood92 wrote: »
    For **** Sake

What are you on about?? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GANGLAND!!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

coldwood92 wrote: »
    For **** Sake

The Gardai have ruled out this being a gangland murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

DarkJager wrote: »
    What are you on about?? IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH GANGLAND!!! :mad:

If it involved members of a known gang, surely it's gangland related? Or do both sides have to be in gangs for it to be classified a gangland murder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

koHd wrote: »
    Or do both sides have to be in gangs for it to be classified a gangland murder?

if thats true i would consider this type of murder far more serious than gangland murders, who cares if the scum kill each other, but cases like this one are very seriuos

DarkJager wrote: »
    One of the soundest and most genuine guys you could ever hope to meet. I hope the dirty worthless cretin who did this dies the most horrific and agonisingly painful death possible. R.I.P Danny.
    Sorry to hear he was a friend of yours, I see he was a good friend of Andy Lee too, what scum we have in this city.

koHd wrote: »
    If it involved members of a known gang, surely it's gangland related? Or do both sides have to be in gangs for it to be classified a gangland murder?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

there was two garda vans similar to the ones used for transfering prisoners parked outside a house in the killonan area on the ballysimon road around 3.30 yesterday afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭utick

mike kelly wrote: »
    Yes

so in other words gangland murders dont matter

heard today that quite a haul of gear was discovered there horse an stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Anyone got details of those arrested? A link perhaps? I'd like to know who we are dealing with.

just passing thro the ballysimon road, it looks like there is a garda convention on there, paddy wagons and garda cars parked outside a house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭irishvamp90

So was he mistaken for someone else or was it someone else in the house where he was shot?

Whatv was this about ice creams vans belonging to one crime family

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

So was he mistaken for someone else or was it someone else in the house where he was shot?

Whatv was this about ice creams vans belonging to one crime family

Just to be sure, the family/business which operates the ice cream vans in Limerick and the region have nothing to do with this or any other crime. They are in no way fued related.

The well known family who are suspected to be involved in this murder do own a ice cream van along with a number of other outside catering vehicles, this van was taken by CAB earlier this year but was returned as it was in the name of the wife (or something on those lines)

Anyone got details of those arrested? A link perhaps? I'd like to know who we are dealing with.
    Members of the Keane/Collopy Limerick criminal gang were among those in custody according to the Irish times

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/1210/breaking38.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

and he gets free legal aid

utick wrote: »
    so in other words gangland murders dont matter

That's not what I mean. A gangland killing means that also the victim was involved in criminality, that was not the case here.

is it true that the cops found the gun used?

• Advertisement
Advertisement