Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Words fail me

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭

And so, on this the 29th anniversary of his untimely death, someone actually said to me today that "maybe John Lennon would still be alive if he hadn't left the Rolling Stones......."
    My sadness only deepened and I hadn't the energy nor interest to point out that which shouldn't need pointing. Perhaps if Mr McCartney & co could see that by withholding all the Beatles videos from VH1 and MTV and the like they are not taking the high moral ground and raising themselves above everyone else, but rather denying themselves a whole new generation of fans who will more than likely be ignorant of the vast majority of the Beatles work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Well if he'd never left the Stones, he'd never have joined the Beatles when the space opened up following the death of Bobby Fuller in 66 and in turn would never have been in New York on that faitfull day. The Stones may have done somethign good with Imagine had John written it during his time with them and not whiel he was trumpet player with Genisis. I can see why your mate is annoyed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Syd Barrett would still be alive if he had left boring Pink Floyd for The Who!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

To be fair the Beatles are not exactly relevant to todays generation. McCartney is the most successful living song writer on the planet and Id guess only 10% of anyone under 25 would know who he is. I mean Id say half of the that same group would struggle to name 5 songs from their ripoff cousins Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

kmick wrote:
    To be fair the Beatles are not exactly relevant to todays generation. McCartney is the most successful living song writer on the planet and Id guess only 10% of anyone under 25 would know who he is. I mean Id say half of the that same group would struggle to name 5 songs from their ripoff cousins Oasis.

I would say they are relevant for the cultural impact that they made. I remember reading about The Beatles in history class and I can see the benefit now based on the OP's experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

the guy is seriously overated, if he wasn't dead he'd have been forgotten about long ago

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If Lennon had some bodygaurds with him on the night he might still be around today .Either that or died of an overdose

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

There some harsh comments here alright. To be fair to the man I wouldn't say he is overated I mean he was one of the driving forces in one of the greatest bands in the world (The Beatles if there is still some confusion on that:rolleyes:). And any person who writes Imagine, Working Class Hero, Mother and one of the better christmas songs war is over (up there with Fairytale of New York in my opinion) and a few others besides is not exactly untalented.

And I doubt he would be forgotten about sure don't we all know who Paul McCartney is? (Or am I being too persumptious? Although 10% of under 25s know who he is, doubt it) How would anyone remember him and not John Lennon if he was still about?

Now George Harrison there is a man who gets no damn respect and he was the best beatle solo career-wise.

You may have guessed I'm a big beatles fan.......:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

Maybe if he was still alive he would have got the thomas gig

Advertisement