Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translations of "please take one"

Options
  • 09-12-2009 1:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭

(I posted this in the Languages forum, but it's had not too many viewings and no responses. Am chancing my arm and posting it here, on the basis that there are lots of smart people in this forum and the translations needed are specifically targeted to Galway's ethnic mix ... hope I get away with it .... !)

I'm doing a business cards display thingie for a friend's small business.

In English, we say "please take one".

But he also wants it in Irish, Polish, French and Spanish, to cover Galway's major language communities.

I've had a go with some on-line translators, but I'm very monoglot and hopeless with languages. So looking for some feedback about whether this is right or not:
    Please take one

Tóg do thoil a hAon

Proszę przyjąć karty

Veuillez prendre un

Por favor, tómese una tarjeta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭quietobserver

Tóg chéan amháin or Tóg céann ive no notion of the translations into the other lingos. theres no need for the please in the irish transation, just a direct action

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

I bet you they're penis jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Traochta

I can only help you with the Irish one:

Tóg Ceann le do Thoil

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Traochta

I can only help you with the Irish one:

Tóg Ceann le do Thoil

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Tóg ceann - means take one.

Personally I'd leave out the "le do thoil" think it's overstating it in Irish tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭SuperDude87

For the french I would say

Veuillez prendre une (a card would be feminine)

It's ok as it is but like in Irish I would leave out the please so if you were asking me I would just say

"Prenez une"

"Veuillez" is usually only for real formal french and I always think it as begging!! Hope this helps

Advertisement