Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an EK civic

• 09-12-2009 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Ok lads so in the new year I plan to buy a Civic. I love the shape of the EK's so thats the model I'm gonna go for. I'm gonna buy a 1.6 VTEC DOHC so I'm just wondering if there's anything that I should look out for? It'll most likely be from 96-98 and my budget will be somewhere in the region of €3000 so I'm not expecting something absolutely mint or crazy low mileage. As long as it drives and lasts for another 30-50k miles that'll do me.

But out of interest how many miles is too many on these engines? Are there any common problems that I should look out for?

I plan to make some tasteful exterior mods but keeping them to a minimum. Possibly a Type R grill and Type R body kit etc no oversized spoilers or halfords jobs.

For insurance reasons and financial reasons I'd say a Type R would be too much for me.

What would be the potential for power increases with relatively basic mods like new manifold and full exhaust , cold air induction etc? What kind of BHP could I expect from these mods? Would there be anything else that I could do to increase the power without spending TOO much?

Ideally, I'd like to find one with a majority of these mods already done, to cut down on overall costs. I'm not expecting a massively powerful machine at the end of this just a nicely modded job.

I've wanted one of these cars for years so I'm delighted that its finally going to happen.

Thanks !

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Once there regularly serviced, timing belts get done on time, gearbox oil is changed then these cars are mechanically bulletproof.

I would not worry about the mileage on one at all, the condition is what I'd be looking at, there popular with young lads so will have hard a hard enough life but once there minded too they can take it.

When looking at one, make sure the VTEC crossover point is working correctly, you'll hear the engine note change as it cross's over. Also make sure it hasn't been changed by the use of a VTEC controller, this usually just changes the crossover point and doesn't adjust the fuel/air mixture to suit so does more harm than anything else.

Other things would be to check suspension, cv joints tend to go on them, make sure oil isn't burning through the rings and being used up during hard driving and make sure there's no crunches in the gearbox.

€3k is a bit of a low budget for one though, there still overpriced in my opinion but they you could get one in your price range, just dont buy the first one thats in your price range. Make sure you take your time and find a nice example.

With your budget I wouldn't expect to get one with many mods, if it does they'll probably be cheap mods that have a negative effect on the car, the proper mods are mad expensive for what you gain.

With the mods you've mentioned if there top quality you could see a gain of 10 -15bhp, other mods on top of that start getting very expensive, look into getting type r parts for the engine. Insurance will need notification of any mods too.

The VTI/SIR is around 159/169 bhp standard which is plenty of power on Irish roads if your a young lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Thanks for the re assuring advice! I'll most likely be buying a SIR anyway so I'll keep an eye out for the things you mentioned. Thanks very much for the help man!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

Draffodx has it covered. Just beware if it's a VTi to check for rust, english cars can have their fair share of it.

Gear crunchers and oil burners ! Thats the killer with them.

I've got a DA6 Integra 1.6 DOHC VTEC, good bit quicker than an ek SiR ( due to it's lightweight and engine mods ). Good machine on petrol too. For sale aswell ( in your budget :) ).

They generally give no trouble, expect to be seeing returns of 35 - 40mpg driving normally. Ohh and there ain't no smile like a Vtec smile.

Flyer1 wrote: »
    Draffodx has it covered. Just beware if it's a VTi to check for rust, english cars can have their fair share of it.

Gear crunchers and oil burners ! Thats the killer with them.

I've got a DA6 Integra 1.6 DOHC VTEC, good bit quicker than an ek SiR ( due to it's lightweight and engine mods ). Good machine on petrol too. For sale aswell ( in your budget :) ).

They generally give no trouble, expect to be seeing returns of 35 - 40mpg driving normally. Ohh and there ain't no smile like a Vtec smile.

Thanks man at least with everyones help I'll be somewhat informed as to what I should look out for! Hmm we'll I've got my heart set on a hatch but I'll check it out if you've got it advertised somewhere!

Have you come across any that would interest you yet?

• Advertisement

Yeah I saw a gorgeous one on adverts there the other day actually made an offer on it but I realised quickly that I wouldn't have been able to gather enough money in such a short space of time.

Here's the link to it. 1996 Civic SiR

The cleanliness of the car was what attracted me to it, looking back it kinda seems slightly over priced for what it is . . or am I wrong there?

Other than that I've just been browsing donedeal but most of the Civics there are just riced 1.4's :pac:

I'm not in any imminent rush to buy but once I gather up enough money I won't be waiting around too long if the right one pops up.

Here's a question for all ye in the know . . does anyone here know anyone who has turboed one of these things? Just interested to know!

For 2900, not really. You get what you pay for buddy !

The older Honda's seem to hold their value a lot better. example, for a clean ef9 ( old box shape ) SiR you will pay 5 - 6k.

If you are looking thought get yourself on to www.honda-haven.com ! Irelands only dedicated Honda website. Some serious bargains do pop up. Mine is in the for sale section there too actually, black teg with white or green wheels ! Depends how recent the pics are !

Cool I'll have a look thanks for the link!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

adamshred wrote: »
    Here's a question for all ye in the know . . does anyone here know anyone who has turboed one of these things? Just interested to know!

A mate of mine drove a turbo one before said it was quick as fuck but fair hard to steer! Guy that owned ended up blowin the engine i think. Not worth turboin em i think. Get a good condition car and you should have plenty of power without spendin 1000's doin all the work needed to turbo.

haha ah no I don't think I'd ever turbo it. Anyways, I'm seriously considering buying that Civic which I linked a few posts before. Anyone have any opinions on it? I have new found access to money via a 0% interest loan (from mammy) so if everything checks out with that car I see no reason why I shouldnt snap it up?

• Advertisement

check it out and let us know how it goes.

As for turboing one your looking at serious money, you need to forge the engine, upgrade loads of parts in the engine and not to mention brakes as well fuel pump etc and thats before the turbo itself.

Then your left with a car with serious torque steer.

Big power is not the point of these cars

draffodx wrote: »
    check it out and let us know how it goes.

As for turboing one your looking at serious money, you need to forge the engine, upgrade loads of parts in the engine and not to mention brakes as well fuel pump etc and thats before the turbo itself.

Then your left with a car with serious torque steer.

Big power is not the point of these cars

Good point. Well made. Haha, was just curious about the turbo because of the amount of people in the US who have done it :P.
    I'm checking out insurance quotes today and if all looks well I'll be venturing down to Wexford to have a look at that SiR :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

For 2900, not really. You get what you pay for buddy !

The older Honda's seem to hold their value a lot better. example, for a clean ef9 ( old box shape ) SiR you will pay 5 - 6k.
    To pay that for an SIR you'd need to be mad, you'd get a Type R for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

Grahamo999 wrote: »

i was offered 4k for my 92 sir less then a week ago. :rolleyes:

Do you mean the 2900 for the 1996 SiR or 5-6k for the box type?

Pdfile wrote: »

link to an advert? I wouldn't mind a look

Right, bad news as of yet. Contacted the insurance broker and was told that I can't even get a quote on the SiR despite having a full license and 1 year NCB. The fact that I'm only 18 is obviously the defining factor but I surely would have expected at least a quote! My father wants to get insured on the car I buy anyway so even named driver insurance would be enough for me at this stage. Where's everyone getting their insurance from?!

Pdfile wrote: »
    Course ya were
    Do you mean the 2900 for the 1996 SiR or 5-6k for the box type?

2900 is a nice price for one, to pay 6k for any SiR, you would need to be crazy, like seriously!
    I test drove an ITR a few months back and its now for sale for 4k, to pay 6k for something thats not as good is insanity.

What age are you op? Would you not consider saving a bit more and going for a Type R Civic or Teg?

And this pdfile has no bloody idea what he's talking about, he slags off Modified cars in one thread, then says he has a 92 SiR in another...he's clearly a kid that cant drive.

Graham, a type R for 2900 is going to be a piece of scrap, no two ways about it. I've been looking at a few different one's, seems anything decent and clean is priced at 4k+

Graham, a type R for 2900 is going to be a piece of scrap, no two ways about it. I've been looking at a few different one's, seems anything decent and clean is priced at 4k+
    TBH I dont think its possible to get one at all for that low, thats why I suggested savin for another while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Any performance car will be difficult to insure at 18 OP, hit the quinn website and try get a quote

My Tegs going for €3.5k now and its had all its problems sorted out, 4 months tax left, over a years nct left, running perfectly, fairly new tires, regularly serviced every 5k, gearbox just sorted, timing belt included.

Simply need to change to a diesel so the Teg is going for a bargain

Just noticed that you're 18, twill be bloody hard to insure an SiR at 18 man. As far as I know a VTi is a lot easier to insure...try travelers brokers on the vti

Probably won't even quote you on an SiR dude.... I tried it, no joy.

draffodx, yours is a bargain mate ! If I could insure it i'd have it off you in the morning, love the UKDM Teg ! Swap for an old skool DA one ? hehe

Course ya were

2900 is a nice price for one, to pay 6k for any SiR, you would need to be crazy, like seriously!
    I test drove an ITR a few months back and its now for sale for 4k, to pay 6k for something thats not as good is insanity.

What age are you op? Would you not consider saving a bit more and going for a Type R Civic or Teg?

And this pdfile has no bloody idea what he's talking about, he slags off Modified cars in one thread, then says he has a 92 SiR in another...he's clearly a kid that cant drive.

I'm 18 so insurance might be somewhat of a problem. It has proved to be somewhat impossible to get a quote as of yet, turned down by FBD, Quinn, and even a local broker. Left a message with Britton so will be waiting to hear back from them. Not looking good though. I'll keep trying anyway because I'm really not up for driving a 1.4 Civic for the sake of it when I know that theres a lovely SiR waiting somewhere! I've been driving just over a year now no points/claims/accidents never been pulled by the guards on the road or at a checkpoint which is surprising considering how many times my friends are pulled over on a regular basis(not that there's any reason I'd need to be pulled over I don't drive like a muppet).

And either way I'm kinda pushing to get a car within the next month anyway just because I need it for college. Ah the dilemmas of life haha. Its an awful pity about the whole situation but what can I expect being so young. Just such a sickener seeing such a lovely car and not being able to have it even though its in the price range. Have to say as well the guy I spoke to from FBD was very friendly and helpful there was no hostility!

Right. Tried Britton, straight up flat NO. So thats that, guess I'll have to go for a ****tier model unfortunately. Total sickener really but what can I do. Thanks for all the help anyway lads much appreciated.

See you in 7 years when a company might actually consider me haha :P

Did you try Travelers on a VTi?

Similar power to an SiR but easier to insure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Bobo78

Right. Tried Britton, straight up flat NO. So thats that, guess I'll have to go for a ****tier model unfortunately. Total sickener really but what can I do. Thanks for all the help anyway lads much appreciated.

See you in 7 years when a company might actually consider me haha :P

Last June when I was changing the car I ring my insurance to try to get a quote for Honda Civic vti or sri with no mods at all and they woudnt give me a quote at all. And I was 21 with 3 years no claim bonus back then :(

I think your gonna have to wait for few years to get older and to get few years no claim bonus to get a quote for that car unfortunately.

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stretch to around 5K and get a new model toyota celica. The insurance would be much easier to get for one of those I suspect and its another one of those cars that I always said I liked. Was considering an old celica but I dont like the "spider" eyes on the front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

as others have said travelers via 123.ie are your best bet

Like you I've 1 years NCB, and a full license - I'm 22 though so that would make a difference

online the only Jap car they'd quote me on was a Vti Civic and the Jordan version

worked out €1100-ish tpft

You might have your heart set on a SiR - but a VTi is what i'd go for,
    plus considering most 18 year olds I know have Corsa's and Fiesta's, it's a lot faster then what most of your friends will have

worth a phone call anyway and it might help too having your dad as a named driver

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stretch to around 5K and get a new model toyota celica. The insurance would be much easier to get for one of those I suspect and its another one of those cars that I always said I liked. Was considering an old celica but I dont like the "spider" eyes on the front.
    You cant get insured on a 1.6 Civic but you think you'll get insured on a 2.0 Celica?

Just get a 1.4 Civic or whatever, start out at the bottom and work your way to the top!

Stop thinking you're gonna get anywhere near a relatively quick car until you're 19 or 20.

For the record, Mods, I wasn't attacking the mod, just the information he has posted about himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

You cant get insured on a 1.6 Civic but you think you'll get insured on a 2.0 Celica?

1.8 ;) - (the OP wanted the newer shaped Celica)

the entry level 140hp is group 13, and the 190hp group 15, same as a VTi Civic

more then likely won't be a jap import either like the SiR, so in theory it should be easier to insure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

1.8 ;) - (the OP wanted the newer shaped Celica)

the entry level 140hp is group 13, and the 190hp group 15, same as a VTi Civic

more then likely won't be a jap import either like the SiR, so in theory it should be easier to insure
    Still :rolleyes:

I would of assumed the Celica was trick enough to insure, AFAIK Quinn wont insure you on a car over 120bhp if you're under a certain age.

I see you're not trying quinn, but the Celica will be VERY pricy to insure at 18.

Just get a 1.4 Civic or whatever, start out at the bottom and work your way to the top!

Stop thinking you're gonna get anywhere near a relatively quick car until you're 19 or 20.

For the record, Mods, I wasn't attacking the mod, just the information he has posted about himself.

yeah got a quote no bother on the celica worked out at just under 2K hence my interest.

• Advertisement

To be completely honest, I'm still totally in the air about what to buy. Ended up getting a quote on the SiR for 3100 which is a little bit out of my reach, although I can't say I was expecting much less. I've been looking at so many types of cars and I'm totally confused now because I've got so many ideas in my head. I'd be totally happy with something thats just fun to drive, won't break and is possibly under €3K or €3.5K to buy.

If anyone has any suggestions of relatively cheaply insured cars I welcome them to enlighten me! It doesn't have to be a rocket; just something around 1.6 to 2.2L. The thing thats stopping me is that I want something reasonably rare. I could have bought a golf or something like that but they just seem so boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

To be completely honest, I'm still totally in the air about what to buy. Ended up getting a quote on the SiR for 3100 which is a little bit out of my reach, although I can't say I was expecting much less. I've been looking at so many types of cars and I'm totally confused now because I've got so many ideas in my head. I'd be totally happy with something thats just fun to drive, won't break and is possibly under €3K or €3.5K to buy.

If anyone has any suggestions of relatively cheaply insured cars I welcome them to enlighten me! It doesn't have to be a rocket; just something around 1.6 to 2.2L. The thing thats stopping me is that I want something reasonably rare. I could have bought a golf or something like that but they just seem so boring.

Be sensible about this.Get yourself something like a focus,build up some NCB and a bit of age and insurance will be much easier in a year or two.

It'll be worth it in the end then.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭retrothis

How about this: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Alfa-Romeo/147/(NCT-02-/200941195445698/advert?channel=CARS
    Not sure about insurance though...but these are fairly rare.....and lovely.

Or: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Renault/Clio/200948195973039/advert?channel=CARS

Or: http://www.autotrader.ie/search/Renault/Clio/172-Spor/200948195972695/advert?channel=CARS
    Decent engine size in both, just with in your price range, slightly over...You might get a quote.

Thanks man I'll have a look at those like the aul alfas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭FunkBlaster87

wow nice clio. What about an mx-5? Rwd and meant to be a hoot to drive. When you get a bit older you could always bolt on a turbo if you wanted more power.

• Advertisement

edited for below.

Actually, I think I'm overlooking how great the mx 5 is. Its only 2K to get insured on one for me. I rarely have more than myself and one more person in the car so I don't think it would be too inconvenient. Hmm you've got me thinking.

I'd be eyeing up a mk2 version ; the ones that arrived in 98-99, they go for under 5k which is pretty good, would love to find one around the 3k mark so I'll keep looking. As long as its not red I don't mind :D

Not sure if you are into tuning or not, but the 90-93 model are probably the easiest to tune. Greddy sell a bolt on turbo for not too much. In fact i think i saw one on autotrader.ie with a turbo already installed.

160bhp in something that weighs around a ton= fun.

Saying this i have never driven an mx5, being a broke student and all, so i have no first hand experiance.

Also something diesel might suit. I always fancied the 3dr Fiat Stilo and they come in a 1.9 diesel

Ah well I know nothing about tuning and stuff like that I'm just not mad about the look of the mk1 mx5 at the front but I suppose for the right price the aesthetics could be ignored as long as the car is in good cond.

well you could do a lot worse than a mx5. Evo magazine rated it very highly in its top 100 driver cars feature.

well you could do a lot worse than a mx5. Evo magazine rated it very highly in its top 100 driver cars feature.
    The MX5 was in the top ten!

Mine was 22 and I thought I was the bee's knees!

Yeah i would love to get one. Well actually i would love to get a car in general. Any car.

Sigh, theres always daydreaming on carzone i suppose.

yeah they are nice yokes alright I'd love to get a hard top.

imported modded old honda - good

insurance - bad

• Advertisement
Advertisement