Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an EK civic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

PM coming your way :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

That Teg is awful looking, and 3k...bit rich isn't it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

I've been told that apparently I may have problems fitting into an mx5 as I'm 6ft 3" :( I hope not!

Anyone ever had a sit in one ? Tight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Convertibles are a scrotes wet dream, some of them will just take a knife to a soft top "for a laugh" Get a hardtop and your sorted though.

I'd go for a Mk1 1.8 from '93-'97.

Better brakes/Diff/Handling/More power/Pop up lights

There's a lovely blue special edition on MX-5 Ireland, sweet deepdish alloys too, really looks the part.

yeah that would have been my main worry from the start. Hardtop looks better too imho makes it more like an S2000

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    That Teg is awful looking, and 3k...bit rich isn't it!!!

Whats awful about it ? Apart from the wheels that is.

Same model of car car, less spec for €4k http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1090870

And yes, they are making that kind of money !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Flyer1 wrote: »

I guess there's some people that don't understand value for money..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Same model of car car, less spec for €4k http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1090870

Its no classic in the making I tell ya that.
    Its worth about 500 euro in reality.

I got a 98 Type R for not far off that, if you spent 4k on that, you'd need your head checked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I've got a DA6 Integra 1.6 DOHC VTEC, good bit quicker than an ek SiR
    I had a DA6 and an EK Civic VTI. I dragged both on many occasions, and the VTI was the noticeably quicker car to 60mph... 8.4 sec vs 7.7 sec. I'd expect an SiR to be quicker than my VTI.

Having said that the DA6 was my favourite car of all cars I've owned.

Something seriously wrong with that DA, or else you're just being gentle ;). Should be doing 0 - 60 in a LOT less than 8.4seconds

I hate sounding like this buuuuuuut, makes me sound like a real scobey
    My buddies 177bhp proven SiR does 0 - 60 in 6.3secs and my DA is leading by 2 - 3 lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Something seriously wrong with that DA, or else you're just being gentle ;). Should be doing 0 - 60 in a LOT less than 8.4seconds

I hate sounding like this buuuuuuut, makes me sound like a real scobey
    My buddies 177bhp proven SiR does 0 - 60 in 6.3secs and my DA is leading by 2 - 3 lengths at the end of the 1/4 mile.

Problem with the DA6 is the close ratio box. It can't do 60mph in 3rd gear, so requires an extra gear change that a VTI doesn't.

From the historical pages on honda.co.jp the DA6 XSI will do 0-100km/h in 7.3 sec, but that's a calculated figure based on gear ratios etc.

Thats with stock a engine and box with factory ratios tho :)

Well in this day and age you can get a lot of car for 3K so I wouldnt be looking to buy something thats older than I am for that amount of money

Thats with stock a engine and box with factory ratios tho :)

Have you had the ratios changed in your gearbox?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Gooleybag

this seams like a decent civic, and easy to insure
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/989824

Gooleybag wrote: »
    this seams like a decent civic, and easy to insure
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/989824

Your name wouldn't be David, would it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

not really the same type of car at all, but when i couldnt get insured on the jap import i wanted (mirage mivec), i looked around, and found a bmw 318is. its post-96, so has the 143bhp m44 engine (which is bulletproof). can look very nice, interior is very comfortable, and is cheap on tax, insurance (only cost me 170 euro more than a punto!), and does 40mpg average if you take it handy.
    parts are also very easy to come by, as parts from any e36 coupe will fit, and GSF have never let me down for new parts!

oh and its RWD ;)

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1057155
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/28/49676828.html
    http://www.gumtree.ie/dublin/08/48695908.html

don't let mileage put you off either. mine has 161k miles, and engine is running perfectly. if you consider it, just be sure the brakes and suspension are ok, as they are prone to rusting, particularly the UK imports.

@ottostreet how are they for a few "loops" ;) ?

ottostreet wrote: »
    not really the same type of car at all, but when i couldnt get insured on the jap import i wanted (mirage mivec), i looked around, and found a bmw 318is. its post-96, so has the 143bhp m44 engine (which is bulletproof). can look very nice, interior is very comfortable, and is cheap on tax, insurance (only cost me 170 euro more than a punto!), and does 40mpg average if you take it handy.
    parts are also very easy to come by, as parts from any e36 coupe will fit, and GSF have never let me down for new parts!

oh and its RWD ;)

don't let mileage put you off either. mine has 161k miles, and engine is running perfectly. if you consider it, just be sure the brakes and suspension are ok, as they are prone to rusting, particularly the UK imports.

Yeah, I never really gave them a thought as my brother had a 318 which ended up blowing a head gasket and having many other problems. Very costly on parts those bmw's. As much as I'd like one I just don't think I'd be willing to risk having to fork out thousands on repairs.

• Advertisement

adamshred wrote: »
    Yeah, I never really gave them a thought as my brother had a 318 which ended up blowing a head gasket and having many other problems. Very costly on parts those bmw's. As much as I'd like one I just don't think I'd be willing to risk having to fork out thousands on repairs.

true, the parts from a main dealer are very expensive, but to put it in perspective.. i needed new disks and pads, went to GSF, got Brembo disks, and Mintex pads...and it came to....270!

servicing is no more expensive than my puntos, assuming you go to an indy, not a dealer. and because the cars are constantly being broken type "e36 breaking" into gumtree or donedeal and see what i mean, parts are easy to come by. even the engines are cheap enough to replace if they go. on the main irish bmw forum, i have seen the same engine (m44...the better, more modern engine) sell for 250 euro, including delivery!
    i would highly recommend them, and would definitely buy one again.

@flyer...yeah they are pretty tail happy, especially in damp or icy conditions...back is very easily manipulated! in the dry, you wont do much though cos there isnt quite enough power.

insurance on the 318 is under 2 grand so thats looking good. As long as that car you linked checks out with the mechanic etc I think i'll snap it up.

At this stage something nippy and good looking like that 318 will do me fine

right. the story continues. No one will quote me on the 318is and despite having my heart set on it, I think I'm gonna have to dream on. I'm gonna start looking for cars that havent been blacklisted by insurance companies like civics have because I'm pulling my hair out trying to get insurance here. Its gonna have to be a 1.6 or under I think, possibly gonna look at focuses and the like. Its a shame but its only for a few years until I come of age to be insured on a real car.

Anyone know any insurable cars for me?! 1.3 to 1.6 I guess, with preference on the latter.

a 316!

same car, but slower!

you're right, ive tried getting online quotes as an 18 year old, and they arent touching me on it. have you tried direct phone calls yeah?

other than that, id suggest something like a 1.6 206 or a 1.5 mitsubishi mirage or something.

106gti =)
    You might get lucky on the insurance!

Maybe not..

ottostreet wrote: »
    a 316!

same car, but slower!

you're right, ive tried getting online quotes as an 18 year old, and they arent touching me on it. have you tried direct phone calls yeah?

other than that, id suggest something like a 1.6 206 or a 1.5 mitsubishi mirage or something.

yeah tried everything man :( thanks for the pm reply too btw!

i was looking at 106's and saxos today they look fun haha

i was looking at 106's and saxos today they look fun haha

Don't know about the rest, the gti and rallye are though, faster than a 318is too :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

anyone else thinking saxo, 106 gti, or a gt turbo? all low engine sizes, and can be easily tuned with good results! With insurance companies you cant really be pussyfooting around when asking them. Most people say you dont get anywhere unless you talk to a supervisor. Also try the 3 refusals trick, although the premium they offer might be horrible ! I know this is the last thing you want to hear but, you're better off starting off in a low key reliable car while you get your experience (and NCB) up. Definately worth it in the long run, i remember when i was 17 with dreams of an Rx7 ha!

Ok, I've got a quote on a 1.4 EK Civic so that'll do me just fine until I get a bit older! I'm going to look at EK's from pro-parts in coolmine and possibly a few different dealers so I'll update with pics when I finally see something that looks good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Ok, I've got a quote on a 1.4 EK Civic so that'll do me just fine until I get a bit older! I'm going to look at EK's from pro-parts in coolmine and possibly a few different dealers so I'll update with pics when I finally see something that looks good :D
    Their EK's are all over priced, go to donedeal.ie and adverts.ie etc.

• Advertisement

what about this one? miles aren't too bad and its going for under 3k on the pro parts site

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1008591

bearing in mind that 96's sometimes go for this much the price didn't look too bad when I saw it.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1095077

Much nicer and for less, with less miles.

thanks man I was kinda put off by sellers far from Dublin but that civic is really nice!

Hopefully the body mods and stuff won't throw the insurance quote all over the place!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1095077

Much nicer and for less, with less miles.

Nicer?

eughhhhhhhhhhh
    reeks of skanger

silver one looks quite clean though, bit overpriced imo

I'm not sure if I'd be able to get to Mayo to see the other one thats the problem. Yeah it possibly is overpriced but its hard to find a decent civic in Dublin that isn't :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

That blue one is rank, silver one is much nicer

I'm not sure if I'd be able to get to Mayo to see the other one thats the problem. Yeah it possibly is overpriced but its hard to find a decent civic in Dublin that isn't :(
    I would of assumed you'd find millions of em.

I'd avoid dealers, I'd be looking at Adverts, Donedeal, Gumtree etc.

1.6 isnt it? Insurance should be higher and that thing is low :eek:

• Advertisement

Thats bloody nice!

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    I would of assumed you'd find millions of em.

I'd avoid dealers, I'd be looking at Adverts, Donedeal, Gumtree etc.

Yeah man I've been looking endlessly at those three sites but nothing seems to be genuinely nice and reasonably priced without looking just a little bit dodgy.

Wreckin my head so it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭kennethk

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1073776

Nice, but needs a bit of TLC!

Don't supoose yer man ever heard of spacers?!

SV wrote: »
    Don't supoose yer man ever heard of spacers?!

Still though its good looking eh? gonna go have a look at it tomorrow and if not i'll be goin to pro parts. At this point price doesn't really matter within reason as long as the car is in tip top shape.

Still though its good looking eh? gonna go have a look at it tomorrow and if not i'll be goin to pro parts. At this point price doesn't really matter within reason as long as the car is in tip top shape.

Wouldn't be my cup of tea now..bit brutal looking if ya ask me
    that could be just down to the wheels though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

SV wrote: »
    Wouldn't be my cup of tea now..bit brutal looking if ya ask me
    that could be just down to the wheels though..

I think the entire car is rough to be honest, The silver one is in Pro Parts is it? Richie from there is a sound lad and its the nicest looking one posted here

yeah i'm going to look at the silver one today I think. It may be slightly over priced ( IDK tbh) but at least its a blank canvas to work with.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

I wouldnt be paying over 2k for a 1.4 civic in todays climate. you could get a DOHC for 3k. Dont rush in, just keep searching around, you can afford to be picky.
    You could buy a pretty standard one for 1.5k and then modify it the way you would like to.

(By the way that white car looks like a bone cruncher and id say you would have a lot of problems with the suspension and steering setup. )

yeah but with years ranging from 96-00 there's a lot of variation with price and tbh I don't think 2k will get me a lot of civic these days.

Its the price bracket from 2.5k to 3.5k that has civics that I'd be willing to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭hi_im_fil

Can you insure an SiR? I know of a mint one being sold but it is a bit above your budget...

DSC_0239.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement