Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an EK civic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

unfortunately i can't man. I went to check out that silver 1.4 in pro parts and its mint so i'm going ahead with that tomorrow once i get the mechanic to give it a good look over. its 3k which is fine for me

Right, more saga, went up to buy the car today with the mechanic who instantly noted that the car had taken a bang on the drivers side, ( the headlamp fitting didn't sit flush with the body of the car and was loose, and bumper was clearly resprayed along with a great deal of filler on the inside of the light. Upon driving the car I noticed that the steering didn't self correct at all it just stayed where i left it, similar to a car with no power steering. The mechanic suspected a bent wishbone or steering column problem so that was that. Lovely looking car, absolute danger on the mechanics side of things.

Big no no for me. Gotta keep lookin now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Ah you win some, you lose some. Thumbs up for the mechanic though!

Yeah jesus he was spot on like a sniffer dog. My opinion of pro parts has plummeted now I mean they obviously knew that this had happened to the car.

Saw another civic there in blue, was checking it out and popped the bonnet to see a disgracefully badly painted rocker cover in bright red which looked like it had been painted with red glue and the honda writing was done in what appeared to be tippex. . pro parts is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭coronaextra

Glad to hear you didnt get caught out! Fair play for taking someone with you.. . anyone reading this take note, There are some dodgy dealers out there!

Was that the silver ek? they were even looking big money for it, some poor unfortuniate will get caught out with it :mad: .

Keep looking and be paitent it will pay off in the long run!

yeah I was extremely lucky . . theres nothing I hate more than a deceitful dealer.

anyway after some more hard work on done deal I spotted this which I'll be viewing on Sunday . . wish me luck!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1078144

shes a beaute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

adamshred wrote: »
    yeah I was extremely lucky . . theres nothing I hate more than a deceitful dealer.

anyway after some more hard work on done deal I spotted this which I'll be viewing on Sunday . . wish me luck!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1078144

shes a beaute
    Wait and you get a heart attack on receiving the new quote once you mention 1.5 VTEC :P

yeah, ah well we'll see eh . . I'm sick of looking at absolutely junky civics with their stupid lexus lights and wolfrace katanas on gumtree and done deal it seems that all the good ones have been taken!

Not to dishearten you or anything, but why are you spending so much on buying a first car?

Just curious, I've a Civic myself and I payed only €1300 for it :)

because I can afford to at the moment. I have enough money for it at the moment and I really love the EK's and its difficult to find one in good knick for cheap.

I don't REALLY want to spend this much on the car but it seems that the only way that I'll find a civic that suits me is by paying a bit extra. Theres so many dime a dozen civics going around that are just horrible so I'm trying to find the perfect one.

Isn't yours an eg civic though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Wait and you get a heart attack on receiving the new quote once you mention 1.5 VTEC :P

And an even bigger fright when he tell them about :K sport coilovers, skunk 2 induction kit and short shifter. 4 branch manifold and HKS back box, cool air intake, rocker cover sprayed crome silver with red honda
    Not to dishearten you or anything, but why are you spending so much on buying a first car?

Just curious, I've a Civic myself and I payed only €1300 for it :)

I agree, but to be fair, how much does has it costed since buying it? You car stands you almost as much as my Teg!!!

because I can afford to at the moment. I have enough money for it at the moment and I really love the EK's and its difficult to find one in good knick for cheap.

I don't REALLY want to spend this much on the car but it seems that the only way that I'll find a civic that suits me is by paying a bit extra. Theres so many dime a dozen civics going around that are just horrible so I'm trying to find the perfect one.

Isn't yours an eg civic though?
    Correct, it's an EG, and non-vtec.
    From 8 months driving it and constantly smiling, I want to move up, which I am in 2 weeks or so I hope, buying an EJ1 Coupe (EK shape coupe) for €1700 in mint condition with 70k on the clock.
    From the day I first got the Civic, I always wanted something quicker, but I was spending money on doing my Civic up, so I had no money at one stage, but I managed to save, and now I can afford the new Civic, with plenty left over. You're gonna have this same thought when and if you buy a Civic for the €3k+ you're spending, and then you'll have no more money.
    I'd seriously advise you to start out with something like mine, cos you're bound to bang it and you don't want to hit a mint Civic you spent €4k on, do you?
    Drive for a few months in a bog standard Civic, get your full license and watch the insurance drop, and VTEC is taken off the banned words list :P

Graham, she stands me a fair amount, and I'm getting a good deal on her when I sell :)

Correct, it's an EG, and non-vtec.
    From 8 months driving it and constantly smiling, I want to move up, which I am in 2 weeks or so I hope, buying an EJ1 Coupe (EK shape coupe) for €1700 in mint condition with 70k on the clock.
    From the day I first got the Civic, I always wanted something quicker, but I was spending money on doing my Civic up, so I had no money at one stage, but I managed to save, and now I can afford the new Civic, with plenty left over. You're gonna have this same thought when and if you buy a Civic for the €3k+ you're spending, and then you'll have no more money.
    I'd seriously advise you to start out with something like mine, cos you're bound to bang it and you don't want to hit a mint Civic you spent €4k on, do you?
    Drive for a few months in a bog standard Civic, get your full license and watch the insurance drop, and VTEC is taken off the banned words list :P

Graham, she stands me a fair amount, and I'm getting a good deal on her when I sell :)

I've had my full license for almost a year and I've been driving for well over a year now man. I'd be happy as larry with a cheap 1.4 thats good looking but I can't seem to find one.

I've had my full license for almost a year and I've been driving for well over a year now man. I'd be happy as larry with a cheap 1.4 thats good looking but I can't seem to find one.
    There's me thinking you were 18 with a learner permit :o

Never mind, get a VTEC :P

But do you have any No Claimers?!

Have you gotten a quote on it yet man?
    Don't get your hopes up...just yet :)

I have 1 years named driver exp so far which is pretty much the maximum that I could have at this point given my age

if anyone sees a good cond. ek in black, silver , white or blue , 1.4 for sale, let me know please ! haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

dont give up bro, took me months to get the right one, you should join dtdirl.com or torque-irl.com you will find EKs for sale plus they will be members cars so you get to check up on how the car progressed and if theres anything wrong with it. have you thought abot importing say from the UK? ill be buying an EG there soon some great deals tp be had, just factor in VRT;) I brought my EK in from japan myself, its so easy. Ill keep an eye out for you. IF what your saying is true about Proparts then im very surprised, ive heard nothing but good stories about them.:confused:

projectgtr wrote: »
    dont give up bro, took me months to get the right one, you should join dtdirl.com or torque-irl.com you will find EKs for sale plus they will be members cars so you get to check up on how the car progressed and if theres anything wrong with it. have you thought abot importing say from the UK? ill be buying an EG there soon some great deals tp be had, just factor in VRT;) I brought my EK in from japan myself, its so easy. Ill keep an eye out for you. IF what your saying is true about Proparts then im very surprised, ive heard nothing but good stories about them.:confused:

Thanks very much man really appreciate all the help I've gotten from everyone from the start of this thread. Well I can only go from what I've seen with pro parts. Richie is a lovely guy he was very helpful but the cars that I looked at were just not great. The shop and everything about the place is excellent and the staff were extremely helpful over the phone and I would recommend pro parts for buying new parts from, but not cars. I suppose I should have included these positives aspects of the place in my first post regarding pro parts! I'd love to import a car in but it seems somewhat risky ? Like you don't know what your getting until its there or are there ways to have them examined?

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.5-3Dr-/201002196545330/advert?channel=CARS
    I know exactly where that Civic is if you want me to show you or anything, it seems clean enough, just needs to be lowered really.

• Advertisement

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.5-3Dr-/201002196545330/advert?channel=CARS
    I know exactly where that Civic is if you want me to show you or anything, it seems clean enough, just needs to be lowered really.

wow man thanks i'll be having a look at that one for sure! haha yeah was going to say it looks like its on stilts at the back.

much appreciated:cool:

edit : I love how the advert says it has a turbo timer haha

Last time I saw that car was yesterday, and pretttyyyy sure it's still in Churchtown, I'll know tomorrow morning for definite anyway.

might go up and take a look at it tomorrow if i have time, and if its actually there haha

might go up and take a look at it tomorrow if i have time, and if its actually there haha
    PM me your number and I'll text ya before 9 tomorrow mornin to let ya know if it's in the garage in Rathfarnham where I saw it last, rather than the Naas Road one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

wow man thanks i'll be having a look at that one for sure! haha yeah was going to say it looks like its on stilts at the back.

much appreciated:cool:

edit : I love how the advert says it has a turbo timer haha

Turbo timers don't have to be on turbo cars. The reason it is on the civic, is so when you are finished your drive and get out of the car, you can have the engine still running for a certain amount of time to let it cool down if you had been giving it a bit of stick! After whatever time you have it programmed to run for, it turns off the engine

Grahamo999 wrote: »
    But do you have any No Claimers?!

Have you gotten a quote on it yet man?
    Don't get your hopes up...just yet :)

I agree with Graham on this.
    When I went to insure my ITR in my own name a few months ago I had serious problems getting a quote. I had been driving it for over a year at this stage. And i'm 26, have full licence for 3 years, no points, and also 3 years named drivers experience!
    After ringing numerous companies and brokers, about 15 phone calls before I even got a quote! They quoted my €3050 fully comp, so that was a definite no. After even more phone calls I eventually got a second quote which was €1600 fully comp which I took.
    My point here is that insurance companies really don't want to know if you are a young male in a honda, especially if it has vtec. So don't get you hopes up, I would be very suprised if you can even get a quote on a vtec to be honest

• Advertisement

Bryn wrote: »
    I agree with Graham on this.
    When I went to insure my ITR in my own name a few months ago I had serious problems getting a quote. I had been driving it for over a year at this stage. And i'm 26, have full licence for 3 years, no points, and also 3 years named drivers experience!
    After ringing numerous companies and brokers, about 15 phone calls before I even got a quote! They quoted my €3050 fully comp, so that was a definite no. After even more phone calls I eventually got a second quote which was €1600 fully comp which I took.
    My point here is that insurance companies really don't want to know if you are a young male in a honda, especially if it has vtec. So don't get you hopes up, I would be very suprised if you can even get a quote on a vtec to be honest

Wow thats really mad considering your age . . looks like we'll be into the next decade before I can get insured on a fast car :(
    Turbo timers don't have to be on turbo cars. The reason it is on the civic, is so when you are finished your drive and get out of the car, you can have the engine still running for a certain amount of time to let it cool down if you had been giving it a bit of stick! After whatever time you have it programmed to run for, it turns off the engine

Ah ok I had no idea about this thanks for enlightening me !

just rang them there and she was sold this afternoon :( fml

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/200944195671307/advert?channel=CARS
    How about this bro looks clean enough nice wheels too, low mileage and a 3 month warranty, thats one of the nicest 1.4s ive seen, a nice set of VTI wheels sprayed black would finish it off. Its a pre-facelift which i think is nicer (but im biast :D) Could be worth a look and im sure theres room for movement.

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300

yea thats real nice just not mad about the black trim and the big black panel behind the numberplate on the back can these be removed/replaced? just because i don't really want to have to buy body kits and stuff and then pay to have them re painted but thats a grand lookin car like

I'm going to look at that one tomorrow early in the morning for sure

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/200944195671307/advert?channel=CARS
    How about this bro looks clean enough nice wheels too, low mileage and a 3 month warranty, thats one of the nicest 1.4s ive seen, a nice set of VTI wheels sprayed black would finish it off. Its a pre-facelift which i think is nicer (but im biast :D) Could be worth a look and im sure theres room for movement.

no-image-large.gif&width=400&height=300
    How the hell can they look for 3k for a 98 1.4 Civic? It's a total rip off, Drafodx Teg is going for 3k...its a year newer and ten times the car.

I know there's no chance of a Type R OP but why spend that much on a slow car when you can get a cheap slow car now, keep your money and buy a quick car in 2 years? If you keep your money you'd get a CTR in two years with a bitta saving on top of your money.

I know you think you'll be happy with a 1.4 and all that, I thought i'd be well happy with the power of my Teg but now I would love more power (the main reason I aint getting it modified is it'd be easier again to get points on the licence!)

• Advertisement

that back panel can be replaced or painted, personally i like it, but hey im not buying it, i love panda style EKs
    How the hell can they look for 3k for a 98 1.4 Civic? It's a total rip off, Drafodx Teg is going for 3k...its a year newer and ten times the car.

I know there's no chance of a Type R OP but why spend that much on a slow car when you can get a cheap slow car now, keep your money and buy a quick car in 2 years? If you keep your money you'd get a CTR in two years with a bitta saving on top of your money.

I know you think you'll be happy with a 1.4 and all that, I thought i'd be well happy with the power of my Teg but now I would love more power (the main reason I aint getting it modified is it'd be easier again to get points on the licence!)

You would probably get it just above 2, but thts not the point, the point is he isnt looking for for a type R as he cant, im affraid cars like mine and yours have been hit hard, draffodx`s teg is an absolute bargain at that price sure a conversion alone would cost that!!!Id buy it if i didnt have my EK.good thing about buying a 1.4 ek now is if he buys anything for it seats coilovers etc he can transfer them when he changes.

Its not really about the money as long as I don't get totally ripped off. This seems to be the going price for these cars and this one has quite low mileage. Either way no matter what car I buy I'll still end up paying around the same price give or take a grand because of insurance so I might as well get something that's nice to look at ( for me anyway) and is reliable and cheap enough to run. There's no car I'd be happier with tbh, it'll be a long time before I can get a fast car anyway ( not that I'm in any great rush to get a FAST car ).

I'll still have enough money to buy a type r in a few years but I predict that I'll want something bigger by then.

I'm currently driving my mam's 00 Punto which is probably worth no more than €1000 (38000 Miles) and in the time I've been driving it it's been in with the head gasket done and everything that goes along with that, a new clutch, a window motor replaced etc. etc. and its cost A LOT of money (1500 or so) to get all this done. This is my main reason for wanting my own car (that and the fact that I dont have to rely on the current car being available etc and for commuting purposes). Now the way I see it if the civic can be just a little bit more reliable than this and cost me a little bit less in the long run, then I'm willing to pay whatever!

When i was buying my first car 4 years ago, there was a Civic around the corner that I drooled over, it was a red 98 one with alloys, absolutely spotless car.

He was looking for 4k for it. That was 4 years ago!

What about this?

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201001196456259

A set of wheels shouldn't add on 1300 quid I'm sure?

wow thats nice! I'll give them a shout about it thanks very much man.

meeting him in the morning to have a look at the silver one there and it just so happens that I have a set of wheels here to fit a civic anyway so that would be perfect!

looks good bro, looks like i just needs a good clean, what wheels you have in mind??

It does look like a nice one all right.

Give it a good check over, but I reckon buying privately will be the only way to go about your Civic, the dealers are clearly not letting these cars devalue.

looks good bro, looks like i just needs a good clean, what wheels you have in mind??

I have these wheels down in the basement that I can throw on for a while

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=154448&cat=all

Ideally I want 15's which could be arranged if I got the car for the right price. I'm actually afraid to do much to the car for the simple reason that its parked on a public road in town so it'd be a scumbag magnet with anything nice on it :(

It does look like a nice one all right.

Give it a good check over, but I reckon buying privately will be the only way to go about your Civic, the dealers are clearly not letting these cars devalue.

Yeah your absolutely right there they should be selling a lot cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

That's rubbish, turbo timers are to keep oil running over the cars turbo after the car is switched off, the same can be accomplished by not boosting on the last few minutes of the journey. So not essential for a turbo car, they do absolutely nothing for an NA. The car is not going to cool down while idling and stationary as there is little airflow to cool the radiator. Notice how some cars overheat when they are left in traffic idling?

Having a turbo timer on a NA car just shows that you're clueless.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    That's rubbish, turbo timers are to keep oil running over the cars turbo after the car is switched off, the same can be accomplished by not boosting on the last few minutes of the journey. So not essential for a turbo car, they do absolutely nothing for an NA. The car is not going to cool down while idling and stationary as there is little airflow to cool the radiator. Notice how some cars overheat when they are left in traffic idling?

Having a turbo timer on a NA car just shows that you're clueless.

You are actually showing that you are the clueless one in this situation.

Firstly, I don't have a turbo timer and I have no need for one. In general, they are fairly useless on NA cars, but on the likes of track/race cars they can be useful. As a track car is always being revved highly, when you come in, if you have a turbo timer, you don't need to let the oil return to normal operating temperature, you can let the turbo timer do it for you, as in general, once you come off the track you will be getting out of the car and not driving it normally for a few minutes to let it return to the normal operating temperature.

Secondly, a car should not overheat while sitting in traffic. This shows there is a problem with the car. This is what the fan is for. I could leave my car sitting outside for an hour running and not move it and it would not overheat, it will not go over operating temperature.

As i said, in general there is not much need for a NA car to have a turbo timer, but there are times when they are useful.

• Advertisement

I'm with Bryn on this one...But all I can go by is what i've heard. Letting the car run for a min or two before turning the ignition off and letting it cool down is a good idea, like he says after a track day (or some spitited M1 driving)

I'd never bother with one now to be fair!

Went to look at a few more civics today and by god they were junkers. I'm going out of my mind!

Went to look at a few more civics today and by god they were junkers. I'm going out of my mind!
    That silver one was bad yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

You are actually showing that you are the clueless one in this situation.

Look lad, wasn't trying to insult, just think they're pointless. Obviously a car should be able to idle until the fuel runs out without issue, but if there is a problem with the cooling system it's normally found out when a car is idling for a while in traffic, engine starts overheating, steam comes out the bonnet etc.

Most cars get hotter at a standstill than they would whilst moving, though I will concede there might be a point for having them on an NA race car, I've never heard of anyone doing this

That silver one was bad yeah?

That's one that I haven't been to see yet the guy was busy today going to check that one out tomorrow so I'll update once I check it out.

There seems to be so many POS civics floating about its mind boggling.

That's one that I haven't been to see yet the guy was busy today going to check that one out tomorrow so I'll update once I check it out.

There seems to be so many POS civics floating about its mind boggling.
    Out of curiousity, what makes the one's you looked at really bad?

There has to be a good few well minded examples floating round

Out of curiousity, what makes the one's you looked at really bad?

There has to be a good few well minded examples floating round

Well one I was looking at today had broken glass all over the floor, the whole inside of the door panel ripped out, the plastic cover where the ignition is was missing, torn seats etc etc,

Another was running on steelies and looked like it was ready for the scrapyard.

Oh and I've found that many people are trying to pass off the cars as having 100,000km, where in actual fact it's 100,000 Miles

Well one I was looking at today had broken glass all over the floor, the whole inside of the door panel ripped out, the plastic cover where the ignition is was missing, torn seats etc etc,

Another was running on steelies and looked like it was ready for the scrapyard.

Oh and I've found that many people are trying to pass off the cars as having 100,000km, where in actual fact it's 100,000 Miles

Dont go slagging steelies they looks sweet with a drop ;)

fdg.jpg

Seriously though did you check out the white one i posted? Im going looking at BZRs tomorrow in a few places if i see any ill take some pics and get prices for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Just spotted this on donedeal doesnt look bad. 1.5 VTEC so it should be SOHC right?!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1108513

• Advertisement

Dont go slagging steelies they looks sweet with a drop ;)

fdg.jpg

Seriously though did you check out the white one i posted? Im going looking at BZRs tomorrow in a few places if i see any ill take some pics and get prices for you.

Yeah man it was the white one that had the glass etc ! haha those lads in spawell motors are a pack of chancers. They told me someone offered them 2600 for the car, I wouldn't have given them half that!

Those steelies don't look half bad either :eek:

Thanks man I appreciate it! My dad wants to have a look at this one for me tomorrow while I'm working http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200949196108677

looks pretty clean and unabused so here's hoping!

Good luck with levin hunting too !

Advertisement