Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying an EK civic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭adamshred

Testament1 wrote: »
    Just spotted this on donedeal doesnt look bad. 1.5 VTEC so it should be SOHC right?!

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1108513

Yeah man but its in Galway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

adamshred wrote: »
    Yeah man but its in Galway :(

Well if the search in Dublin doesnt go too well Galways not that far away.:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Yeah man it was the white one that had the glass etc ! haha those lads in spawell motors are a pack of chancers. They told me someone offered them 2600 for the car, I wouldn't have given them half that!

Those steelies don't look half bad either :eek:

Thanks man I appreciate it! My dad wants to have a look at this one for me tomorrow while I'm working http://cars.motornet.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200949196108677

looks pretty clean and unabused so here's hoping!

Good luck with levin hunting too !

Ah bummer that white one looked sweet, yeah steelies can look sweet on the right car plus you wont have people trying to rob them.

On that silver one above just check the rear for damage, i could be wrong but i thought facelift models were supposed to have a rear bumper with no rub strips, also they come with rear lights with a white section this one has one facelift rear light and one pre-facelift rear light, it may be nothing but just check it out none the less ;)

The BZR not for me its for a mate ive got an EK allready if you havent guessed :D

1Lastontheferry.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

^^ mmmm R888's :cool:

Flyer1 wrote: »
    ^^ mmmm R888's :cool:

Well spotted, this was on the ferry on the way to the Nurburgring :D hence the R888s:cool:

• Advertisement

i've just been looking at japanese export places and the prices seem pretty reasonable indeed!

how much are we talking to get the car over here and registered etc?

is the whole process worth the time and effort or would I be better off buying here?

For importing you need to check out the VRT,customs and excise and VAT, not 100% if its worth while now importing from japan, importing from the UK would make more sense imo. the thing about japanese cars is they tend to be well looked after but they do come with increased insurance premiums. importing from the UK all you need to do is VRT it.

projectgtr wrote: »
    For importing you need to check out the VRT,customs and excise and VAT, not 100% if its worth while now importing from japan, importing from the UK would make more sense imo. the thing about japanese cars is they tend to be well looked after but they do come with increased insurance premiums. importing from the UK all you need to do is VRT it.

yeah man thanks I'll have a look at some UK ones. I haven't really got time to be travelling around thats why I'm looking around dublin and looking to import :rolleyes:

Was looking at this one my dad went to view it and said it looked clean etc http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Civic/1.4-I-(N/200949196108677/advert?channel=CARS

bit on the dear side so definitely wouldn't be paying full price but it seems to fit all my criteria e.g engine size, colour , nct'd etc

I really like that silver one bro, but like i said word of caution check the rear for damage, could just be a bad mod or something but the rear doesnt make sense with one prefacelift and one facelift light and a pre facelift bumper, doesnt make sense, but if its mechanically sound with no damage just use that knowledge to get some extra discount on it ;)

PS love the vti wheels, sprayed black they would look super sweet

I really like that silver one bro, but like i said word of caution check the rear for damage, could just be a bad mod or something but the rear doesnt make sense with one prefacelift and one facelift light and a pre facelift bumper, doesnt make sense, but if its mechanically sound with no damage just use that knowledge to get some extra discount on it ;)

PS love the vti wheels, sprayed black they would look super sweet

jesus your sharp I wouldn't have spotted that at all! well in saying that I didn't even know that there were pre facelift and facelift rear light changes :confused: thanks again!

I'm not sure if i'll be able to get the dealer down to a price that i'd be satisfied with on this one though thats the only problem just because the asking price is so high

• Advertisement

So that greyish one is an EJ9 and I had a drive in it today and I can't complain at all about it. There are some minor dinges and some small problems that the guy said he would have fixed. I'm going up with the mechanic in the morning to get the engine checked out so here's hoping again!

The speedometer wasn't working but I was told that would be fixed before the sale. I'll be paying 2500 for the car or else I won't be buying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Speedo not working...that'd turn me off straight away.

Could be clocked...or probably is

ah ffs this is unbelieveable! Is there an honest bloody car dealer in this country?!

Could it not be something simple like a speedo cable or a sensor?

I cant say for certain obviously but a broken speedo is enough for me to walk away.

What year is it? And whats on the clock?

it's 1999 with 79K miles

it's 1999 with 79K miles
    Thats...79/11 = about 7k a year...could be genuine but I wouldn't trust it.

My car had 93k when I got it, it's a 98 but it has a FSH with documented milage

well I'll ask for proof of mileage or something along those lines.

I had a drive in the car and everything seems tip top though all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Not to jack in, but should mention I looked at the EK Coupe I'm hopefully buying soon :)

Seems damn cleannnnn =D

Not gonna post it for obvious reasons ;)

But good luck, and isn't an EJ9 a Jap, and insurance shall be el bollocko on you?

No according to the insurer it didn't matter whether it was imported or not on whatever policy this was but I'll check it up again before I go ahead with it.

Yeah man the coupes are in abundance over here but they just don't do it for me like the hatches do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

No according to the insurer it didn't matter whether it was imported or not on whatever policy this was but I'll check it up again before I go ahead with it.

Yeah man the coupes are in abundance over here but they just don't do it for me like the hatches do.

It would definitely make a difference, imports generally have less safety and security spec and often have specific parts that need to be imported when needing replacing so will be more expensive to fix than an Irish/uk spec car

• Advertisement

May I ask which insurer said this, AdamShred? I'd love to know who insures Jap Imports so easily?

What was your quote if you may divulge?

jesus your sharp I wouldn't have spotted that at all! well in saying that I didn't even know that there were pre facelift and facelift rear light changes :confused: thanks again!

I'm not sure if i'll be able to get the dealer down to a price that i'd be satisfied with on this one though thats the only problem just because the asking price is so high
    Just use it if you can, ask him why is there a pre-facelift bumper on a facelift model and why the lights dont match, make sure to get your mechanic to check the spare wheel area for damage or dampness, at the end of the day if its mechanically sound go with it but use this to move on the price.
    Grahamo999 wrote: »
    Speedo not working...that'd turn me off straight away.

Could be clocked...or probably is
    Could simply be a faulty VSS sensor, went on mine too 10 euro to sort and fixed with one screw, 2 min job, like i said check the car over if its mechanically sound and all the documentation looks good go with it

May I ask which insurer said this, AdamShred? I'd love to know who insures Jap Imports so easily?

What was your quote if you may divulge?

insure.ie said it on the phone to my father and when questioned again for confirmation this was re affirmed to us. Now I was as surprised to hear this as the next person but its what I heard from the insurer!

My quote worked out at 1500 ish fully comp.
    Just use it if you can, ask him why is there a pre-facelift bumper on a facelift model and why the lights dont match, make sure to get your mechanic to check the spare wheel area for damage or dampness, at the end of the day if its mechanically sound go with it but use this to move on the price.

Could simply be a faulty VSS sensor, went on mine too 10 euro to sort and fixed with one screw, 2 min job, like i said check the car over if its mechanically sound and all the documentation looks good go with it

OK, I've been to see the car and after thorough inspection, I wasn't satisfied. The engine etc. was running fine as confirmed by the mechanic but there was too much wrong with the car for my liking. The passenger seat rails were totally loose and the spare wheel area had a 3 inch deep pool of water on it, and the back seats were wet with some minor mildew. Way too expensive for the car that was in it considering its completely base model. No electrics or anything like.

I offered 2500 at absolute maximum and they were willing to take it but they weren't giving me the 2 new tyres that it needed with that deal. I'm glad that I didn't buy that one because I feel as though I would have been kicking myself within a week or two having bought it.

Also, both bumpers didn't match up exactly with the body paint colour which is another reason for concern.

I just got the feeling that the dealer didn't give a f*** whatsoever, which was probably true.

I'm checking out something else tomorrow morning which is a bit different but I won't say until tomorrow what it is :P

insure.ie said it on the phone to my father and when questioned again for confirmation this was re affirmed to us. Now I was as surprised to hear this as the next person but its what I heard from the insurer!

My quote worked out at 1500 ish fully comp.

OK, I've been to see the car and after thorough inspection, I wasn't satisfied. The engine etc. was running fine as confirmed by the mechanic but there was too much wrong with the car for my liking. The passenger seat rails were totally loose and the spare wheel area had a 3 inch deep pool of water on it, and the back seats were wet with some minor mildew. Way too expensive for the car that was in it considering its completely base model. No electrics or anything like.

I offered 2500 at absolute maximum and they were willing to take it but they weren't giving me the 2 new tyres that it needed with that deal. I'm glad that I didn't buy that one because I feel as though I would have been kicking myself within a week or two having bought it.

Also, both bumpers didn't match up exactly with the body paint colour which is another reason for concern.

I just got the feeling that the dealer didn't give a f*** whatsoever, which was probably true.

I'm checking out something else tomorrow morning which is a bit different but I won't say until tomorrow what it is :P

Had a feeling about the dampness, post up any more your looking at and ill try help you if i can, was out saturday but there was a serious lack of civics, only seen 2 CTRs not even an SiR :confused: ill keep my eye out for you man.

this one looks the business - http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1118612

in clare though, would you be able to travel to view it?

draffodx wrote: »

Clare is the new Carlow :cool:

Thats a very clean looking car. Clare is a good spin though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Love the civics in that colour (supesonic blue :P). My civic was that colour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Clare is the new Carlow :cool:

What does that even mean?
    Thats a very clean looking car. Clare is a good spin though

That car is in Shannon,which is about 10 minutes away from Limerick.Dublin to Limerick is a easy spin,Nenagh bypass is open now and the motorway from Nenagh to Birdhill should be open in a few weeks.

• Advertisement

What does that even mean?

Sorry thats my fault, posted Carlow in my original post of the link to the car instead of Clare and MidNight_Eg was highlighting that, I edited his post then to reflect the change in my own and was supposed to post a comment saying this, sorry :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Sorry thats my fault, posted Carlow in my original post of the link to the car instead of Clare and MidNight_Eg was highlighting that, I edited his post then to reflect the change in my own and was supposed to post a comment saying this, sorry :o

Ya fecking eejit ya :D

Ya fecking eejit ya :D

look there, I had to do it again! Time for bed!

No capital n in my name :P

And damn you and your edits, I was happy, then you ruined it =[ :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

It would definitely make a difference, imports generally have less safety and security spec and often have specific parts that need to be imported when needing replacing so will be more expensive to fix than an Irish/uk spec car

I don't know how it is for Hondas, but I have zero difficulty getting parts for my Levin BZ-R from Toyota main dealers, even apart from that there are tonnes of import cars being broken all over the country.

You're right about the security, most Jap cars have none, but due to the stringent Japanese car tests ( or shaken), many fresh imports will be in a lot better condition than Irish cars

The car search has ended.

19772_257741586341_509756341_336-1.jpg

19772_258184411341_509756341_337066.jpg

Thanks to everyone for their input on the search really appreciated it!

Its an amazing car. Phew!

• Advertisement

More pics to follow tomorrow :D

STI?!

STI?!

yeah man cheap insurance because its an estate. Go to 123.ie or insure.ie and put in a forester i guarantee its under 1000 euro!

i swear to god this is 4 or 5 seconds to 60. its an automatic so its a real cruiser.
    its suede interior, fully electric, a/c , everything like way better deal than the civic cost me just a little bit over 4k.

yeah man cheap insurance because its an estate. Go to 123.ie or insure.ie and put in a forester i guarantee its under 1000 euro!

i swear to god this is 4 or 5 seconds to 60. its an automatic so its a real cruiser.
    its suede interior, fully electric, a/c , everything like way better deal than the civic cost me just a little bit over 4k.
    Thats sweet man, well done. I'd say she's quick alright.

Take it handy with it though, thats a lorra power for a first car

Dude wtf :P

I want a Civic lah lah lah I GOT A FORESTER!!!!!!!

:pac:

• Advertisement

haha yeah what can I say?! Things change :p I couldn't be happier with the car. A friend of mine whose mother works in an insurance company just suggested an estate to me and within a day or two I found my baby :cool:

I've had it checked by a mechanic, a friend who had two imprezas, and another mechanic and they all said that she's sweet as a nut so thats enough for me!

I, like you, wanted a fast car and the big turn off was insurance, eventually I become old enough to insure my Teg for a reasonable price...but then I discovered the real expence in driving a fast car...Petrol!!! :D

I'd say she'll be heavy on it! Hope ya love it dude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

wee bit less performance then the normal impreza as you'd expect but they are a tank... If you drive this for a year or two, and are looking for an upgrade... Get a nissan stagea... Nissan skyline running gear in an estate...

Needless to say Almost anything at the lights wont know what it is, namely when your pulling away.

Sweet car though. Alot of poke for a fat yoke.

I'd imagine its an import?

If so has it been remapped?

Is it the one with the EJ20 engine? 238bhp(on japanese fuel)?

If so make sure you mind it! either get it mapped for Irish fuel or use only maxols e5 + octane booster until you get it remapped.

Subaru engines are known to be soft and require a serious amount of minding. make sure you find out what is the correct oil for it and change it every 3k - 4k miles along with the oil filter.

Also make sure you drive it properly, let it warm up properly before engaging the turbo and let it cool down properly too.

But good luck with it, keep it between the ditchs, mind it and get a few more pics up

Well i assume its been remapped because the previous owner said it was 280bhp and he was a pretty genuine guy so it possibly is remapped but I never asked him. I can only make the assumption that the car has gained the extra power with a remap, and on top of that, I can't imagine the unmapped engine being this vicious!

It really is a pleasure to be in though there's not much that I'd change about the car.

Gonna get some pics in a while!

This the one you bought?:

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1116915

If so then she looks nice and clean, big change from a Civic!:cool:

Well i assume its been remapped because the previous owner said it was 280bhp and he was a pretty genuine guy so it possibly is remapped but I never asked him. I can only make the assumption that the car has gained the extra power with a remap, and on top of that, I can't imagine the unmapped engine being this vicious!

It really is a pleasure to be in though there's not much that I'd change about the car.

Gonna get some pics in a while!
    I think that Draffo means has it been mapped for our fuel not mapped for power gains.

Ypu should really check because if it hasn't, it could be very bad.

thats her yeah its soo clean inside

I think that Draffo means has it been mapped for our fuel not mapped for power gains.

Ypu should really check because if it hasn't, it could be very bad.

ok guys will do ASAP.

A good buy! What wheels are on it by the way? They look well on it

• Advertisement
Advertisement