Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inferno Ranbat Survey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

€10 and best of 5.

The payout is the least important thing I think at this stage. Just make sure people attend and make it easy for them to do so.

Really enjoyed the last battle even though I couldn't stay too long. Will be at the next one for the long haul.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Kirby wrote: »
    I understand preference for a console due to your controller, but preferences over tv's are over the top. We are all in there, playing on the same equipment.

I am 100% sure there is lag on those walker TVs, some more than others, specifically number 4 that me and bro & Jim were using for casuals. (And no-one had said it to us, there was no placebo effect, we all nearly straight away commented on the input lag after a round or two.)

When I played a few sets on the PS3, the difference is very noticeable.

I'm happy enough to play my sets on the majority xbox machines, but I won't be playing on xbox 4 if possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Kirby wrote: »
    Everybody is in the same boat

Ye, everybody is in the same boat but why be in the boat with the hole in it when you can be in a good boat? :D
    I just think if both are playing on stick they are better off playing on ps3. Id never blame loosing a match on tv but playing on some of those tvs feels weird to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

At lanparty I played on a PS3 (for the first time) with someone else's TE and it was fine, can't say it affected my game at all! So for me as long as you can get the same controller you are used the console shouldnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Leprekaun wrote: »
    Something I was thinking about for the groups is maybe just assign each top seed to a different group (which I'm sure you lads have done already) but instead of drawing names for the different groups, just put the names down based on the registration list so for example if it were in groups of 5 (bush + registrants 1-4 / blag + registrants 5-9 etc.) because it more the drawing that takes up wasted time.

The only issue I see with this is that people who arrive together (friends, house-mates or whatever) would end up registering together and thus being drawn in the same group which they probably wouldn't want. You would have to randomise it somehow.

Overall I feel that 15 euro is ok, considering that 5 euro of that is for rental. What I normally do is to get as many casuals in as possible so that I feel like there was some value for money in the rental price. As for the format, I too would like to see 3 sets in the groups although I know that time is an issue.

Maybe you could start the groups earlier (3 sets) and people who arrive late would form a "late group". The winner of the late group would enter the 3rd place playoff group for a chance to enter the knockout brackets. That punishment would deter late comers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Sagat06 wrote: »
    At lanparty I played on a PS3 (for the first time) with someone else's TE and it was fine, can't say it affected my game at all! So for me as long as you can get the same controller you are used the console shouldnt matter.

It's not the consoles people have issues with, it's the cheap tellies the XGC have hooked up to their 360s.

Has anyone tried getting in to the menu of those tellies to see if any "enhancement features" can be switched off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

It's not the consoles people have issues with, it's the cheap tellies the XGC have hooked up to their 360s.

Has anyone tried getting in to the menu of those tellies to see if any "enhancement features" can be switched off?

Well no, as Bush was saying the Playstations are played on Sony TV's which the general concensus (I dont know I havent used them) seems to be are of a better quality with less lag than the Walker TV's used with the Xbox's.

So my reply is if I had to use a Playstation to remove this problem I wouldn't mind, providing I had access to a TE. The problem for me, as Cobelcog eluded to in an earlier post would be if I was forced to use an unfamiliar controller.

My worry would be what if Cobelcog (360 pad player) comes up against Sisko (PS3 pad player, IIRC) come up against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I think the input lag is only on certain Xbox TVs. I've heard people complain about it before but never held the same opinion, then I played on one of the TV's against the wall I'd never played on before and something was definitely funky about it, I found it really off putting. But then when I went back to playing on the ones in the centre of the room they were fine.

[EDIT] Exactly what A-Trak said above[/EDIT]

Ye some seem fine and others are terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭blag

bush wrote: »
    Ye some seem fine and others are terrible

Yeah,some seem far worse than others.The one you and I played the final on in August was terrible but the one Kirby and I played our match on at the weekend seemed fine and the one the losers/winners finals were played on seemed ok too.

My preference though would be to play on the ps3's,I played two matches on them with Azza'a TE and they are the way to go if both players can use their preffered controller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Red350 wrote: »
    I also think best of 5 rounds for group stages is a good compromise.

I find that best of 5 rounds are off putting in a way. I mean for a tourney. Anyway I remember at lanparty the early rounds were meant to be one set best of 5.

But when me and Cobelcog had our game we just said fuck it and played best of 3 sets , set to 3 rounds instead.

We were not delaying anyone. Was still loads of waiting around going on before the next game. I really don't think it'll add all that much to the time unless we're in a situation where theres a lack of consoles. Which we're usually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

If we have time for it, I'm all for best of 3 sets, but as I've already said, best of 5 just seems like a good compromise.

It's definitely different in the way you manage your meter, but it just feels fairer having the extra round or 2 to adjust to someone's playstyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭DeCoR18

Alright lads I'm definately in for the next one it seems like too much craic to miss :D

As far as I'm aware I'm the highest ranked Irish player on PSN in GP(44,000) as I see no Irish flags above me but of course all that means is I have lots of free time as bush proved when I played him recently :cool: (This sounded less ghey in my head lol)

My preferences for dates would be the 2nd or 16th or whenever in January since basically I'm just keen to play.

Next controversial comment :D is no character bannings. Last weekend I played DJDelValle number one player on PSN over 27 games of about 7 he played Dic which I beat 5-2 with Akuma, the rest were Seth he beat me around 15-5. He is in my opinion and Capcom's Seth Killian ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKxdcgZD2QU) far and away the most overpowered character in the game when played at a high level.

So just throwing that out there.

Would prefer best 2 out of 3 in groups but if necessary for time 1 is obviously fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Some stupid questions :)

Ingame binding is that sticking a special move to a button press?

if the tounry takes 6 hours why not have it in a pub with a few other consoles running other games for the "waiters".

i am very interested in seeing how these things work so shall be attending the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

dreamers75 wrote: »

if the tounry takes 6 hours why not have it in a pub with a few other consoles running other games for the "waiters".

i am very interested in seeing how these things work so shall be attending the next one.

Actually the pub beside the Stephens green shoppin centre will let ya do that, I went there for a GH session, they got a projector set up too and ya can hook a ps3 xbox to it... Its not a bad idea at all... Just I havent been in there in a while so not sure about projectors n such!

^That sounds like a good laugh unless theres under agers that attend I obviously don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

im gauging the seriousness of it all with the pub aspect. Assume some people take these things very seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

It just means you can change your controls via the normal method in game. Binding light kick to a different button etc. The in game method also allows you bind focus attack etc to a certain button, but not character specific special moves.

A pub isn't really practical as 8 - 10 people would need to bring in consoles and displays and you'd also need a find a pub that would let us set them up for the day! But if it did happen that way I'd be more than happy :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

im gauging the seriousness of it all with the pub aspect. Assume some people take these things very seriously.

Oh yeah, deathly serious...

The main prob with a pub is we'd need one which woul let us set up 4 or 5 machines.

That said I am going to ask a publican I know. Even then, Im pretty sure we'd want them seperate to the inferno ranbats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

edit: Sorry decor thought you were XBL.

• Advertisement

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    edit: Sorry decor thought you were XBL.

No problem like I said just displays how much free time I have more than anything really :D

DeCoR18 wrote: »
    No problem like I said just displays how much free time I have more than anything really :D

Na,your the best akuma ive played anyway. Ya dont have to worry about seth, no one plays that prick seriously anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

@Foamy:Projectors would lag so badly, it'd be like playing a 1-bar match online!

Ya dont have to worry about seth, no one plays that prick seriously anyway :D

:(

:pac:

Sorry didnt think you were playing him seriously.
    Did you not play him for about 2 days before the comp? Are you sticking with him?

Na,your the best akuma ive played anyway. Ya dont have to worry about seth, no one plays that prick seriously anyway :D

Thanks man likewise with Blanka/Chun/Rufus I'm serious when I say that too. Like thats not an easy task with 3 different characters.

Ha ha I wouldn't really want him banned but I suppose its the idea thats been going around lately that Seth is mid tier, I just have a problem with that idea lol.

Please win the next get together so I don't look like such a twat complaining about a character.

I never got the Sagat complaining but I suppose I main Akuma which could be Sagats only bad match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    @Foamy:Projectors would lag so badly, it'd be like playing a 1-bar match online!

Depends on the projector. I play all my games on a huge 100 incher at home and it works grand. Get what you pay for and all that.

And the idea is not to play on projector anyway. Like at evo, they just put it on a splitter for the crowd and the matches are played on the smaller televisions.

Bit of a nightmare to organise in a pub wouldnt it be though? XGC has the consoles set up already. For the extreme lazy person like me, that setup is hard to beat. :p

:pac:

Sorry didnt think you were playing him seriously.
    Did you not play him for about 2 days before the comp? Are you sticking with him?

I did only play for about two days before the comp with Seth, so naturally got whipped, but yeah he's way more fun than Honda so I'm sticking with him.
    Ha ha I wouldn't really want him banned but I suppose its the idea thats been going around lately that Seth is mid tier, I just have a problem with that idea lol.

Any character when played to perfection could be considered godly, but one mistimed j.FP that gets countered leaves Seth in big, big trouble. I'd still say he's either just inside high tier or right at the top of mid, but no chance is he top tier.
    Please win the next get together so I don't look like such a twat complaining about a character

Not likely to happen, but I'll have fun trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Not all.
    But going HD would be out.

Advertisement