Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pano Head for Manfrotto 785B

• 09-12-2009 7:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭

I was thinking of getting a pano head.
    I have a Manfrotto 785B tripod and was hoping to get a head that would fit on this.
    Can anyone recommend a good pano head that is compatable? And cheap as well of course:D

I found this on the Manfrotto website but it is descibed as a 3 way/pan-tilt heads here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Which head have you on the Manfrotto at the moment ? Ballhead or 3 way head ? Unless you really really need the precision I wouldn't regard those pano heads as something particularly useful, they only have one axis of movement by the looks of things, and you have to stick either another head on the top or a quick release plate of some description. I'd say a good ballhead with a seperate panoramic axis and lock might be more useful.

Actually, just looking at descriptions of that 785 online, it looks as though the head can't be replaced ? Most Manfrottos' can, but this looks like a low-end model, the head is an integral part of the tripod. So if you want to do the above you'll have to invest in an entirely new tripod and get the appropriate head with it, most likely a ball head as mentioned above with the seperate pano axis. Did you check the prices of those panoramic heads you reference ? They're about 4 times more expensive than what you payed for your entire tripod :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭zdooldreb

I have taken the head off.
    Yes I realise they are dear but I was hoping to get a pano head to put on my tripod and that way it would be less expensive than buying a brand new tripod. I bought the model I have because it is light weight but robust, easier to carry around than a higher spec one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a manfrotto 303-sph + a leveling base for doing panormics

its designed really for 360 degree stuff, but if its landscape type stuff you aim to do you wont need it

the head you mention is actually only part of the 303-sph, and wont allow you to do proper 360 degree stuff like interiors

you need to be able to rotate the camera around the nodal point of the lens, which basically means a bigger and much much heavier head

i wouldnt put it on anything less than my 055 tripod

smaller tripods will move etc when rotating the camera on the head etc which will cause you all sorts of problems

zdooldreb wrote: »
    I have taken the head off.

Oh right, good stuff. Well if it just has that standard plate with a mounting screw (3/8" ?) then you should be good to go. As I said above, that pano head certainly looks as though it'll do the job, but I stick by my recommendation of a mid range ball head instead, should do much the same job and be more versatile in other circumstances.

And yeah, tell me about it, I have a heavier manfrotto which doesn't get out as much as it should because it's a complete PITA to carry around. And a tripod that you're not going to carry around is as good as no tripod at all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement