Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Fiorentina [Match Thread] Aquilani to start

• 09-12-2009 9:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭

Game is on Setanta Ireland

Ok may be a dead rubber but I'm still excited to see Aquilani start and fingers crossed one or two of the youngsters to get a run.

Pretty much confirmed is Aquilani to start and see how long he gets, Torres to come on as a second half-sub and Gerrard may feature for some bit dependent on a fitness test. Also sounds like Cavalieri to start and N'gog to start as well. Also sounds like Masch will be deployed alongside Aquilani as a minder with Pepe,Lucas and Insua all rumoured to be in line for a rest as well.

Based on this we might see something like the line-up below

Cavalieri
    -Kelly--Skrtel-Agger--Aurelio-
    Masch--Aquilani
    -Babel---Gerrard---Benayoun-
    Ngog

Subs: Reina, Gerrard, Torres, Dossena, Kyrgiakos, Pacheco, Darby

Don't know if some of the rested players will be on the bench or will be completely rested. Trying to figure out exactly what Rafa will do in situations like tonight can lead to madness. Anyway had a stab at what I'd do below; will see how well I get on.

Cant see any reason to have someone like Reina on the bench. If Cava (Fowler forbid) does pick up an injury, I don't think it would be very smart to have Pepe coming on to replace him in a meaningless game. Much prefer to have someone like Hansen as sub keeper tonight - I think Gulacsi is ineligible for CL and hasnt been at the club long enough to make the B list- not 100% sure on this.

I'd also completely rest Carra and Kuyt and not even have them on the bench. I'd be pretty close to resting Johnson completely as well and maybe having Darby on the bench [with Degen ineligible]

With Insua and Carra rested, give Skrtel game time alongside Agger with Krygiakos on the bench. Start Aurelio as LB ahead of Dossena (although this might be close enough). I'd play Babel on the right (the options here once Kuyt and El Zhar(ineligible) are taken out of the equation are pretty slim) and have Benayoun ahead of Dossena on the left. I have a feeling Gerrard might start on the bench (as possible Aquilani sub when he is replaced). Would really like to see Pacheco get a run even if only a cameo, but things could be tricky with the Aquilani/Gerrard/Torres situation. Both Kelly and Pacheco were training with the first team the last few days, so fingers crossed. Riera is the only one who I think is an injury doubt but not 100% on this.

On the opposition don't really know how Fiorentina are going to treat this but should be an interesting one.
    Alberto Aquilani prepares for his first Liverpool start – four months on
    • Fernando Torres likely to appear in the second half
    • Reina, Lucas and Insúa to miss Fiorentina dead rubber
    Andy Hunter The Guardian, Wednesday 9 December 2009 Article history

Liverpool host not another death-or-glory Champions League crusade tonight but a dead rubber, a witness to underachievement from which there is no hiding. The competition's anthem will sound at Anfield for the final time this season and Rafael Benítez gets to shuffle his pack because the job is gone, not done. A non-event? Not in the case of Alberto Aquilani.

The Italy midfielder will make his full Liverpool debut against Fiorentina almost four months after his £20m arrival as Xabi Alonso's replacement. In that time he has recovered from ankle surgery, contracted a virus in the aftermath of his first senior appearance against Arsenal in the Carling Cup and, with the exception of one minute in the past four matches since his return to full training, sat on the bench.

His time at Anfield has been one of endurance and frustration so great his father has spoken out on his behalf, with the midfielder's return too late to save Liverpool in the Champions League. Aquilani's story mirrors that of his new club's season, but Benítez remains adamant the wait will be worthwhile.

"I think the fans will get to see the best of Aquilani this season. It is a question of time," said the Liverpool manager, who plans to rest Lucas Leiva against the Group E leaders and deploy the 25-year-old Italian alongside Javier Mascherano in central midfield.

"Only yesterday he scored an amazing goal in training. We had two. Fabio Aurélio scored with a volley from 30 metres and then Aquilani scored with a left-footed chip over [José] Reina. It was very, very good, and he showed touches of quality. His movement on the pitch is very clever but there are things he needs to improve, like tackling. We want to use him as much as we can this season, starting against Fiorentina."

Benítez's handling of Aquilani in recent weeks, however, has appeared obstinate, not careful, as the manager claimed, with Liverpool not only desperate for results but also inspiration. The Spaniard has achieved the strange result of dampening initial expectations of the former Roma player while ensuring the spotlight will follow his every touch against Fiorentina. But Benítez will not deviate from that course.

"One of the problems we had was that we were watching him training every single day and the people were expecting to see him on the pitch," the Liverpool manager added. "I think he will show his quality and touch against Fiorentina, but his match fitness will not be the same as the others. Hopefully he can play well. He has good movement and is clever and will take up good positions.

"We understand the fans are frustrated because the staff are frustrated, too. We want to give him minutes on the pitch but when the team is not playing well it is the worst time to introduce a new player. We are trying to do the best for the team but also the best for the player.

"After four months without playing 90 minutes, and just training in the gym, the pool and on the bicycle, it would be a problem to put someone in from the start of a Premier League game. It doesn't matter about the quality or the value of the player; in this situation you are playing physical teams and so you have to introduce the player little by little."

While Reina and Emiliano Insúa are likely to be rested alongside Lucas against the Italians, Benítez is considering starting Steven Gerrard to sharpen his match fitness and plans to give Fernando Torres a first appearance in five weeks as a second-half substitute. The overall aim of the night, the manager admitted, is to "play well and face Arsenal [on Sunday] with more confidence".

David Ngog is expected to lead the Liverpool attack once more and the 20-year-old Frenchman, who has improved gradually in Torres's absence, defended his reputation yesterday as he faced questions for the first time since winning a controversial penalty to salvage a point against Birmingham City last month.

The Liverpool striker, who revealed Thierry Henry, another French forward accused of cheating lately, is his role model, said: "What happened after Birmingham is part of football. You know you will be criticised. I just try to keep my mind on the positive parts of my game. I didn't really speak to anyone about it around the club but I thought the criticism was unfair. I know I'm not that kind of player.

"Afterwards, Rafa just told me to be focused on the football and not on the criticism. For me, I just tried to jump out of the way of the tackle and make sure I wasn't touched. I wasn't thinking about winning a penalty, but things happen fast on a football pitch."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/dec/09/alberto-aquilani-liverpool-champions-league
    Goalkeepers
    No. Name
    1 Diego Cavalieri »
    25 Pepe Reina »
    41 Martin Hansen *

Defenders
    No. Name
    2 Glen Johnson »
    5 Daniel Agger »
    12 Fábio Aurélio »
    16 Sotiris Kyrgiakos »
    22 Emiliano Insúa * »
    23 Jamie Carragher »
    32 Stephen Darby *
    34 Martin Kelly »
    37 Martin Škrtel »
    38 Andrea Dossena »
    40 Daniel Ayala *

Midfielders
    No. Name
    4 Alberto Aquilani »
    8 Steven Gerrard »
    11 Albert Riera »
    15 Yossi Benayoun »
    20 Javier Mascherano »
    21 Lucas »
    26 Jay Spearing »
    28 Damien Plessis *
    39 Nathan Eccleston *
    47 Daniel Pacheco *

Forwards
    No. Name
    9 Fernando Torres »
    10 Andriy Voronin »
    18 Dirk Kuyt »
    19 Ryan Babel »
    24 David Ngog »
    46 David Amoo *
    48 Gerardo *

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Really hope Liverpool put it up to them as I'm a Lyon fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Ok may be a dead rubber but I'm still excited to see Aquilani start and fingers crossed one or two of the youngsters to get a run.

its not though - pool have to win to be seeded - 3 of last nights 3rd places are better if they lost and you would think one of tonights would be better also.

Fiorentina would want to top the group also so they have something to play for. Is a draw good enough for them to top the group?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Why is Aquilani only starting now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

he plans to rest lucas leiva for masch?! okaaaay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That_Guy wrote: »

because it took longer than expected to be back fit, and as soon as he did get back fit & get a couple of reserves/sub appearances, he got some form of asian/swine flu and was out again.

looking forward to seeing him tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Mr Alan wrote: »
    because it took longer than expected to be back fit, and as soon as he did get back fit & get a couple of reserves/sub appearances, he got some form of asian/swine flu and was out again.

looking forward to seeing him tonight.

Didn't know about the swine flu. Makes sense. He impressed me when he played against Arsenal in the Carling Cup. I know it was only 15-20 minutes but he seemed decent.

He could really kick start your season for ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

he plans to rest lucas leiva for masch?! okaaaay?

Or alternatively you could view it that he is demoting Lucas to the bench so that Aquilani and Masch get used to playing together as the future first choice midfield pairing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Because he is an Italian Saha and now the club doctors have had a good look at him they have probably relayed to rafa that he is actually made of Waterford Crystal and he has spunked 20 million on Bambi on Ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

I'm glad Kuyt might get a rest, he looks a bit more ragged than normal the last few weeks. It could be tough on Aqualiani to get a proper go in the game if the team assembled around him is patched together, but he just needs game time i would imagine, regardless of quality and intensity.

Boggles wrote: »
    Because he is an Italian Saha and now the club doctors have had a good look at him they have probably relayed to rafa that he is actually made of Waterford Crystal and he has spunked 20 million on Bambi on Ice.

That's €20m Euro which when the deal was done was STG £17m.

• Advertisement

That's €20m Euro which when the deal was done was STG £17m.

Oh right thats okay so.

So thats only about a million a minute, coming up to Santas arrival. ;)

Oh right thats okay so.

So thats only about a million a minute, coming up to Santas arrival. ;)

Still better value than Hargreaves has provided so far this season. ;)

:confused:

And the game that Aquilani will be playing in tonight is part of what sort of European competition exactly????

Also I love the implication that the Europa League is either not a proper competition or perhaps not taking place in Europe - not sure exactly what you mean but weak very weak Boggles.

Anyway this is all getting OT so I'm out for a while.

Anyway, back on topic.

Looking forward to seeing Aquilani this evening.

Was very impressive v Arsenal when I seen him.

Two home league games coming up after this game too after some tricky aways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

He's like the good China, Rafa only takes him out on special occasions in case he gets broken.

:confused:

And the game that Aquilani will be playing in tonight is part of what sort of European competition exactly????

:D

I'll let it go.

Looking forward to seeing the Italian meself.

Why is everyone so sure he will start, has the Smigged one confirmed it?

The Muppet wrote: »
    He's like the good China, Rafa only takes him out on special occasions in case he gets broken.

LOLLOLOLOLOL. Best joke in ages

I'll let it go.

Looking forward to seeing the Italian meself.

Why is everyone so sure he will start, has the Smigged one confirmed it?

Not confirmed it, but has strongly hinted at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Or maybe the fact that you'd rarely see a professional footballer being played until fully fit...

You may as well say Gerrard & Torres are some fine china too in that case.

Or maybe the fact that you'd rarely see a professional footballer being played until fully fit...

You may as well say Gerrard & Torres are some fine china too in that case.

He's been on the bench and fit for weeks according to Rafa, he just left him out because the opposition didn't suit him, go figure?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

He's been on the bench and fit for weeks according to Rafa, he just left him out because the opposition didn't suit him, go figure?:confused:

Sure that's obviously BS. If he was fully match fit, he would have been playing - at least more cameo's if not full games.

'Opposition didn't suit him' lol what, like, football teams?!

• Advertisement

Sure that's obviously BS. If he was fully match fit, he would have been playing - at least more cameo's if not full games.

Yeah, opposition didn't suit him is a pretty rubbish excuse.

Is this another scoop?

Match fit?

Hardly, when he hasn't played any matches.

LOL ,How will he get match fit sitting on the bench?

You'll have to address your second question to Rafa, i was paraphrasing his comments on the issue , I do agree the comments are funny.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Is this another scoop?

Match fit?
    Hardly, when he hasn't played any matches.

I never said match fit diid I? I assume he was fit to play as he was on the bench, If he's not fit why has he been on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yeah, opposition didn't suit him is a pretty rubbish excuse.

Well Rafa is the one that came out and said that he did not want to play Aquilani in case Aquilani made a costly mistake in any tight game, and said that he wants to ease Aquilani in during games that were not tight or or less importance. So yes he is playing him in a game that he thinks suits him.

Nobody said match fit, just fit.

Anyway it hardly matters now, he is finally looking like getting some game time and should get some more against Arsenal, so I am more keen to see him against Premier league teams than CL teams at this point.

The test for me will be after this game and the Arsenal game. Will he start getting on the pitch on a regular basis at that point or will he drop back to bench duty. Shall be interesting to see which happens.

Another Liverpool thread derailed.

Goodbye.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Well Rafa is the one that came out and said that he did not want to play Aquilani in case Aquilani made a costly mistake in any tight game, and said that he wants to ease Aquilani in during games that were not tight or or less importance. So yes he is playing him in a game that he thinks suits him.

Nobody said match fit, just fit.

Anyway it hardly matters now, he is finally looking like getting some game time and should get some more against Arsenal, so I am more keen to see him against Premier league teams than CL teams at this point.

The test for me will be after this game and the Arsenal game. Will he start getting on the pitch on a regular basis at that point or will he drop back to bench duty. Shall be interesting to see which happens.

Costly mistake in a tight game?? He's a pro footballer they've paid 20 mill for. What's been going so right for Liverpool that he can afford not to play him?? They've had enough costly mistakes with the players they are fielding, surely the idea is that he will have a positive impact on the stagnation?

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Another Liverpool thread derailed.

Goodbye.

lol
    Prolly the only noteworthy thing of this match is Aquilani starting.:pac:

Ush1 wrote: »
    Costly mistake in a tight game?? He's a pro footballer they've paid 20 mill for. What's been going so right for Liverpool that he can afford not to play him?? They've had enough costly mistakes with the players they are fielding, surely the idea is that he will have a positive impact on the stagnation?

Rafa's words not mine. I have being saying on here for the last few weeks that Aquilani should have been getting run outs for 15 to 30 minutes a game to bring up his levels of match fitness.

What will be interesting tonight is whether Fiorentina want to go for the top spot in the group or if they are willing to come second.

• Advertisement

Rafa's words not mine. I have being saying on here for the last few weeks that Aquilani should have been getting run outs for 15 to 30 minutes a game to bring up his levels of match fitness.

I'm not having a go at you at all mate, I just don't get Benitez. Bringing him on for a seconds at the end of the game, just strange decisions.

What will be interesting tonight is whether Fiorentina want to go for the top spot in the group or if they are willing to come second.

That's what I'm wondering. Well, Fiorentina will be glad to know Debrecen are chomping at the bit to beat Lyon:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1716/champions-league/2009/12/09/1676144/debrecen-coach-andras-herczeg-we-will-probably-lose-against

:p

Lyon will win their game, be a massive shock if they did not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,282 ✭✭✭slingerz

Would like to see Kelly get a run at RB and TBH I see El Zhar getting an outing on RW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Aquilani will play a blinder tonight and score two beautiful goals from long range, including one from his own half.

Alonso immediately forgotten.

• Advertisement

spockety wrote: »
    "Ha ha ha! Oh gosh that's funny! That's really funny! Do you write your own material? Do you? Because that is so fresh. You are the weakest link goodbye. You know, I've, I've never heard anyone make that joke before. Hmm. You're the first. I've never heard anyone reference, reference that outside the program before. Because that's what she says on the show right? Isn't it? You are the weakest link goodbye. And, and yet you've taken that and used it out of context to insult me in this everyday situation. God what a clever, smart girl you must be, to come up with a joke like that all by yourself. That's so fresh too. Any, any Titanic jokes you want to throw at me too as long as we're hitting these phenomena at the height of their popularity. God you're so funny!"

Oh Dear some one needs to change their sanitary towel.

Went for 2-2 13/1

2-1 to the Italians 12-1

Fiver on each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Aquilani will play a blinder tonight and score two beautiful goals from long range, including one from his own half.

Carlsberg dont do debuts but if they did..........:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Oh Dear some one needs to change their sanitary towel.

You're obviously not a big fan of the character in your sig. :rolleyes:

slingerz wrote: »
    Would like to see Kelly get a run at RB and TBH I see El Zhar getting an outing on RW.

El Zhar is ineligible as he wasn't name in the CL squad, which is a shame as otherwise it would be a perfect game to have him on from the start.:(

Kelly has a good shout as Degen is ineligible as well so if Johnson is rested then Kelly is the obvious one to slot in. Also he has been training with the first team the last few days so no worries about fitness. Fingers crossed he gets the full 90.

spockety wrote: »
    You're obviously not a big fan of the character in your sig. :rolleyes:

Oh I get it now. Sorry Spockety. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Eire-Dearg wrote: »

If Aquilani does score tonight, rafa will probably put him on the bench on Sunday V Arsenal . . to keep him fresh!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Any line up as of yet?

Off topic- why do a lot of United fans have such a horn for Rafa's selection policy?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

: Cavalieri, Darby, Agger, Skrtel, Insua, Benayoun, Mascherano, Aquilani, Dossena, Gerrard, Kuyt. Subs: Reina, Torres, Aurelio, Kyrgiakos, Carragher, Spearing, Pacheco.

Delighted for Darby, hope Pacheco gets a run out too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Sorry about this, been very busy, is this on the tv or do i need to find myself a stream folks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

No Ngog!

daithijjj wrote: »
    Sorry about this, been very busy, is this on the tv or do i need to find myself a stream folks?

Sky Sports 2 and Setanta Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Very surprised about N'gog

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Hopefully Pacheco will get 30 mins or so, and Torres as well if he is worth the risk.

Great to see Aqua and Darby starting.

Lol @ some of the reactions, If Ngog was starting some would be moaning!!

No pleasing some.

Come on the pool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭brianrcarney

setanta ireland

• Advertisement
Advertisement